D&D (2024) Dungeons and Dragons future? Ray Winninger gives a nod to Mike Shea's proposed changes.

darjr

I crit!
I am constantly bewildered that people play this game 'sober' (not in the 'not-drunk sense, but in the 'completely serious, we are dour men enjoying a stiff brandy and a cigar and laughter shall be confined to harrumphs' sense).

If you're going to get together with your friends to play make believe, I say own it.
I have. Though it’s not my preferred style. It can be fun in a way.

I have also played in campaigns that were not “serious” but also decidedly not “goofy”, which I didn’t completely like either.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Re: Steady Aim and sneak attacking. Dragons tend to be very hard to hide from and are, frankly, terrifying to be around. Being able to gain advantage without hiding is very important for rogues fighting dragons if they want to do some damage.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I have. Though it’s not my preferred style. It can be fun in a way.

I have also played in campaigns that were not “serious” but also decidedly not “goofy”, which I didn’t completely like either.
I couldn't stand to play an RPG drunk. But then I'm constitutionally incapable of playing an RPG straight or seriously. I simply cannot play these games with a serious, dramatic, or whatever vibe. It's make believe with homework and math rocks. It's inherently silly. I can't take something this silly at all seriously. But then I also can't take most serious things seriously.

Remove ads