• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Dungeons and Dragons future? Ray Winninger gives a nod to Mike Shea's proposed changes.

November 2020 Tasha's came out.
September 2021 WotC announced 5.5.
August 2022 WotC says it will be adopting Tasha's for the 5.5 PHB.

They knew when Tasha's came out which way things were going to go. Calling those rules optional when they knew they would eventually become the default was pretty darned disingenuous.
Good grief. Can you not tell the difference between "now" and "several years in the future"?

And yes, it was obvious that when Tasha's came out they were piloting proposed rules changes. And no one at WotC said "these rules will be optional FOREVER". Of course, had they not been generally well received, they would have rolled them back.

Of course, all rules are optional, and WotC encourage house rules. If you don't like the rules you have official permission to change them to suit yourself.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
4 years in 2020, particularly at thst point they wouldn't have had data yet on reception of the options.
It's only 2 years. 2020 = Tasha. 2022 = announcement of Tasha no longer being optional for the next edition. It took 2 years. In any case, 4 =/= several, either.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
For the 50e human, I suspect, the race feat will be default Prodigy. Possibly a variant rule allows a DM/player to swap it. Plus, there will be the background feat.
I think defaulting prodigy would kill it. They're already not used much due to people viewing +1s to mostly useless secondaries as better than a feat of their choice and proficiency of their choice. Limiting that feat to one good, but not great feat would cause even fewer to pick it.

As for the background feats, everyone will get them, so they can't be used when assessing racial abilities. I don't think they will kill the race the way you propose. The racial feat will probably remain open to any feat allowable to humans.

Remove ads