• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General #Dungeon23

M_Natas

Hero
Second that... Your art style kinda reminds me a bit of some of the Planescape: Torment areas. Those maps would make great video game environments.
Thank you both. I try to make my maps gameable. Like ... when In doubt for a direction for the maps, I pick the one that would make for a more fun game experience and also I try to make the maps easily digestible. Like most of the D&D Maps ... the heavy lifting is done by the text. If you would see a map of the sword coast without the text, it could also be just an area at the west coast of the US or somewhere in Sweden or something. Fantasy is only brought in through the names of places. The same for most overview/dungeon maps. Without some textbox descriptions it is just some architecture.
That's what I not want for my maps.

-‐-------------------------

So here is
Day 140 - Planktown - watermaker's hut

20230520_214643.jpg

M_Natas

Hero
Thank you both. I try to make my maps gameable. Like ... when In doubt for a direction for the maps, I pick the one that would make for a more fun game experience and also I try to make the maps easily digestible. Like most of the D&D Maps ... the heavy lifting is done by the text. If you would see a map of the sword coast without the text, it could also be just an area at the west coast of the US or somewhere in Sweden or something. Fantasy is only brought in through the names of places. The same for most overview/dungeon maps. Without some textbox descriptions it is just some architecture.
That's what I not want for my maps.

-‐-------------------------

So here is
Day 140 - Planktown - watermaker's hut

View attachment 285565
Day 141 - Planktown - Small residential hut
20230521_214632.jpg

gorice

Hero
Once again a couple of days late, but hanging in there. I feel I've been struggling creatively recently, but I'm starting to build some momentum again, which is nice.

15: Kitchens
  • Warm light leaks from a high and greasy window. An industrial-scale kitchen, with black ovens, stained benches, crumbling herbs hanging from walls, every kind of pot, pan, knife, and spoon. Stone basin fed by a thick pipe with a brass tap handle.
  • (?) Tap water is clean and cool.
  • (??) Metal grate in the floor leads to the cloaca crawlspace. Corroded and brittle.
  • (??) Dumb waiter chute leads up scores of feet into darkness, to the banquet hall on level 3. The waiter itself is gone. Chute is stone, maybe 2 feet across, and goes straight up.

16: Cloaca: Crawlspace
  • The sewer pipes are dark and crawl-height only. Narrow enough that turning back is difficult. Mostly dry, but reek of blood and filth.
  • Many small pipes lead in from various places.
  • (!) Occasional skittering bonerats. They may swarm , especially if nest is threatened.

17: Cloaca: Exit Shaft
  • Long crawlspace, mostly 45 degree slope. Just wet enough to be slippery.
  • Joins to the city sewer.

18: Cloaca: Bonerat Lair
  • (!) a collapsed section of pipe, dug out into an egg nursery for a swam of eyeless, hairless, pale, clicking bonerats. Rats will swarm from the sewers to defend eggs or grab an easy meal. They eat pretty much anything.

19: Cloaca: Pit Trap
  • 10’ pit, floor bursting with the points of long rusty nails.
  • (?) The roof of the pit has a tangible seam that can be pried open with a tool, but will close on its own unless held. Connects to the outside of the green door.

20: Spore Hive
  • (!) Lair of the sponge-like, fleshy nest of the spore hive. Kill with fire only.
  • (!) Air thick with spore haze that spreads to nearby areas.
  • (!) Disturb hive = bad time. Rapid spore deployment, assault of confusion -> madness -> direct control.
  • (?) An exposed bit of pipe leaks water into a puddle below. Healing grubs swim in the puddle.
  • (?) Water, d6: 1 = tastes bad, but OK; 2 = saline; 3 = entheogens (trip); 4 = toxins (poisoned); 5 = virus (disease); 6 = clean.

21: Ghoul Barracks
  • (!) Filthy lair of the ghoul army. Broken bunks, blackened central firepit, scraps of blankets, rusted weapons, tiny black insects, evil smell. The ghouls sleep piled together like corpses.
  • (??) Brass keyring with two keys hangs from a nail at the back of the room. These open the blue and crimson doors. Keys are colour-coded with stones in their bases.

