• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeon graffiti

Croesus

Adventurer
One of the best 3.x ideas I read was from a story hour. There were signs and even artwork which could only be perceived correctly using darkvision. If you saw it with normal light, you wouldn't notice anything unusual.

TanithT

First Post
Why aren't dungeons filled with graffiti?

What kind of graffiti might adventurers find in a dungeon?

Bullgrit

Probably nothing we can post here without using a lot of asterisks.

Graffiti can be nice flavor/fluff text, especially in a city setting. I don't do a lot of "dungeon crawls" per se, where the premise is that for some reason you have a bunch of underground rooms populated by monsters guarding treasures of unknown origin with no visible ecosystem, economy or culture. But if you have a reason to go exploring underground, and a structure that makes sense, the graffiti should fit with the culture of its inhabitants.

Which generally means you're likely to see a lot of variants of the F-word in Orcish. Probably with crudely drawn illustrations.

If you look at the graffiti archaeologists have found on Roman walls, a pretty large percentage of it is something like "Lucius ****ed Mencius" or "Primus ****ed Principia". And the aforementioned illustrations. There's some pretty solid scholarly material on the subject if anyone cares enough to go digging for it.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Killroy was here...
Frodo lives...
Smarter as a zombie...
Ranger Bob loves Wench Wanda...
Look behind you...
For a good time, try the door third on the right...
Go Warhammer!

Also, lots of dirty pictures.

;)

Oh...5E is coming!!!!

Super Pony

Studded Muffin
"He who is valiant and pure of spirit may find the Holy Grail in the Castle of Aaargh"

Depending upon the most recent inhabitants of the dungeon:

Actual Dungeon Prisoners - Date ticks, tick tack toe, ticks for lunar phases, long division, epic ballads, detailed treasure maps, bad poetry, amazing poetry, insane ramblings, prayers, curses, exploding runes...>BOOM<

Small Evil Critters - Violent cartoons, excrement, more violent cartoons, hexes, wards against invaders, still more violent cartoons, chalk outlines, dead things pegged to walls and floors

Big Evil Critters - Big claw slashes...and my creativity just ran dry...to be continued

TheAuldGrump

First Post
"Ingvi is a louse!'

*In Orcish* 'Here I sit all broken hearted....'

'In this place I found nothing but bad beer and cruel women! This place is cursed!'

'Here Savn Strong Arm did lay him down and dee.'

*In Goblin* 'Hrgorgk+Savn - Best of Friends Forever, Rest Well My Friend.'

'Don't Bother - We Already Took The Treasure - Morak's Crew.'

The Auld Grump

the Jester

Legend
I've seen quite a few groups of pcs leave graffitti in dungeons, starting with the walls outside the Earth Temple in the ToEE ("Kord rules", "Pholtus sucks").

Remove ads