• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Dungeon] Which TSR Modules are "Classics"?

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Most of the ones I'd mention have already been covered. I'll pipe up for S3 - Expedition to the Barrier Peaks and S4 - Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth as being classic. S4, though, should really be coupled with WG4 - Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun in a minicampaign.

A couple not mentioned are:

Against the Cult of the Reptile God (EDIT: OK, so someone already mentioned it above. Still...) - the title alone is classic, but this is also a good, solid low-level module. It relies a little too much on the PCs getting someone to help them out, but that can be easily remedied.

Isle of the Ape - Kong Island for AD&D. I can feel the humidity of the jungle just thinking about this one.

Last edited:

Endur

First Post
The classic adventures:

B2 Keep on the Borderlands (the one that started it all)
G1-G3,D1-D3,Q1 (the classic mega campaign)
S1-4 lots of wierdness in old tombs
I6 Ravenloft (maybe the best "story" of any classic adventure)

Erik Mona said:
Folks,

I'm curious which D&D or AD&D adventures from the 1980s you consider "classics."

Obviously, Against the Giants and Tomb of Horrors fit into that category. Any others?

Why?

Your feedback is very important to a devious plan I have for Dungeon Magazine.

Thanks!

--Erik Mona

Dungannon

First Post
Personally, I enjoyed the Giant series, Isle of Dread, and, as Skarp Hedin mentioned, the Gauntlet and Sentinal double feature. :)

hunter1828

Butte Hole Surfer
B1 - In Search of the Unknown

I have used this module 7 or 8 times with different groups as a starting point and it always works. The customizability of the module also makes it easy to adapt to any version of OD&D, AD&D, or D&D 3.0/3.5.

hunter1828

Erik Mona said:
I'm curious which D&D or AD&D adventures from the 1980s you consider "classics."

Obviously, Against the Giants and Tomb of Horrors fit into that category. Any others?

Why?
Apart from the ones you already mentioned:

A1, A2, A3, A4 - the Slavers series - except for the rail-roading at the end of A3, a nice series of adventure wrapped around a good plot.

U1, U2, U3 - the Saltmarsh series - a great combination of investigating, fighting, diplomacy, and tricky underwater reconnoissance forces (typically) land-based PCs think a little differently.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
T1 Village of Hommlet (but not ToEE)
B1 and B2 In Search of the Unknown and Keep on the Borderlands (More for nostalgia than actual merit.)
B7 Rahasia (Was a very fun adventure indeed.)
I2-5 Desert of Desolation was indeed a great series to play.

Dragonlance and Ravenloft have both reemerged from the shadows, so 'nuff said there.

The Dungeon Master's Design Kit. I still use the chase sheets from that set.

Ones that I played when they were Companions Inc. products, were bought by TSR, announced, then never actually appeared - the Islandia series (Curse on Hareth, Brotherhood of the Bolt, and Plague of Terror.) As I recall Roger E. Moore did not like them, for whatever reason...

The Auld Grump

Mirth

Explorer
Erik,

I hope this means what I think it means :D Anyway, I'm structuring my top 10 based on which modules were to most enjoyable to play and most often re-run:

1. I6 Ravenloft - I must have run this a dozen times back in the day. Perfect.
2. T1 Village of Hommelet (and much later T1-4 Temple) - Hey Elmo!
3. GDQ series - Gall-Dang Queen of all campaigns :D
4. X2 Chateau D'Amberville - The House of Usher, pre-Ravenloft
5. B2 Keep on the Borderlands - Everybody I used to play with started here.
6. S2 White Plume Mountain - You too can be Elric!
7. S1 Tomb of Horrors - On this week's Cribs: Acererak N' Roll, playas ;)
8. S3 Expedition to the Barrier Peaks - Cue theremin & release the pygmies
9. A1-4 Slavers series - Travel the world for free... just put on these chains.
10. U1-3 Saltmarsh series - First the Fiend Folio and now this? What will those crazy Brits think of next?

Making that list brought back some great memories. Good luck with the project and I'm watching to see what everyone else comes up with...

Jay

Pants

First Post
This thread has me feeling all tingly and it's NOT because of PirateCat (well, maybe.... ;) ).

I've heard so many things about all the classic modules and having them in a 3.5 form would be spectacular.

Remove ads