D&D General #Dungeon23

M_Natas

Hero
Dungeon23 started because of one tweet. So you can do D24 :).

But D24 will not br for me. It was quite a ride, but in the end It took up a lot of my creative free time.
#Dungeon23 is done! I'm a free elf now!

Days 361 - 365 - Dragon Wyrmling Lair
20231228_231245.jpg

• 361 - Hidden cave entrance - climb 20 feet - 2 kobolds stand guard
  • 362 - Main chamber / meeting room - 1d4 kobolds
  • 363 - Goblin dormitory - 1d4 kobolds are sleeping here
  • 364 - Kitchen - Kobold Shaman
  • 365 - Dragon Lair - Black Dragon Wyrmling
20230113_082459_0011.png

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I somehow missed all of this. I'd definitely consider participating in the future. Is there a D24?
I have heard of people doing d24, yes.

Not sure if it's going to be quite the same thing as d23 - I guess we'll see! I do note that on Sean McCoy's substack (where he first publicized his idea of #dungeon23) he hasn't posted since Jan 1 2023. So to any extent there was anything even remotely "official" about this, McCoy's not promoting a d24 afaik

Of course nothing stopping you from going for it. You can even create a thread here on ENW, which I would definitely subscribe to if you want to share your work as you go, or find a group of sympathetic ears if you get stuck

gorice

Hero
A week late due to holiday distractions, but here it is, the final week! I won't be doing it for 2024, but I would like to eventually give 2023's work another pass and make some proper maps so it is playable.

22: History Section
  • (!) The shambling, starved, eyeless horror.

23: Occult Section
  • (!) Every book is sealed with a poison glyph on a ribbon of paper.
  • Any occult book you need, is here.
24: Astronomy Section
  • (!) Leering stone gargoyle in the door. It’s open mouth expels poison gas when the door is opened.

25: Reshelving Area
  • (!) An army of sacrifice mummies, silent undead servants in porcelain masks and coloured ribbons, shuffle endlessly, redistributing small piles of research materials and marching up and down the walls. When disturbed, they all stop and turn as one.
  • Vastly high and wide hall lined with desks, lit by a skylights and chandeliers.

26: Spiral Hall
  • The corridor twists until it is upside down.
  • (?) Gravity moves with the ribbon of hall.

27: Inverted Stair
  • (?) Descends upward to the crown.

28: Crown: Hangar
  • A room open to the elements on one side. The world seems far, far above.
  • Within: a 10’ sphere of metal, dripping ice, hovering motionlessly just above the floor.
  • (?) Touching the sphere causes it to open a ramp entrance. Within: a seat for one pilot, surrounded by tiny needles. Sit to be impaled by the needles and whisked away to somewhere else…

29: Crown: Map Room
  • A vast map of the continent, carved in relief on a circular table.

30: Crown: Caskets
  • 3 sarcophagi with lids in the shape of dead emperors, sealed with something waxy.
  • (!) Each sarcophagus contains a bespoke biological warfare agent.
  • (?) Also a lot of gold.

31: Crown: Diamond Garden
  • A spherical room filled with planters holding dead trees. The walls are milkily transparent.
  • (!) Standing perfectly still: the spectre of the emperor-thing, wearing a bristling crown of thunderbolts, and holding skysever, the sword that can cut the heavens. Gravity is dependant on his orientation.
    • Mien: Rasping, monosyllabic.
    • Wants: Silence.
    • Needs: Nothing.
    • Fears: Nothing.

M_Natas

Hero
A week late due to holiday distractions, but here it is, the final week! I won't be doing it for 2024, but I would like to eventually give 2023's work another pass and make some proper maps so it is playable.

22: History Section
  • (!) The shambling, starved, eyeless horror.

23: Occult Section
  • (!) Every book is sealed with a poison glyph on a ribbon of paper.
  • Any occult book you need, is here.
24: Astronomy Section
  • (!) Leering stone gargoyle in the door. It’s open mouth expels poison gas when the door is opened.

25: Reshelving Area
  • (!) An army of sacrifice mummies, silent undead servants in porcelain masks and coloured ribbons, shuffle endlessly, redistributing small piles of research materials and marching up and down the walls. When disturbed, they all stop and turn as one.
  • Vastly high and wide hall lined with desks, lit by a skylights and chandeliers.

26: Spiral Hall
  • The corridor twists until it is upside down.
  • (?) Gravity moves with the ribbon of hall.

27: Inverted Stair
  • (?) Descends upward to the crown.

28: Crown: Hangar
  • A room open to the elements on one side. The world seems far, far above.
  • Within: a 10’ sphere of metal, dripping ice, hovering motionlessly just above the floor.
  • (?) Touching the sphere causes it to open a ramp entrance. Within: a seat for one pilot, surrounded by tiny needles. Sit to be impaled by the needles and whisked away to somewhere else…

29: Crown: Map Room
  • A vast map of the continent, carved in relief on a circular table.

30: Crown: Caskets
  • 3 sarcophagi with lids in the shape of dead emperors, sealed with something waxy.
  • (!) Each sarcophagus contains a bespoke biological warfare agent.
  • (?) Also a lot of gold.

31: Crown: Diamond Garden
  • A spherical room filled with planters holding dead trees. The walls are milkily transparent.
  • (!) Standing perfectly still: the spectre of the emperor-thing, wearing a bristling crown of thunderbolts, and holding skysever, the sword that can cut the heavens. Gravity is dependant on his orientation.
    • Mien: Rasping, monosyllabic.
    • Wants: Silence.
    • Needs: Nothing.
    • Fears: Nothing.
Congratulations!

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I got unstuck this past week on the final 1/6th of my tower setting (yes, my mind has continued to think about my dungeon23 setting, even here in 2024! Brains - 🤷‍♂️ ). The top of my tower was the seat of power for the creators of the tower. But something happened, and there was conflict. That conflict led to a situation where things have changed, and all of a sudden the impregnable tower was not open at the bottom.

And I had been stuck - should I describe things as they are now (breaking down) or as they used to be (when the “creators” were in power)? Most of my journaling was of “the before times”; but for the adventure/setting, I think I will add to every level of the setting at least one or two tables that show ways in which the tower is “no longer like it was” - things like beasts released, roving bands of ne’er do wells, etc.

And specifically, at the top of the tower, there was an invasion. So I want to complete the seat of power and what the rooms all were “in its prime”; and again create tables to allow GMs to roll up “what it’s like now”…

As noted, this unlocks a lot; and also makes for a much better story - which is great! It’s the hook I needed to keep propelling adventurers to figure out what’s going on

Remove ads