Dungeons & Dragons Editions: Where Do You Stand?

Which version of DnD Do You Prefer More Than Any Other?

• D20 Fantasy Variant: Conan, Pathfinder, etc.

Votes: 44 10.9%
  • 2008: 4th Edition

Votes: 173 42.9%
  • 2003: D&D v.3.5E

Votes: 103 25.6%
  • 2000: D&D v.3.0E

Votes: 14 3.5%
  • 1997: Rules Cyclopedia

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • 1989: ADnD 2nd Edition

Votes: 16 4.0%
  • 1983-86: BECMI

Votes: 11 2.7%
  • 1981: Basic & Expert Set

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • 1977-79: ADnD v. 1.0

Votes: 24 6.0%
  • 1977: Basic

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • 1974: ODnD

Votes: 5 1.2%

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
1977 (Holmes Edition) Basic. This is largely because I have a huge amount of time invested in expanding the XP charts, spell lists, and other facets of the system to facilitate adventures for many levels other than the three covered in the official booklet. Aside from that. . .

I like the way Holmes BD&D handles alignment better than subsequent editions of D&D, and I like the way that it handles combat better than OD&D. I like that 'save or die' threats exist side by side with 'save for half damage' threats, and I like the fact that elves advance as Fighters and Magic Users simultaneously to offset some of the insane bennies of such progression.

All in all, I think that Holmes BD&D takes the best of aspects of OD&D and the best apsects of AD&D, merging them into one fine whole. I only wish that the houseruled charts for character progression beyond 3rd Level weren't necessary.

Slander

Explorer
My personal preference is for a d20 variant, which is how I voted. However, since my group is only interested in 3.5 [for now], that is what I actually play.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
D&D v.3.5 is my favorite game.

Yes, I'm a fan of Pathfinder too, but I'm still reserving judgment until I get a chance to actually play a Pathfinder game. I'm more likely to cherry pick certain parts of Pathfinder for my v.3.5 campaigns (i.e. CMB).

I have to admit that I really like Golarion as a campaign world, but I'm more inclined to run it as a v.3.5 world than a Pathfinder world.

I also like True20 and Mutants & Masterminds and I'm considering gettting a copy of Grim Tales. I also like Earthdawn.

Son_of_Thunder

Explorer
I voted 4e because it has fixed a lot of the negatives I had with earlier editions. That said my honorable mention is Moldvay/Cook BX because it was my first. 2nd runner up is 2e because we gamed the heck out of that game for it's entire run until 3e came out.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Sacrilege!

/starts new edition war
/ends new edition war, as it is futile. Morrus is right

None the less, I love 2e still. If only I had kept my 60 pages of houserules...
I cut my teeth on 2e so it will always have a special place in my heart. It was the settings that drove meto collect tons of 2e books. Al-Qadim, Dark Sun, Planescape, Spelljammer, etc.

Plus, the 2e version of the Forgotten Realms is my favorite version of that setting. I've still got the City of Splendors boxed set and recently reacquired the revised FR boxed set. :cool:

I hated THAC0, however. It still makes my head hurt.

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
I started with the Red Box D&D Basic Set, then moved on to Second Edition AD&D primarily because that's what was connected to Dragonlance at the time (1991). When Third Edition came out, I was very happy to move on to it, and then the revised Third Edition rules a few years later.

Now, my D&D of choice is definitely Fourth Edition. I prefer its feel, its tone, and it seems like it's going to be a kickarse ruleset for my favourite D&D settings, Eberron and Planescape.

I also like True 20, Iron Heroes, and Arcana Evolved; if I wanted to play a Third Edition-like system, one of these would absolutely be my choice. Which one, exactly, would depend on the people with whom I was playing and the genre of the game.

Pathfinder doesn't have anything to offer me, and I never played First Edition AD&D nor earlier or later versions of basic D&D.

Remove ads