D&D Movie/TV Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves At San Diego Comic-Con

Attendees of San Diego Comic-Con this year will be able to immerse themselves in a 'Tavern Experience' promoting the upcoming D&D movie, Honor Among Thieves, IGN reports. It will be a 20-minute experience in which you can interact with D&D critters and characters. Additionally, guests can try both alcoholic and non-alcoholic versions of 'Dragon Brew'.

Additionally, on Thursday July 21st, during the convention, the films cast will be on stage and fans will get a sneak peek at the movie, which is due out next year.

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves includes in its cast Chris Pine, Hugh Grant, Michelle Rodriguez, Regé-Jean Page, and more.

78B046E1-0EDF-4583-9D0F-93122BE2295E.jpeg

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Never mind whether the movie ends up well-made or not: I suspect fan interest is already sufficient to make this thing a financial smash hit.
It has the advantage thar. Oboy is expecting Citizen Kane, or the next grand Lord of the rings style profound epic. They just want a Transnaformers ir Fast & the Furious level goofy action comedy, and I think they can pull it off.

That is the question, isn't it? Would fan interest alone be enough to carry it at the box office? D&D is positively huge now, but I showed my (not-D&D-playing) wife the trailer and she was tepid on it. And she loves all the Marvel movies, GoT, LOTR, etc.

I think it's going to pull in people that don't play D&D, but will it be enough of them?

Never mind whether the movie ends up well-made or not: I suspect fan interest is already sufficient to make this thing a financial smash hit.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
That is the question, isn't it? Would fan interest alone be enough to carry it at the box office? D&D is positively huge now, but I showed my (not-D&D-playing) wife the trailer and she was tepid on it. And she loves all the Marvel movies, GoT, LOTR, etc.

I think it's going to pull in people that don't play D&D, but will it be enough of them?
My non-genre fan wife had the opposite reaction. She wants to see it with me saying "that looks fun, not at all like watching roll dice."

My dad, who never played but owned the original mini books, wants to make a big outing of it.

Anecdotes, sure. But I think the general vibe has been positive and there's massive promotion still to come

Parmandur

Book-Friend
My non-genre fan wife had the opposite reaction. She wants to see it with me saying "that looks fun, not at all like watching roll dice."

My dad, who never played but owned the original mini books, wants to make a big outing of it.

Anecdotes, sure. But I think the general vibe has been positive and there's massive promotion still to come
I think there is a massive audience of people who like casual action comedy and fantasy, but aren’t gamers.

That's my hope, that between D&D players, non-fans, and a massive publicity blitz, the movie does gangbusters.

And that "You better check yourself before you Vecna yourself!" doesn't become the next "It's Morbin' Time!"

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases