D&D General Dungeons & Dragons survival sim video game coming

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Modern with some Renaissance stylings. Or, more accurately, a fantasy world with no connection to real world history.

D&D has never had an official setting that was medieval.

Modern? What defines modern? I have yet to see Faerun heroes cruising to the dungeon in a pick up truck.

Greyhawk maybe? Krynn despite the wacky gnomish Steam stuff. Dark Sun is very regressed. You won’t find any flintlocks there I think.

Modern? What defines modern? I have yet to see Faerun heroes cruising to the dungeon in a pick up truck.
Newspapers, railroad tracks, submarines?

Not to mention the not remotely medieval society and culture.
Greyhawk maybe?
Greyhawk is everything I know about history I learned from Hollywood movies medieval.

There have been some third party settings with some degree of historicity, but nothing from WotC, and they have long since given up pretending.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I don't know that D&D fans ever expected anything historically accurate. Certainly modern 5E fans, who have grown up with anime and manga, don't seem to have the slightest interest in it.

Green Ronin and some others have put out books for making 3E in particular more medieval and they don't exactly seem to have set the world on fire, despite being generally well reviewed.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Newspapers, railroad tracks, submarines?

Not to mention the not remotely medieval society and culture.

Greyhawk is everything I know about history I learned from Hollywood movies medieval.

There have been some third party settings with some degree of historicity, but nothing from WotC, and they have long since given up pretending.
Railroad tracks that lack a train. It's just for mine carts etc. Or did I miss the train?

And people have been diving in "iron bubbles" for a long time before we had actual subs. Is it a sub if it's just a glorified water elevator? Goes up and down only?

I think "modern" is giving them to much credit.

Railroad tracks that lack a train. It's just for mine carts etc. Or did I miss the train?

And people have been diving in "iron bubbles" for a long time before we had actual subs. Is it a sub if it's just a glorified water elevator? Goes up and down only?

I think "modern" is giving them to much credit.
They are all in Baldur’s Gate 3, which given its cultural impact, is now the definitive version of the Forgotten Realms. They don’t have mobile phones, but then we don’t have robocops.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
They are all in Baldur’s Gate 3, which given its cultural impact, is now the definitive version of the Forgotten Realms. They don’t have mobile phones, but then we don’t have robocops.

So to be modern we can swap magic for science? I mean they could fly long before they invented their sub. They had golems long before the "robocops". By that measure Faerun has been "modern" since they discovered magic.

Remove ads