Last edited:

M_Natas

Hero
Once again a couple of days late, but hanging in there. I feel I've been struggling creatively recently, but I'm starting to build some momentum again, which is nice.

15: Kitchens
  • Warm light leaks from a high and greasy window. An industrial-scale kitchen, with black ovens, stained benches, crumbling herbs hanging from walls, every kind of pot, pan, knife, and spoon. Stone basin fed by a thick pipe with a brass tap handle.
  • (?) Tap water is clean and cool.
  • (??) Metal grate in the floor leads to the cloaca crawlspace. Corroded and brittle.
  • (??) Dumb waiter chute leads up scores of feet into darkness, to the banquet hall on level 3. The waiter itself is gone. Chute is stone, maybe 2 feet across, and goes straight up.

16: Cloaca: Crawlspace
  • The sewer pipes are dark and crawl-height only. Narrow enough that turning back is difficult. Mostly dry, but reek of blood and filth.
  • Many small pipes lead in from various places.
  • (!) Occasional skittering bonerats. They may swarm , especially if nest is threatened.

17: Cloaca: Exit Shaft
  • Long crawlspace, mostly 45 degree slope. Just wet enough to be slippery.
  • Joins to the city sewer.

18: Cloaca: Bonerat Lair
  • (!) a collapsed section of pipe, dug out into an egg nursery for a swam of eyeless, hairless, pale, clicking bonerats. Rats will swarm from the sewers to defend eggs or grab an easy meal. They eat pretty much anything.

19: Cloaca: Pit Trap
  • 10’ pit, floor bursting with the points of long rusty nails.
  • (?) The roof of the pit has a tangible seam that can be pried open with a tool, but will close on its own unless held. Connects to the outside of the green door.

20: Spore Hive
  • (!) Lair of the sponge-like, fleshy nest of the spore hive. Kill with fire only.
  • (!) Air thick with spore haze that spreads to nearby areas.
  • (!) Disturb hive = bad time. Rapid spore deployment, assault of confusion -> madness -> direct control.
  • (?) An exposed bit of pipe leaks water into a puddle below. Healing grubs swim in the puddle.
  • (?) Water, d6: 1 = tastes bad, but OK; 2 = saline; 3 = entheogens (trip); 4 = toxins (poisoned); 5 = virus (disease); 6 = clean.

21: Ghoul Barracks
  • (!) Filthy lair of the ghoul army. Broken bunks, blackened central firepit, scraps of blankets, rusted weapons, tiny black insects, evil smell. The ghouls sleep piled together like corpses.
  • (??) Brass keyring with two keys hangs from a nail at the back of the room. These open the blue and crimson doors. Keys are colour-coded with stones in their bases.
You go! Why is there a Ghoul army? Right next to a spore hive? 😱
‐----------------
Day 143 - Planktown - docks
20230523_213037.jpg

gorice

Hero
You go! Why is there a Ghoul army? Right next to a spore hive? 😱
The ghoul army serves the ghoul sorcerer who makes his lair on this floor. We'll get to him next week.

As for the spore hive... I dunno! That's just the thing that popped into my head. The way I see it, the barracks, refectory, and cool rooms are all connected to the red hall, and the spore hive is off in a disused section nearby. Probably blocking an alternate path to the sorcerer.

I'm liking Planktown, by the way. Seeing the picture 'zoom out' as you add things is pretty cool.

M_Natas

Hero
The ghoul army serves the ghoul sorcerer who makes his lair on this floor. We'll get to him next week.

As for the spore hive... I dunno! That's just the thing that popped into my head. The way I see it, the barracks, refectory, and cool rooms are all connected to the red hall, and the spore hive is off in a disused section nearby. Probably blocking an alternate path to the sorcerer.

I'm liking Planktown, by the way. Seeing the picture 'zoom out' as you add things is pretty cool.
Thanks. After today I have one more Room for Planktown:

Day 144 - Planktown - garden

20230524_214826.jpg

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads