• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E DungeonScape Beta Gloat Thread

SigmaOne

First Post
Played with it for ten minutes and found three bugs/errors:
3. Maybe not a bug, but doesn't really work on my mobile device.

Submitted the feedback of course.

Yeah, they've been very vocal about the fact that the web version is in no way guaranteed to be functional on mobile devices. I do hope it will get that way, since I'd like my friend who uses a Microsoft Surface to be able to use it when playing.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
Yeah, they've been very vocal about the fact that the web version is in no way guaranteed to be functional on mobile devices. I do hope it will get that way, since I'd like my friend who uses a Microsoft Surface to be able to use it when playing.

That's thoroughly bizarre, because if it isn't designed for touchscreen, it's /definitely/ not designed for mouse and keyboard.

I haven't found any bugs that weren't already captured on the support site. Distributed votes accordingly.

Klataubarada

First Post
I'm unclear from just the app how the final skill score is calculated.

I had an 18 dex with +2 from my racial (wood elf), however my dex is 22. Did I misinterpret something?

The interface looks amazing with very intuitive functionality though I think they could break out the stats a little better. Looking forward to the full release.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I don't agree the interface is intuitive. There are not enough visual queues for some things. The dots on the awful character sheet are tiny. Which page has what info? The interface needs serious work for a keyboard and mouse.

Thank Dog

Banned
Banned
I don't agree the interface is intuitive. There are not enough visual queues for some things. The dots on the awful character sheet are tiny. Which page has what info? The interface needs serious work for a keyboard and mouse.

Yeah, it's quite clearly designed based on the tablet versions which is a huge error IMO.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
Yeah, it's quite clearly designed based on the tablet versions which is a huge error IMO.

I saw on the support site that apparently the web navigation interface is considered to be final? Disappointing -- I really want to use this app, but for me, at least, apps are not about being /better/ than paper, they're about being /easier/ than paper. If this thing's a hassle it doesn't matter how much utility it has -- I'll go back to my pencil and looseleaf.

That's not a threat; it's a regret.

MacMathan

Explorer
So far really unimpressed, to call the web version a beta is a stretch and I have a lot of software publishing experience. At best the web version has the functionality of an alpha and the interface is pretty dreadful. I hate to say it but as of right now WotC's 5e tool set release is feeling very 3e for those that remember that debacle. I will be impressed if they can catch up to what 4e gave us which for better or worse was the best WotC has ever done.

Also did I read correctly that to use the android beta you must sign up for G+? Why?

Last edited:

transtemporal

Explorer
I don't think its too bad overall. I don't mind the colours, layout, readability, usability or process of character creation. To me it seems fairly intuitive. I do think they need to add some high-contrast colour and bigger type options (for people who can't read 8pt brown type on grey background).

• There are lots of rules that aren't implemented (I found over two dozen examples in a hour of casual use) but thats not a huge deal to my mind, they can work on that.
  • More concerning are areas that let you do things it shouldn't let you do or you shouldn't be able to do, like select skills or languages that have already been selected/granted or manually increase your scores to 30 at (1st level) character creation.
  • Areas that cause unintentional issues in other areas or just plain wrong, e.g. choosing a +2 ability increase (con) for my 4th level fighter also increased his level by 2, weeee!
  • Or areas of functionality that just work weirdly, like the Character List with empty slots showing up as "No Name 0-level incomplete" or headers (like "Weapons" in the equipment section) giving rollover feedback on-screen but aren't clickable and don't do anything or choice selection where you can select say, 3 choices out of a list but you have to click one radiobox and click next, then repeat that 3 times to make all of your choices, and be able to select one you previously selected (Battlemaster Maneuvers for example).

Blackbrrd

First Post
Yeah, the lack of visual clues is really disapointing, the user interface just feels un-intuitive.

What's worse in my opinion is the lack of editing options. I haven't found a way of changing the skill selection for instance. There is no way to use a custom background. There is a "idea" on their feedback forum that has quite a lot of votes, so if you haven't already upvoted it, please do.

Also, the screen estate use is really bad. Lots of decorations and stuff, but if you want to see all the skills of your character, you have to scroll to see them.

I couldn't find any way to print a character sheet, a must for tables that don't allow devices at the table, or for those that don't have a tablet/laptop (like myself until recently, or I have a laptop, but it's too big to bring to the table).

... yeah, I added "ideas" or upvoted "ideas" for all the above issues. I want the app to be good, but currently, I am not quite sure if it's better to use it or to just use pen-and-paper (or more likely, just an excel sheet so I can autocalculate some numbers).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads