• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Dungeon] Which TSR Modules are "Classics"?

Melan

Explorer
What, no mention of Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan? Well, C1 is a dungeon module based on aztec mythology, with a unique premise (you have to get out of the dungeon, not into it), memorable encounters (intelligent giant slug, the hidden tomb of a vampire, the nereid) and a heck of a feel. The illustration booklet is also top notch, not to mention the cover (fire breathing bat-thingy drawn by the Master, Erol Otus himself).

Also: L1: Secret of Bone Hill is one of the earliest modules which provide you with a small setting where you can set your own adventures.

I'll add my vote to Keep on the Borderlands, because you always remember your first time. ;)

Dungeonland, for pure fun.

But I'm going to add one nobody has mentioned yet.

Destiny of Kings (N3).

Why that one? The execution within the module was hit or miss. But I'll always remember DoK because it was the first module--in my experience, of course--that presented a wide-spread adventure area. Keep on the Borderlands had the wilderness, but the focus was in the caves. DoK was a "complex" (well, for the time and for an 11-year-old reader) module, where the story required you to meet specific goals at specific, and different, places.

I may be the only person in the world who considers it a "classic," but it's definitely on my list. :)

S'mon

Legend
X1 & X2, Isle of Dread & Castle Amber, are definite classics. GDQ of course.

Sadly I don't have many of the early modules. IMO 'Against the Cult of the Reptile God' isn't too great, sadly.

One non-TSR classic from the '80s is the Irillian scenario/city campaign setting published in White Dwarf circa 1982.

S'mon

Legend
If it's a question of redoing modules for 3e, I'd vote for X1: Isle of Dread, and B2: Keep on the Borderlands (kept generic, not tied to Greyhawk or Mystara - although suggestions for doing so are fine). These are the two I can see myself buying and using.

Morpheus

Exploring Ptolus
Mistwell said:
Whichever one of the Slavers series (A3 I suspect) started the players out naked and in total darkness in a twisting cave complex. It's pretty wicked when the best weapon you have is a bone you were able to scrounge up off the ground, and your wizard has no spell book, and no light to read it even if they did.

A4 In The Dungeon of the Slave Lords

Kylearan

First Post
Well met!

My classic selection:

DL1 - first AD&D adventure, wonderful story ("what do you mean, no cleric spells or dragons - bahh!") and a good dungeon. The draconians inspired fear and seemed real enough.

I6 - "I am the Ancient, I am the land." Still can't forget these words. Ravenloft uses classic Horror elements and captured not only the PCs, but all players I've led through the adventure as well. And as a player, I got totally immersed in the story. (By the way, I liked Ravenloft II, but don't consider it classic. Although my players went mad like their PCs when I played both modules together as presented in I10. Lots of fun.)

X? Castle Amber - I remember it as being weird with all the French names and the fog. Clearly lots of fun and a nice set of intrigues in a rather packed setting.

S4 Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth - Apart from the well-known Vampire illustration, I fondly remember the module because it has this nice extra-rules booklet which made its way into Unearthed Arcana almost completely. Very nice (nasty?) surprises for the players.

?? Isle of Apes - Played it only once and didn't recognize the fact it is based on King Kong until we met Kong himself. Although our messing with and not really knowing the rules made the adventure rather easy. (I think our barbarian killed Kong within three rounds or so; but hey! we were young and needed the money ;-))

Modules I didn't like but others find "classic":
Tomb of Horrors - dont't like all the deadly traps and stuff

Keep on the Borderlands - the DM was just horrible

White Plume Mountain - see above; dislike of talking and self-explaining magic items; hated Black Razor the rest of the campaign

Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan - too "D&D World Championship"-like. Although it was fun to play ... Ok, I liked it.

Kylearan

JeffB

Legend
Oooooo…I knew I’d be likin’ Erik in charge of Dungeon!

Obviously G,D,Q are classics as are the S series

I’d like to recommend

A1,A2,A3,A4 (not the supermod): Not only do these mods have some of the best titles (Slave Pits of the Undercity! How cool is that?), But also have many classic elements like GDQ: A mission that gets more and more dangerous, as more twists and turns are encountered, Taking PC’s into the heart of some very dangerous territory. Lot’s of Roleplaying opportunity, as well as investigation, and combat.

C2: Ghost Tower of Inverness: A great take on Moorcock’s Vanishing Tower. The ecology is a bit skewed, but a great mix of puzzles & combat. The “chessboard” rocks!

X2: Chateau D’Amberville.: A great example of taking existing fiction and transplanting it into a D&D campaign w/out it seeming out of place. Plenty of opportunity for Roleplaying w/ some great NPC’s, puzzle solving and combat, along with some cool demi-plane hopping. Highly underrated

U1 The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh: Excellent low level plot-line. I mean c’mon, A Haunted House, a Mystery, Smugglers, and a ship named “Sea Ghost”, what’s not to love?

T1: The Village of Homlett: along w/ B2 & B4 this is a mini-campaign w/in a module. Interesting NPC’s, A great home base for PC’s, a nice dungeon to get the party in trouble, and a springboard for an entire campaign, all in so few pages.

B4: The Lost City: Another underrated module. The first “desert” module for D&D (predates the I series). Stumble upon the ruins of a buried city, which still thrives w/ some very weird NPCs. Lots of role-play, some combat, and the expandability to make it an entire campaign.

B2: The Keep on the Borderlands: No explanation needed

B1: In Search of the Unknown: see explanation for B2

C1: Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan: Get out of a very bad place before you die from poison gas. Creates lots of tension and excitement. nuff said.

X3 The Curse of Xanathon: another good mystery, and possibly the first “town/city” adventure for D&D. Makes for some interesting roleplaying/situations when the party’s dwarf is suddenly outlawed.

My favorites:

1. B2 Keep on the Borderlands
2. B4 The Lost City
3. I3-5 Desert of Desolation
4. I6 Ravenloft
5. GDQ1-7 (Giants, Drow, Lolth)
6. A1-4 Slavers
7. X2 Castle Amber
8. T1-4 Temple of Elemental Evil
9. S4 Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth
10. X1 Isle of Dread

Why?

- Nostalgic reasons, obviously -- these remind me of my early days playing D&D/AD&D
- Many of these adventures combine multiple elements that allow for free-form exploration (like a small town, various dungeons, wilderness areas to be explored) -- the party can wander about and still be within the bounds of the adventure, free to pursue their own goals if they want
- While there may be a story element, the design of the adventure is open enough that the DM and players exert the greatest control over the story, what the links are, and how it plays out. This is my criticism of the Dragonlance series, since it's a story-driven railroad.
- There are a mix of encounters, many of which are quite memorable -- some of the classic monster encounters ("Bree yark!") puzzles, and traps.
- Lots of plot hook potential (especially the adventures with "rumor" tables)
- Memorable NPCs -- generally regardless of the DM (Strahd, the Ambers, the inhabitants of Hommlet, Obmi the dwarf)
- Replayablility is high -- lots of encounters, different ways to run them, different approaches to the adventure.

Others that I consider classic that don't make my top ten list:

X4/X5 Master of the Desert Nomads/Temple of Death
L1 Secret of Bone Hill
U1-3 Saltmarsh Series
S1 Tomb of Horror
S2 White Plume Mountain
S3 Expedition to the Barrier Peaks
UK1 Beyond the Crystal Cave
C2 Ghost Tower of Inverness

Last edited:

DMScott

First Post
My classic list are the modules that taught me to DM when I was 11 or so and trying to figure out this AD&D thing:

B1 In Search of the Unknown - a dungeon, and practice in stocking it.

T1 The Village of Hommlet - the sleepy little village with adventure nearby.

X1 Isle of Dread - Wilderness adventures are also cool.

I1 Dwellers of the Forbidden City - Ruins are as much fun as dungeons.

G1 Steading of the Hill Giant Chief
G2 Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant Jarl
G3 Hall of the Fire Giant King
- Themed encounter areas linked in a chain, where tactics and setting were as or more important than individual fights.

S1 Tomb of Horrors - An example of tricks and traps (though probably too many in a small area).

C1 Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan - You don't have to go with a Medieval Europe theme to make a good adventure (or campaign).

S3 Expedition to the Barrier Peaks - In fact, you can use any inspiration you like so long as you make it fun.

There are lots (and lots, and lots) of other adventures that I like and steal parts of, but these are the ones that had the most effect on the way I DM today. Great little trip down memory lane...

Last edited:

Remove ads