"Dust" and "Midway" - Codenames for Upcoming D&D Hardcovers

Tales from the Yawning Portal was codenamed Labyrinth. Curse of Strahd was Cloak, and Storm King's Thunder was Dagger (or vice versa). Now two new codenames have emerged, spotted by EN World member kettite. Dust is dated 19 Sep 2017, hardcover, $49.95, and Midway is dated 21 Nov 2017, hardcover, $49.95. These have both appeared over on edelweiss' catalog. They do not match the four unnamed RPG Accessories on Amazon. Engage speculation mode - two new hardcovers later this year!

Tales from the Yawning Portal was codenamed Labyrinth. Curse of Strahd was Cloak, and Storm King's Thunder was Dagger (or vice versa). Now two new codenames have emerged, spotted by EN World member kettite. Dust is dated 19 Sep 2017, hardcover, $49.95, and Midway is dated 21 Nov 2017, hardcover, $49.95. These have both appeared over on edelweiss' catalog. They do not match the four unnamed RPG Accessories on Amazon. Engage speculation mode - two new hardcovers later this year!

Typically the September release has been an adventure, and the November release a rules book (Sword Coast Adventurers Guide; Volo's Guide to Monsters). WotC has been hinting at a "major rules expansion" for a while now.

My guess? Take it with a massive truckload of salt, but I'm going to guess that Dust is fey or fey wild related. Possible the thing Adventure Time's Pendleton Ward helped with. But it really is a wild guess.

"Dust"
Wizards RPG Team
FRONTLIST
On Sale Date: 19 September 2017
9780786966103, 0786966106
Hardcover
$49.95 USD, $63.95 CAD

"Midway"
Wizards RPG Team
FRONTLIST
On Sale Date: 21 November 2017
9780786966110, 0786966114
Hardcover
$49.95 USD, $63.95 CAD

Ampersand Transparent.png

SaveSave
SaveSaveSaveSave

Mortellan

Explorer
Agreed with everyone that Dust does seem obviously Darksun. Too easy to be true.

Midway though. I think a good interpretation of that could be Sigil which is at the midway point of all things in the Planescape setting.

Tony Vargas

Legend
My guess would also have to be the probably-too-obvious Dark Sun AP ('Dust' Athas is an arid world and has a feature called the Sea of Dust, doesn't it?; 'Midway' could be a WWII reference, so a very significant-to-the-world AP, maybe the overthrow of a Sorcerer King?)

Osgood

Adventurer
Dark Sun seems likely for Dust, but (and this is probably wishful thinking) it could relate to Eberron's Lords of Dust. Hopefully Midway doesn't mean they feel they are half way to 6E... perhaps something circus-themed?

Reynard

Legend
So far the September book has been an adventure and the November book has been a supplement. I am going to go out on a limb and say Dust is going to be an AP that has a travel/road/caravan element, possibly through the desert (does The Forgotten Realms have a Silk Road equivalent?) And maybe that means Midway is another part of the Realms outside the Sword Coast.

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
Keeping in mind that code-names are usually meaningless...

"Dust" could refer to the Lords of Dust of Eberron or the Dustmen of Planescape, but that seems unlikely. Unless the Ring of Winter appears in Yawning Portal, then we know that this will be a Forgotten Realms adventure (as promised in Storm King's Thunder).

"Midway" sounds like a code-name for the mechanical expansion, which usually comes in the middle of the edition cycle.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
My guess would also have to be the probably-too-obvious Dark Sun AP ('Dust' Athas is an arid world and has a feature called the Sea of Dust, doesn't it?; 'Midway' could be a WWII reference, so a very significant-to-the-world AP, maybe the overthrow of a Sorcerer King?)

I think there's absolutely no chance that they would announce 2 adventures one right after another... is there?!

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads