• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dwarf Racial Skill Bonus [E - Tools]

EricNoah

Adventurer
My dwarf is getting +2 to both craft and profession (the craft ones are cancelled out by the -2 he gets from not having appropriate tools purchased and carried). You're right, it should just be craft. And probably they shouldn't be getting that bonus to Appraise all the time (should be conditional).

dagger

Adventurer
I messed around with the skills some and noticed it does not give a racial +2 to Craft: Armorsmithing for some reason but does give it too Profession:Armorsmith . Do you know why it does that?

Or am I going crazy?

Last edited:

Olorin

Into the West
It looks like it's not giving the +2 to stone/metal related Craft skills but it is. If you don't have the proper tools equipped E-Tools applies a -2 penalty to Craft skills. So the -2 and +2 are cancelling each other out.

On your character sheet, if you weren't a dwarf you'd have a -3 :)
Try purchasing and equipping the appropriate artisan's tools and you should see the craft skill change to a +1.

Olorin

dagger

Adventurer
It does not give it to Craft: Armorsmithing specifically though, thats what im wondering about. Tools or not it does not say Racial +2 (for craft: armorsmithing) in the skills section. I thinks that is kinda wierd.

Yet it gives it to Profession: Armorsmith and for example.

Craft: Weaponsmithing and Profession: Weaponsmith

Last edited:

EricNoah

Adventurer
It's a bug I tells ya!

Hey, btw there's a way you can fix all of these problems yourself...

File -- Load File -- navigate out of the current folder, to Core/Races

Open the Dwarf, Hill.rac file

Go to the Skills frame.

Edit the racial bonuses (remove the bonuses from the Profession skills, add that missing Craft bonus, remove the Appraise bonus)

Save your work (be sure you're saving in Core/Races and not User/Races).

Voila, it's fixed. You *may* have to then make your character again with the modified race.

Last edited:

Olorin

Into the West
Awesome, thanks Eric!

BTW, I just wanted to say thanks for all your support of E-tools and 3E in general. Your original site was the main reason I got excited about 3E (after not playing D&D at all for 5 years) and back into roleplaying again. And now I've been running a 3E game coming up on two years and just started as a player in another. So life is good :)

Olorin

Olorin

Into the West
Curious thing though... I removed the Profession skills from the Hill Dwarf.rac file and added Craft (Armorsmithing) with a racial bonus of 2.

Made a new character... on the stat block, the Profession skills are gone now, but Armorsmithing doesn't appear. The other Craft skills still do.

Craft (Armorsmithing) has the correct +2 racial mod in the Skills list.

If I export a character sheet, it shows Craft ( ) where Armorsmithing should be...

Olorin

EricNoah

Adventurer
Hmm, let me try it (I made the same adjustments...)

Same here. Also happening with a Craft skill I didn't change, Craft (Blacksmithing) (though I'm not getting the blank spot on the char sheet for that one). On the stat block, for instance, neither Armorsmithing nor Blacksmithing appear on the list at all. Same thing even if I buy ranks, or equip/buy tools.

Yet with a human druid spending one rank on Armorsmithing it does appear.

I bet the problem is somehow related to the style sheets generating the stat blocks and char sheets. Let me investigate and see what I can find.

Remove ads