• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dwarven Fighter Discussion

Ginnel

Explorer
That means you get an extra attack each encounter over a dragonborn or human who uses Second Wind. Very, very good.

Not quite, Dragonborn get to go *sucks in a breath*

*makes a dragon breathing a breathweapon sound*

like that which is a minor action being able to do that and a second wind is cool too, which will end up with the same amount of attacks but with one more attack option for the dragonborn :) but nah both are great great abilities in my opinion and the dwarfs resistance to pushing edges out the dragonborns abilities but the dragonborn's strength evens this out in my humbley humble opinion.

Last edited:

the8bitdeity

First Post
As to Warforged, are they just in the MM?

I don't think we'll be going outside the PLayers Handbook for some time yet.

Dragon Issue #364 has the Warforged treated as a true race including Paragon Paths. I'm currently playing a Hammer + Shield Wielding Warforged Fighter. I like Warforged Tactics feat which grants +1 if any ally is adjacent to the target. Once per encounter they can use "Warforged Resolve" as a minor action which grants temporary HP (+ real HP if you're bloodied). I took Weapon Focus Hammers as well. So far he's really good at tanking. I'm the only defender so far, so I went more tank and less damage. I use Tide of Iron quite frequently to set up good position. Then working with the Warlord (using Viper Strike) I try to pin down a front line.

Dooks Dizzo

First Post
Holy crapola Batman.

On first glance the Warforged seem awefully tough. Darn near purpose built to be fighters. Might have to talk to my DM :)

Any point buy stat set recommendations?

ac_noj

First Post
I guess I am looking to maximize damage while maintaining the true defender role. Lots of hit points, good ac and a threat to anyone looking to beat on the squishy wizards and such.

Swordmaster AoE tank build then. It makes you a great tank and keeps your damage high by hitting lots of targets at once. The only place it suffers that your damage against solos wont be great.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=73809
(progression at the end)

There are some things to be aware of with this build:
You can increase your damage by taking the feats for Weapon Focus and/or Bastard Sword, and increase it further by being a Dragonborn.
The build doesn't put a high priority on OA's so if your DM provokes lots of OA's make sure you take the related feats sooner.

Ginnel

Explorer
Holy crapola Batman.

On first glance the Warforged seem awefully tough. Darn near purpose built to be fighters. Might have to talk to my DM :)

Maybe too tough, my first impressions of them was power creep.

I haven't seen them in play yet so I'll withhold actual judgement on them for the moment, but they seem to play to the strengths of the fighter too much, although looking at it brutal rogue option is quite cool as well, especially taking the feat which gives you plus 1 to hit whenever an ally is adjacent to the enemy +3 to hit when flanking yah why not.

my Dragborn fighter has 18 str and in my probably biased opinion seems to outshine the tiefling paladin with cha 20 in terms of damage and defendering (though we haven't had any solo fights yet)

garyh

First Post
Holy crapola Batman.

"Purpose built to be fighters" pretty much IS the idea behind warforged. ;)

I'd suggest:
Str 18 (16+2)
Con 16 (14+2)
Dex 12
Int 8
Wis 14
Cha 10

Hard-hittin', durable, and solid bonus to OA's. This works best for hammers and axes. Swords would need higher Dex.

Stalker0

Legend
Your build has a 12 int, and unfortuantely there is NO good reason to give fighter's a high int score anymore.

Unless!! You want to go for the super awesome feat Jack of all Trades. That feats is so good for any kind of skill user, it might just be worth the 13 int requirement. So if you want your fighter to be smart, give him a 13 int and that feat and he'll have lots of skills. Else, dump int like it owes you money.

Kaelkatar

First Post
With all the dragonborn, warforged, human, warpriest, etc. options being tossed about, make sure to create the character you want to play firstly, and then make him work mechanically secondly. 95% of what you can dream up can be made to work somehow.

If you want to play a dwarf, don't let the fact that humans, warforged, and dragonborn are going to have a 5% greater hitchance at all levels of play get you down. You may get a hard encounter here and there with high AC, but the enjoyment you get from playing the chartacter that you want to play is most likely worth it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads