• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeons & Dragons III?!?

reanjr

First Post
Dr. Anomalous said:
I've said it before, I'll say it again. I liked the D&D movie, and so did my entire group. It genuinely felt like the real transcription of the events of any number of real campaign arcs.

I noticed that as well. It didn't make me like the movie, though. It just made it worth it to me to go see. Once.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Dr. Anomalous said:
I've said it before, I'll say it again. I liked the D&D movie, and so did my entire group. It genuinely felt like the real transcription of the events of any number of real campaign arcs.
More power to you. Now can I interest you in a piece of real estate in Hawaii? You get a close scenic view of an active volcano, literally in your backyard. And think of the geothermal radiant heating, you could roast a turkey right in your living room. :p

Zappo

Explorer
Dr. Anomalous said:
It genuinely felt like the real transcription of the events of any number of real campaign arcs.
That's what I thought to - any number of real campaign arcs from when I was 13.

Arnwyn

First Post
Dr. Anomalous said:
Not in any of my campaigns.

I still think back to one of my local movie reviewer's comments in the newspaper (slight paraphrase): "Surely what happens at the tables of D&D players must be better than what goes on in this movie."

Yes indeed. Yes indeed.

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Commentary

Well, the only way I see anything coming to the screen in the future, will have to be in anime form...it is the logical course.

The scenes could be much better, some liberties could be taken(hopefully not much) but, any gaming world could be be easily fitted into this format(too many coulds' :) ).

Doing it live action, will not bring it justice, but that is my dollar on that view. And also, since I acquired a copy of Lady Death, anime from Taiwan or Japan will be best choice to do these worlds.

And if, by some flipping miracle(don't hold your breath on that one), if someone(s) ever get the licenses to do this...I would say, start from the beginning of each world...a simply reason, reeducate or educate the next generation that comes after us...maybe with a more expansive view(stuff not mentioned before) for enticement.

But as usual, it comes down to profit, profit...marketable profit and fees, the sad equation in all this.

I have said it before, and I will say it again, the field too wide, too diverse, D&D has become indirectly, a victim of their own success.

Would I love to see something based on it...faithfully, of course.

But look at it from a investor's POV....which will bring me back my investment?

And lastily, it has come to my understanding, that the money made back from the first one(in DVD, VHS), was done overseas, not in the States, so guess where the ad market will be hitting again.

If anyone knows the game player (of D&D) popualtion ratio to the US vs Europe ratio, lay it on me, it would be a interesting analysis to see.

Now, I have answer my own question to why, there hasn't been news leaks on the film, set, cast interviews or pics...because they know, that the US crowd is too tough to please...well the majority that is...so why bother sharing anything about it. Or from the look of it...has the news buffs, hunters, shown any interest in it?

*Compare this to Batman and the like*

And finally, is there a salvation point, yes...go anime, do the genre with love and dedication(yeah...good luck on that), and we will see.

I will be surprised at all...if someone thinks of this...and do something about it, but wait, it is not their fault either....the fans are including as well. I haven't seen yet, anything of fans protesting the treatment/quality of this beloved game*correction: done so for the first in reviews and forums, but not seen for the current, yet, in major ways. e.g. like news ads, etc. etc.*

Fans did for Farscape.
Displeasure was voiced for Green Latern, the first concept.
The same done for Iron Man, a timberlake fall :p
They doing it for B5.

If there has been current protest, point me towards the direction of it, please. But to be fair, none of us knew of what to expect from the first film, but now that fact has now passed...again, we the fans, the current buying power, has not voiced a stronger word of defiance.

Why?

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Dr. Anomalous said:

Me too! But everyone who took the time to read through my D&D II: The Elemental Might thread already knows that. (Hi Truth Seeker.) :lol:

Anyway, I can tell you that the only actor who came back for D&D II was Bruce Payne. His character, Damodar, is the BBEG and is now suppose to be undead (from what I've heard). I don't know if he's going to be in D&D III.

Regardless, the people with the rights are seeing these movies as a low-budget franchise that might get more money if D&D II does well overseas. [The first D&D movie was a bust in North America but it went over big in Europe (can you say France) and sold enough videos and DVDs to end up in the black.] I don't know what kind of budget D&D III will have but I'll do some reseach and see what I can dig up. (See below.)

Cheers!

KF72

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Found this little tidbit over on FilmForce. It's from early November but sheds some light on D&D II regarding being in theaters. (See highlighted end section.) - KF72

A Third Dungeons & Dragons?
Fantasy flop gets a second sequel.

November 03, 2004 - Who knew, after the lackluster performance of the original Dungeons & Dragons movie, that it'd spawn two sequels? The second film in the franchise, Dungeons & Dragons 2: The Elemental Might, has recently wrapped production. Now, according to today's Variety, a third film is in the works at Zinc Entertainment, a division of Joel Silver's Silver Pictures. There are no further details available at this time, but just the news that there will be another sequel is shocking enough.

As for the second film... Most of the thesps from the first film chose not to return, but stars Bruce Payne and Mark Dymond* are reprising their roles. Clemency Burton-Hill and Steven Elder are also attached to star for director Gerry Lively.

Despite rumors that it would go the direct-to-video route, the trade confirms that Dungeons & Dragons 2: The Elemental Might will be released theatrically next year before heading to the home video market.

-- Brian Linder

* Mark Dymond was not in the first one. I wish people would do their research before speaking/writing. Oh well, just a pet peeve of mine.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Knightfall1972 said:
Regardless, the people with the rights are seeing these movies as a low-budget franchise that might get more money if D&D II does well overseas. [The first D&D movie was a bust in North America but it went over big in Europe (can you say France) and sold enough videos and DVDs to end up in the black.] I don't know what kind of budget D&D III will have but I'll do some reseach and see what I can dig up. (See below.)
And yet I'm not surprised by your statement. I mean, look at Germany. They considered David Hasselhoff a pop music icon. I mean, WTF?

And Merry Ole England, you can have Madonna. France can have Molly Ringwald.

But I admit, America have its own faults. We have J-Lo. Blame it on the mainstream.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Ranger REG said:
And yet I'm not surprised by your statement. I mean, look at Germany. They considered David Hasselhoff a pop music icon. I mean, WTF?

But I admit, America have its own faults. We have J-Lo. Blame it on the mainstream.

So true.

BTW, the old D&D II thread has been resurrected (I just can't help myself) and the last post includes a small image of what looks to be the first movie poster for the film. - KF72

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Ranger REG said:

RR, we all know, that everyone has their own taste to liking who, wherever they are...shucks, there are some overseas stars I like, that don't get enough recognition here in the States...so, it is a give and take.

No Jlo...Paris Hilton *ducking*

Remove ads