• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Dungeon] Which TSR Modules are "Classics"?

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Charwoman Gene said:
Terrible Trouble at Tragidore

Oh, by the gods, why did you remind us of that module?!?!? :eek:

I'd have to agree - it is a classic. (For all the wrong reasons, mind).

Cheers!

Silveras

First Post
Classics

In order of preference (and with reasons why):

• Temple of Elemental Evil - This was the definitive 'campaign in a book', with lots of NPCs, good guidance on what they would and would not do, and 'what if' notes for variant sequences of events.
  • Against the Giants series - Many of the same reasons, but also illustrated that a small, careful selection of monsters is much more memorable and cohesive than using any/all of them randomly.
  • Descent into the Depths of the Earth series - Much the same reasons, but also interesting encounters with Mind Flayers and the politics of the Underdark.
  • Queen of the Demonweb Pits - Excellent example of the outer planes and what a place with multiple planar gates might be like.
  • Desert of Desolation series - Great take on some traditional monsters, nice change of setting from the usual pseudo-European setting.
  • Saltmarsh series - Nice low-level plotting and reasonable politics.
  • Slavers series - Tough challenges and a nice range of locations.
  • White Plume Mountain - Classic explanation for why dungeons might be made as they are.
  • Tomb of Horrors - Proof that even heroes need to be both lucky and smart to survive.

Edit: List format

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
My all time favorite is White Plume Mountain. It is as much about exotic location and interesting weapons as it is about plot. My second favorite has to be Ravenloft. This module was the first I'd seen and ran that was more about the story then everything else. And each time it feels a little different.

havoclad

Explorer
Classics in no particular order.

B2: I started at least 3 campaigns with this, not too much plot, but gets everyone started on the right foot

G1-3: I so want to run a 3e conversion of this. Last campaign just missed...maybe this time.

S1: 1st try, TPK by the demi-lich...2nd try, they didn't make it past the 1st level.

S3: So different...so cool. Could be just the geek in me, but I loved watching PCs kill themselves trying to figure out the weapons.

I6: spawned a whole campaign setting!

Ed Cha

Community Supporter
My top 10 would be something like this:

1. GDQ Series
2. Keep on the Borderlands
3. White Plume Mountain
4. Slavers Series
5. Ghost Tower of Inverness
6. Expedition to the Barrier Peaks
7. Village of Hommlet
8. In Search of the Unknown
9. Saltmarsh Series
10. Secret of Bone Hill

Tomb of Horrors was never really a favorite of mine. I don't know what the fascination with it is about. I just don't find it that interesting to read.

Ed Cha

Community Supporter
Crothian said:
My all time favorite is White Plume Mountain. It is as much about exotic location and interesting weapons as it is about plot. My second favorite has to be Ravenloft. This module was the first I'd seen and ran that was more about the story then everything else. And each time it feels a little different.

Yeah, it's my favorite, too, actually. I love the cover art, the interior art, the plot, the storyline, the traps, the characters, the monsters, the magic items, and the ending! It's all great. And can you believe it was only 16 pages long!

I just put it behind the GDQ Series and Keep on the Borderlands because the former has this "epic" feel to it and the latter has this "beginning" charm about it.

VorpalBunny

Explorer
My 2 coppers:

Temple of Elemental Evil
For all of the reasons already mentioned.

Descent into the Depths of the Earth, Vault of the Drow
An excellent continuation to the G series, and out first look at the dark elves.

Queen of the Demonweb Pits
See above.

The Keep on the Borderlands
Just 'cause it was everyone's first, and you never forget your first time. ;)

Expedition to the Barrier Peaks
The first D&D module to mix Sci-Fi elements into Fantasy. And it's a lot of fun, too.

The "Slavers" Series
A great story, and a lot of fun.

Remove ads