D&D 5E Dungeons and Dragons (5th Edition) Class Tier List – 2019

Since the mid-1970s, tabletop fans have been gathering together, dice in hand, to play Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson’s long-famous Dungeons and Dragons masterpiece. The game, of course, has gone through some changes over the years. Since being acquired by Wizards of the Coast, the company best known for Magic: The Gathering, D&D has gone through five different editions.
With every new edition, the mechanics and world building of the D&D universe have received some slight tweaks. Fifth edition Dungeons and Dragons has caused a massive resurgence in the game’s popularity, leaving many avid tabletop fans curious about how to pick up their dice and play the incredibly fun game.
One of the first choices a new D&D player is confronted with is selecting a class. If you are having trouble choosing a class for your game, then look no further. Check out our tier list down below to see how each class ranks and which one is perfect for you.

Check it out here: Dungeons and Dragons (5th Edition) Class Tier List – 2019

4FB1C250-199C-408D-946D-1B6440098BDF.png

ad_hoc

(they/them)
There are no S, C, or D classes in 5e.

As far as what to pick when new to the game. The best advice is to pick the class you think is coolest/inspires you to make a character.

The only other consideration I would give for a new player would be how many resources and abilities the class has to keep track of.

Going by what people think is 'the most powerful' is going to lead a player to create a character which they are more likely to grow bored with. Taking this approach to character creation will teach the new player that creating a character is just about choosing abilities rather than actually creating a character.

I suppose if your table is all about playing a tactical skirmish game then that kind of character creation would make sense, but then I would say you're playing the wrong game. Just play an actual strategy game at that point.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I suppose if your table is all about playing a tactical skirmish game then that kind of character creation would make sense, but then I would say you're playing the wrong game. Just play an actual strategy game at that point.

Far as I can tell, folks who play dnd as a tactical combat game have just as much fun as the rest of us, actually.

Turns out there isn’t a wrong way to play.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I have serious problems with the RAW sorcerer class, but it's still a full caster - that alone makes the 2nd to last tier choice puzzling. With access to metamagic - it's a powerhouse in combat.

Also puzzling - plenty talk of Xanathars Guide subclasses, but no mention of the gloomstalker? This subclass gave the ranger a massive upgrade in both combat power and utility. Most puzzling - suggesting the ranger be played as a Tank? IME trying to tank with a ranger will make a new player crumple up their character sheet and toss it; maybe it's possible, but the class design will fight you hard.

Those are the issues that stood out immediately,

I applaud the attempt at ranking in the article, but I think it will give new players some very incorrect assumptions of the classes!

Aldarc

Legend
The Class Tier lists that developed around 3e and PF1 mostly involved showing the class balance impact of full casting, prepared casting, and versatility to different encounters rather than some sort of MOBA-style tier list.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
So as I can always appreciate a good write-up, IME this "guide" has a lot of things wrong with it. First, Bards would never be top of the list IMO. For instance, Warlock are pretty weak in a lot of ways and playing one often means your character is super-specialized and doesn't shine in many instances.

Remove ads