D&D 5E duplicate proficiency

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
"If a character would gain the same proficiency from two different sources, he or she can choose a different proficiency of the same kind (skill or tool) instead" (PHB 125).

This rule appears specifically in the context of backgrounds, but I am wondering about its general applicability. (I understand this is easily house ruled in any case; but I'm trying to get a sense of the original intention.) I see two ways it can be read:

1. Narrow reading: it applies only to backgrounds. Because character generation has players select backgrounds after class, this is a sensible rule that is in fact only a specific application of the "customizing a background" rule on the same page.

2. Broad reading: it applies in other contexts where you gain a skill or tool proficiency. There's not many of these. The main case would be when you gain proficiencies from class levels: e.g. at Rogue 3 (Assassin); If you multiclass into rogue, you would get Thieves' tools (which you might already have from your previously-chosen background); if you reincarnate into a half-orc (and already have intimidation) or and elf (and already have perception), you would get a skill you already have. Are there any other circumstances that this might arise? (Note it doesn't arise if you multiclass into bard, since even if you are already proficient in a musical instrument, there are always more available; the same is true of artisan's tools for the Fighter's Student of War ability.)

My sense is that the narrow reading is correct: that outside of multiclassing the situation doesn't arise often enough that the game worries about it, and in all of the examples I gave under the "broad" reading, the player can lump it.

* Am I missing obvious cases where this situation might arise?
* Are there reasons to think the broad ruling is likely to be the intended result?

The only other situation I can see right now is the "Blessings of Knowledge" (level 1 ability for Knowledge clerics), which is actually quite powerful. you gain double proficiency in two knowledge skills (cool), and as a level 1 ability it makes sense to fudge the order of selection of class skills and knowledge skills so that the player gets double proficiency in the skills she wants. That's harder to fudge if the character has multi classed into Cleric -- they might have proficiency in Religion from another class, but (RAW) not be able to leverage that with the bonus skills of Blessings of Knowledge. (This is trivially solved, of course: you gain proficiency in any two of the listed skills, and you may choose any two of the skills in which you are proficient to gain double proficiency).

Thanks for your thoughts!

EDIT: also relevant possibly is the wording for the Light Cleric's bonus cantrip: "When you choose this domain at first level, you gain the light cantrip if you don't already know it" (PHB 61, italics added). Again, the only time I think this would come up is if you are m-cing int Cleric, since a first-level cantrip choice happens more or less at the same time as the domain choice.

Last edited:

Artificer

First Post
I will not be allowing the use of this. It is obviously intended to give all characters an equal benefit from a background, but it will not be used that way. This will only see use when a player wants to take a skill that is not in their class list. By selecting a skill that is doubled by their intended background, a player can then opt for proficiency in any skill.

Using it for tools instead of skills might be more valid, but in general I don't think a character should be rewarded with additional versatility for over-specializing.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
I favor the broad reading. I think the narrow reading penalizes players for picking coherent concepts, like a MC wizard/cleric(knowledge), and the broad reading is a pleasant alternative that is in no way unbalanced.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
I don't see why it should only apply to backgrounds, since you only get one background, and it doesn't overlap with your class skills (notice how it's always "choose a few from this big list"). I think the rule means exactly what it says: if you somehow get some proficiency that you already have, you can choose a different one.

The only limitation that I infer is, if you have a choice, you can't just choose ones you already have, in order to invoke this rule and choose anything. If you can make a legal choice, you have to. Like, if you have the Fighter class and take Athletics and Intimidation, and you have the Soldier background (Athletics, Intimidation), you have to go back and pick different ones from the Fighter list.

Crothian

First Post
I will not be allowing the use of this. It is obviously intended to give all characters an equal benefit from a background, but it will not be used that way. This will only see use when a player wants to take a skill that is not in their class list. By selecting a skill that is doubled by their intended background, a player can then opt for proficiency in any skill.

I think you need to play with people you trust instead of assuming the worst of their decisions.

I think if for any reason a character would get a skill they already have they are free to choose another one. Skills are not that powerful and while perception seems to be the one king of the skills its usefulness is strictly in the hands of the DM.

the Jester

Legend
I'm pretty sure that Mearls has stated that the broad ruling is the intent. Do what you will with that, but it's good enough for me.

Shiroiken

Legend
The Broad ruling is correct, but this really shouldn't come up often. I think it's mostly for multi-classing (as has been mentioned). The Background are meant to be customizable, so you really shouldn't have overlap in character creation. Of course, as a DM I require justification for every non-standard skill/tool/language within the context of the character's history (not "Thieves' Tools are kewl").

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Thanks so much for the feedback -- I didn't know Mearls had tweeted about this. It's actually pretty iterating how rarely the circumstances come up; my sense is there were many more instances i the play test. As it is now, I can see players feeling slightly cheated if their disguise-master gets given a duplicate proficiency at level 3 when they become an assassin. I'm not sure that's a completely justified feeling, but I can see it.

Does it make more sense for the newly-decided poisoner to learn Artisans' tools instead? No, but that's "balanced". I think it really can work perfectly fine either way.

gyor

Legend
The only times I see it really be needed, are with an elf who takes the sailor background or other backvround that grants perception, Half Orcs with a background that grants intimidate, and a charatan assassin, or an entertainer background. Honestly ai have no problem with the rule.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
The broad version is definitely better. Skills are supposed to be equal. As a DM, I will essentially allow anyone to trade one skill for another if it better matches their character concept, regardless of duplicates. The only place I might limit that is if everyone starts wanting the Perception skill.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases