'Dungeons & Dragons' fights for its future

Brown Jenkin

First Post
MSNBC just posted an article on 4e called 'Dungeons & Dragons' fights for its future.

While it doesn't say 4e is an online game, the article could leave that impression to those not paying close attention. It also briefly covers that the reception has been mixed and that Paizo is not supporting it.

The best part is that the article cribs the April 1st old school artwork. And no this is not an April first gag, but a real story.
 
Last edited:

log in or register to remove this ad

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Too bad that this is coming out today and all the people will hit the April Fool's version of WotC's site. They may want to revert it back to the regular site.

And fighting for the life of the game? I don't think so. Hmm, count on the mainstream media to oversensationalize and try to sell negativity...
 

Lord Xtheth

First Post
I don't think D&D will die to online games.

I mean, I make next to nothing at my job, yet I still play City of Heroes, World of Warcraft, and have a extensive collection of Palladium Books, Wite Wolf book, and of cource D&D books. I'm talking actual books too, not pirated downloads.

D&D will always have a place in the hearts of Nerds everywhere. D&D is synonymous with Nerd. So long as Nerds exist, there will be D&D
 

malcolm_n

Adventurer
Lord Xtheth said:
I don't think D&D will die to online games.

I mean, I make next to nothing at my job, yet I still play City of Heroes, World of Warcraft, and have a extensive collection of Palladium Books, Wite Wolf book, and of cource D&D books. I'm talking actual books too, not pirated downloads.

D&D will always have a place in the hearts of Nerds everywhere. D&D is synonymous with Nerd. So long as Nerds exist, there will be D&D
Yep, here here. My wife has suggested I sell my 3.0 books to pay for 4.0. She even joked and said I could keep my 3.5 books until 4.5 comes out.
 

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Yeah, I'd say that D&D is in no danger of dying. That article makes it sound like D&D is moving entirely to an online platform and making the tabletop form history, which is simply not true. I doubt if 1/3 of what they make on 4e will be from DDI.
 



Surgoshan

First Post
It was kind of disturbingly retarded. It focused exclusively on the online content, about which we know very little, and ignored everything else about the game. Particularly the fact that it still has a large and devoted following.
 



Hairfoot

First Post
Surgoshan said:
It was kind of disturbingly retarded. It focused exclusively on the online content, about which we know very little, and ignored everything else about the game. Particularly the fact that it still has a large and devoted following.
Yes: "geeks [who] roll dice and pretend to be elves, sorcerers and other fantasy heroes", and who "[use] the voices of their characters. Not surprisingly, they're considered uncool by those who lack an appreciation of fantasy."

Good to see the reporter looked beyond stereotypes and has a good grasp of what goes on at a D&D session.
 

mearls

Adventurer
Dragonblade said:
Yes, the article was incredibly biased. It seemed like the author specifically went out of their way to misrepresent 4e and D&D.

The truth is that just as you can spot the bias and misdirection in any story as long as you are informed about and fluent in the subject. Just because you don't see the distortion in a story about politics, the Middle East, or anything else outside your area of expertise doesn't mean that it isn't there.
 

Quantarum

First Post
Nothing new here, D&D has never gotten decent treatment in the media. I still recall the old 700 Club hatchet job stories about the game turning children to Satan and encouraging suicide.

-Q.
 


Wormwood

Adventurer
Dragonblade said:
Yes, the article was incredibly biased. It seemed like the author specifically went out of their way to misrepresent 4e and D&D.
I know. Shameful.

I wonder what their username is.
 

Erik Mona

Adventurer
Seemed like a remarkably "on-target" story for something from such a mainstream source. The author doesn't seem particularly biased to me, other than framing the story in a way to suggest that online games are a far more popular and profitable business than tabletop gaming, which is true.

--Erik
 

Shroomy

Adventurer
From a high-level, outsider perspective, the article is not that bad. I don't we can expect them to talk about the mechanic and fluff changes, most of which will be totally irrelevant to the vast, vast majority of MSNBC.com's readers.
 

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
xechnao said:
IMO this article is a DDI promotion.
Except that they're saying it's sad that WotC is doing this, because D&D is now imitating its imitators.

MSNBC News said:
It must be tough to be 34 and already see your children overshadow you.

That's what's happened to "Dungeons & Dragons," ...
 

Wardook

Explorer
Well Informed?

It seems that the reporter latched onto some of the main issues here in the forums and wrote about them? Alright, who is informing on us or what is his user name?

Peace Space
 

Moon-Lancer

First Post
Quantarum said:
Nothing new here, D&D has never gotten decent treatment in the media. I still recall the old 700 Club hatchet job stories about the game turning children to Satan and encouraging suicide.

-Q.

do you have a entertaining link?
 

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top