• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General #Dungeon23

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
2.13-14.jpeg

2.13 & 2.14 Foreman's Office & Quarters
  • First Glance
    • The outer door is spiked shut from the outside.
    • The interior of 2.13 is a former office; 2.14 is a living chamber
  • Closer Look
    • A mining pick, strangely rust-free after all these years, can be found in the debris
  • Secrets
    • A crazed undead dwarf (the foreman) is trapped in here. Attacks until destroyed.
    • The mining pick does extra damage against stone and metal

M_Natas

Hero
Day 45

I recklessly plunged into the depths of the Star of the North's cargo hold, never imagining the horrors that awaited me. To my dismay, I discovered what remained of the crew - their once proud and graceful elven bodies now fused and corrupted by a monstrous entity. This abomination had taken root in the hull of the ship, using the sailors as hosts to breed and propagate its kind.

Trembling with fear, I tried to keep my distance, but I could feel its dark presence bearing down on me. Its tendrils and vines crept closer and closer, as if sensing my presence. I knew I had to act quickly, before it was too late.

In a flash, my fears were realized as I witnessed a fish being dragged away into the shadows by tendrils I couldn't even see. That was all the impetus I needed to make my escape. I knew that I must find a way to destroy the horror, before it could spread any further. I would need to find a powerful magical flame, one that could penetrate the depths of the sea and burn even the darkest parts of the ship to ashes. Only then could I ensure that this evil would never again threaten the world above.
View attachment 275525
Day 46 - the main deck

The main deck of the Star of the North. The ship I need to get away from and hopefully burn to the ground. The poor souls of the sailors...

20230215_074521.jpg
20230215_074548.jpg

Mad_Jack

Legend
Damn you, verisimilitude! :p

In drawing up a headquarters for a company of mercenary caravan guards in the town, I realized they'd also need stables for their horses...

And I'd also need a local boarding house for members of caravans coming through town...

But all those travelers need someplace to eat and drink...
So now the town has another tavern...
(Which required a brewery...)
And a public eating house...
And a brothel...
And someone has to wash the linens from the boarding house, so now there's a laundry...

And then something else occurred to me, and I had to go back and redesign three or four of the previous buildings to include privies*...

Aaaargh!

:p:p:p:p

*(Personally, I blame Marvel Comics for that one.)

Cadence

Legend
Supporter

In drawing up a headquarters for a company of mercenary caravan guards in the town, I realized they'd also need stables for their horses...

And I'd also need a local boarding house for members of caravans coming through town...

And a brothel...
And someone has to wash the linens from the boarding house, so now there's a laundry...

And then something else occurred to me, and I had to go back and redesign three or four of the previous buildings to include privies*...

Aaaargh!

Which reminds me, I haven't thought about where all the chamber pots came from yet...

gorice

Hero

And a brothel...

Aaaargh!

This one's easy. Just make the entry: "A small town."

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Room 79 - The North Mining Tunnel

This 300' long tunnel with side passages has been mined by many over the years, including before it was absorbed by the Vault. The current experts (Hjuldhor, Gostraen, and Thulgrami - in room #55) have decided it is mostly played out and moved their activities to the South Mining Tunnel (#82). Averaging 10' wide with 7' ceilings, there are hooks every 30' that could be used to hold a lantern.

The passages to A, D, and E still show signs of regular traverse. The entire length of the main hallway to D has Dwarven footprints and wheeled tracks. Those to A and E show drag marks (maybe a triangular stretcher being pulled?) and a variety of footprint sizes. The passages to B and C have accumulations of undisturbed dust.

A - This short 10' wide spur ends in tar covered double doors that are locked. (See #80 for more).

B - This spur ends in a cave that drops 35'down. There is a stone ladder carved into the side for anyone who would like to climb down, and a currently ropeless pulley in the ceiling. It seems as if no one has been in this part for quite some time, but that the sides were actively mined in the past.

C - This tunnel slopes up 5' along its length before opening into a 15' tall cave that was expanded through mining in the past. Like B, the dust indicates it hasn't been visited recently.

D - This cave was once quite deep, but has been used to dump much of the rubble into and now only goes down 10' below the passage, with the ceiling 15' higher than the passage floor. Some of the rubble piled in it looks fresh.

E - This natural cavern also appears to have regular foot traffic - and it smells of decay and guano. The odor comes from a thick metal grate in the floor that is heavily barred from the top. (See #81 for more).

View attachment 275591

Room 82 - The South Mining Tunnel

This 100' long tunnel with side passages is much shorter (in height and length) and newer than the North Mining Tunnel (#79). Averaging 7' across with 6' ceilings it shows obvious signs of regular passage by the three current miners (Hjuldhor, Gostraen, and Thulgrami - in room #55). As with the north tunnel, every thirty feet there is a the metal hook in the wall where a lantern could be hung. There are also the obvious signs of wheel marks from a cart of some sort.

F - This passage has nothing notable by visual inspection. The hollow sound pounding on the wall will clearly indicate something (G) is on the other side.

G - If the wall in F is broken through it opens into a decent sized cave, going 20' down and up from the tunnel level. The cave has a sizeable amount of rose quartz and over five thousand gold pieces worth of amethyst that could eventually be extracted (assuming it didn't crash the market when it was finally brought to some place that did have a market). The three dwarves are aware a cave is there and are guessing it has gems -- but they are currently chasing metals.

H - If the three Dwarves aren't around, then a metal wheeled metal cart sits leaning wheels up against the back wall. It is used to take rubble to the "pit" in the northern tunnel (part D in #79). Two of the wheels of the cart have a thick metal chain with a lock securing it. Either one could be pounded through with many minutes of effort -- but it would be quite loud. Behind the cart are signs of a high quality silver vein. The trio is convinced that there is mithril nearby as well.

1676516268516.png

The next room created (#20) in in post #588 D&D General - #Dungeon23 .

Last edited:

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
2.15.jpeg

2.15 Miners' Barracks
  • First Glance:
    • Packed with dwarf-sized triple-decker bunk-beds and chests, many destroyed
    • Lots of dwarf skeletons. Signs there was a big battle here
  • Closer Look:
    • A few coins may be found, but this place was looted long ago

Remove ads