Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance reviews are out

True, but there is still Tactical Studios, compare the reviews and popularity of Solasta to DA. If I was WotC I'd fix DA, cancel any DLCs with refunds, buy Tactical Studios, and merge Tuque Studios into it.
Tactical Studios was also founded by industry veterans as a means to make their dream games. The owners might be interested in the right deal with WotC if it would let them make official D&D games, but I doubt they have any interest in merging with the failing Tuque Studios.

Tactical Studios was also founded by industry veterans as a means to make their dream games. The owners might be interested in the right deal with WotC if it would let them make official D&D games, but I doubt they have any interest in merging with the failing Tuque Studios.

They aren't even in the same location. Tactical Studios hires other studios right now for certain elements, I was thinking they could shift that to Tuque Studios instead if WotC owned both. The employees of the studio should not be blamed for this, the expectations were unrealistic for them and instead of polish, they tried to make the game too big (a mistake TA studios avoided).

Looks like WotC put their money on the wrong horse this time and will lose big time.
Yeah like I gotta be honest and page @Umbran here and say "Yup that's another mark on the 'WotC has no idea how to handle digital and their successes are pure luck' side of the score sheet" lol. Damn.

I mean, I did question the purchase, and they still don't seem to have an AAA number of people at Tuque (looked like dozens, not the 100-200 or more you need for AAA, last I saw), but it's a weird damn decision to even release it in this state. You could either keep working on it or quietly can it, and it would probably be less-bad long-term.

Last month?

Try Solasta. It is pretty great.
I mean, it's pretty okay? A solid 7/10.

Great though? No.

Solasta is a low-ish budget AA CRPG with a nice UI, good tutorials/introduction, mediocre-to-terrible writing, questionable but at least not terrible voice-acting, and bad (sorry but it is) visual design/graphics - they went for a semi-realistic style but they clearly didn't have the budget/talent to make that work.

The last time a even "good" D&D CRPG came out was the late '00s, with NWN2, and it wasn't very popular or well-known (perhaps because it was a pretty basic-looking RPG in the era of Mass Effect and Dragon Age). The last time a "great" one came out was over twenty years ago.

Yora

Legend
Is it even D&D? I had to look up the name, and I didn't see any indication that it's D&D.

(Also, NWN2 was awful! :p)

Yora

Legend
Oh yeah, I heard good things about that. But that was months after I had already rage-quit the game and never wanted to touch an Obsidian game again.

Remove ads