• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Dungeon] Which TSR Modules are "Classics"?

Erik Mona

Adventurer
Folks,

I'm curious which D&D or AD&D adventures from the 1980s you consider "classics."

Obviously, Against the Giants and Tomb of Horrors fit into that category. Any others?

Why?

Your feedback is very important to a devious plan I have for Dungeon Magazine.

Thanks!

--Erik Mona

EricNoah

Adventurer
X1 -- Isle of Dread -- a refreshing early break from the dungeon

B1 -- In search of the unknown -- a dungeon full of weird rooms and no monsters!

Desert of Desolation series -- the scope of the series and variety of challenges were impressive

Slavers series, for obvious reasons

Expedition to the Barrier Peaks -- I think 3E could finally do this one right!

talinthas

First Post
allow me to show my bias here and say DL1-14. the dragonlance modules were a great and complete epic campaign unto themselves.

Otherwise, Ravenloft (I6), Chateau des ambervilles or whatever it was called, and i totally agree with eric's thoughts on X1 and Desert of Desolation.

Though, i also have fond memories of rahasia....

Henry

Autoexreginated
Erik Mona said:
Obviously, Against the Giants and Tomb of Horrors fit into that category. Any others?

Why?

OOH! a chance to jump in early!

B2 - Keep on the Borderlands - it was probably the first D&D experience for every D&D player for a 10-year time span. Every "cluster dungeon" that came after it paid homage to it.

the Entire S1-S4 series: Tomb, White Plume, Expedition, and Tsojcanth. Each one brought a fresh perspective to modules, and 4 of the valid module types - The "Meatgrinder", the "Quest", the "Wonderland", and the "Balanced" module, are directly descended from these 4 modules.

Last edited:

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
G'day Erik!

My classic modules would have to include:

DL1 - Dragons of Despair
An extremely inventive setting and storyline. Although the other modules in the series don't always work well, the first is a classic, especially for the map and setting of Xak Tsaroth

G1-3 - Against the Giants
It was the first, and that's about enough by itself. What makes it special is the layered revelations that appear throughout the series. If G1 had stood on its own - not that good - but it continued through to...

D1-2 - Descent into the Depths of the Earth
An extremely different adventuring area, far, far below the surface of the earth.

D3 - Vault of the Drow
Where all manner of revelations occur about the AD&D world. Although the drow are cruelly misused later one, this one is glorious.

Q1 - Queen of the Demonweb Pits
Somewhat out of place in the GDQ series for reasons I've written about elsewhere, this is a strange, strange place which really deserves classic status.

I3 - Pharoah
My all-time favourite module of all time. I don't think there's a better blend of epic plot, role-playing, problem-solving and adventuring. The formatting of the entire module is also gloriously clear.

I4 - Oasis of the White Palm
There's so much going on in this module - a gloriously rich tapestry. Great fun both to play and DM. NPCs are given enough detail for the DM to make them memorable, without too much being given as to make the DM refer to pages of notes.

I5 - Lost Tomb of Martek
Here only because it finishes the Desert of Desolation series, it's okay, but not as great as the first two.

S1 - Tomb of Horrors
I like killing PCs. Legendary status because of its deadliness - and because really good players can complete it.

S2 - White Plume Mountain
A very classic plot - recover the stolen magic swords - and some real 'old-school' D&D encounters that require good playing skills to overcome.

I am not particularly fond of S3 or S4.

B2 - Keep on the Borderlands
Kick the door down, kill the monster, take its treasure. The best introductory module for any version of D&D. (The Sunless Citadel is second, IMO). You don't want every module like Keep, but it's a great way to start.

I6 - Ravenloft
Just because. :)

T1 - The Village of Hommlet
It's flawed, but it's got a lot of things going for it. T1-4 is not classic, IMO.

None of the following qualify as "classic" in my mind: WG4, WG5, WG6, I1, I2, A1-4, T1-4, U1-3.

Cheers!

eryndel

Explorer
I'll weigh in with
X1 Isle of Dread
S3 Expedition to Barriar Peaks (I still remember suffering my group through it in 6th grade... this adventure wasn't meant for 6th graders... :eek: )
And the entire of Desert of Desolation series was pure gold.

Another one I had fun with was Lich Lords by Role Aids.

Man this brings me back.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Yay for the double post!

Just a couple of notes on a module I don't consider classic:

S4 - Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth: the lack of logic of the encounters is what gets me here.

WG4 - Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun: almost a classic. It's just the lack of real material beyond "it's a weird abandoned shrine" that gets me. If there had been a follow-up module with more on Tharizdun (by Gygax), it'd rate higher.

Cheers!

Last edited:

My Favorites:

G1-2-3 Against the Giants
First adventure I owned (after B2), and to this day I love fighting and DMing giants because of it.

B2 Keep on the Boarderlands
I have been through this adventure probably 20+ times, bith as a player and a DM. I still love reading it, just to bring back the memories.

D1-2 Descent Into the Depths of the Earth
Drow & Kuo-Toa, and a huge cavern and temple I never did finish exploring.

WG4 Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun
Evil, evil, evil. This adventure could be the basis of a campaign that could lead up to the end of the world. I love reading this adventue, but never had the chance to run it.

S4 Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth
A great adventure, it ties in with WG4 above, and it comes with a 2nd book full of new monsters and magic items!

Remove ads