D&D 5E Dwarf subraces: Hill or Mountain, best fighter?

Gorgoroth

Banned
Banned
Hi all, I was looking over making my Gilius Thunderhead dwarf guy in D&D Next, and trying to figure out which subrace would make a tougher fighter:

So, it becomes a tradeoff between:

Hill / Mountain
+1 Con / +1 Wis
+ 1d10->1d12 hit dice vs +1 AC

I'm inclined to think the +1 AC in medium and heavy armor would be a great benefit, since it's always on and prevents damage rather than absorbs it, but it depends.

I wonder if Barbarians would benefit more from being a hill dwarf, since presumably they'll have d12 hit dice and would get a bump to 2d6, which means your HP increase is a LOT more stable, numerically-speaking.

I like the bump of 1d12 to 2d6 on the greataxe for just being a dwarf, but I'm also wondering if I make him as a ranger that dual-wields (if they ever make that mathematically viable), if it'll be worthwhile to dual wield handaxes at d8 dmg. I suspect 2d6 in a single swipe with a greataxe will probably do more max damage, but I'm a big fan of knowing the nuts+bolts of the maths behind such decisions to know what the tradeoffs are.

Since we don't know about dual-wielding or barbarians yet, I'm left trying to pimp out this great-axe wielding fighter, and trying to decide what best subrace to take.

Thoughts?

eprieur

Explorer
I ran the numbers in the old playtest but it's close to being worth about the same in term of damage per round or so, with slight advantage to having more AC in the ac versus more hp debate. Having toughness and other hp skills make the AC worth more.

If you are a rollers though and you take durable, having the D12 make durable better and overall might pull ahead of the +1 AC. It's tougher for melee clerics, but right now I'm playing one and went for the HP (16 str/16 con/14 wis).

The main thing I think is that +1 wis is wasted on the fighter while +1 con give you the 16 str / 16 con / 14 dex fighter which is pretty good (not human good but still pretty good).

Thread on durable is here:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?p=6048308

Gorgoroth

Banned
Banned

I'm wondering what DDN will do with the other Dwarf Subraces.

I guess Duergar or Deep Dwarves will be the only ones with Darkvision? It fits with this classic pic that Hill or Mountain Dwarves still need a torch when underground :

trampier3.png

Considering taking an owl familiar to be able to do extra fun stuff with it, make him a bit more well-rounded and versatile. Although, to model the lightning "daily" one would probably need something like a signature spell or an at-will.

They removed wizard at-wills from the latest 2 play packets via Magic User or whatever it was called background, right? That woulda been neat.

Remove ads