• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

E2: The Secret of Gemhold [Patlin Judging]

Manzanita

First Post
Percy is very excited to finally be here, and wants to look herself. But she knows her place in the party. "Be careful, Nars." she whispers to the dwarf.

Erekose13

Explorer
[Gemhold]
[imager]http://www.enworld.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=30928&stc=1[/imager]
Moving incredibly stealthily forward Nars appears to dissappear into the forest undergrowth. The thorn moves in as well dissappearing with equal ease. Together the two of them creep forward to the edge of the forest.

Beyond the trees Nars can see a ruined keep butted up against a hill that looks like it has been carved in half. A sheer cliff wall rises above the fort, though not exceedingly high. The walls of the fort itself are in very poor condition, one of the turrets has collapsed as has part of the wall. While the courtyard beyond is almost impossible to make out from the vantage point Nars has. To his right the Thorn points up into the trees off to the left of the fort indicating they may be able to see better from there.

Given that it is still mid-afternoon, little movement is visible from the edge of the forest. Every now and again a goblin on duty gets shoved out of one of the gate towers wanders down the wall with his eyes shielded from the sun then scampers back inside when his route is finished.

Moving through the forest stealthily Nars and the thorn make it to the sparser trees nearby. Climbing one of the ones on the hilly slope Nars gets a good look at the inside of the keep. The buildings inside have been desimated for the most part. The keep itself if a ruined shell. He can see a number of goblins sleeping in the shade of the keep trying to stay out of the sunlight but generally failing. In amongst the goblins lie ugly little hairless dogs.

There do appear to be two buildings that are still standing. One in the far corner (labeled chapel) looks like a functioning refinery/forge. Black smoke billows out of the stacks coming out of the roof. The other building (labeled mausoleum) looks like the entrance to the mines. A few mine carts are pulled up nearby and goblins mill about aimlessly trying to avoid work. A hobgoblin moves over to them and sends them back into the mine before they have too much time on their hands.

What might have once been a wooden building for the stables is now occupied by three gigantic forms of the giants that had been spoken of earlier. They appear to be huddled around a makeshift table eating uncooked deer and laughing amongst themselves. The goblins and hobgoblins appear to be giving the giants a wide berth.

EDIT: pic updated

Last edited:

SlagMortar

First Post
Nars' face turns red with anger beneath his beard as he sees the desecration of Gorefoot's ancestral clan home. He calms himself with deep slow breaths, knowing he must remain still and keen to avenge his friend.

Sitting still, his chest barely rising with slow breaths, he takes note of as many details as possible and commits them to memory, just as he has been trained to do. He gages ranges and distances as best he can. How far from this current position to the inside of the keep? Ugh, those giants are disgusting. Don't even cook their meat like people. Monsters. Hmm. The giants don't seem to be on the friendliest terms with the others. If we had a goblin made bolt, we might be able to shoot one of the giants and touch off a riot. Or maybe they'd be too dumb to notice it was not shot by a goblin.

As long as his position appears pretty safe and undetectable, he will wait for a full 30 minutes. Unless the hobgoblins are the brains behind the operation there is probably more going on inside the mine. Maybe whoever it is will come out. Nars observes how regularly the watches are chosen, any changes in the activities, how quickly the forge is consuming materials and producing finished products Is this a goblinoid warmachine, or just a thrown together group of monsters trying to make it?, how soon the giants will run out of deer and have to go hunting for more or whether the goblins are providing it. He takes note of the giants' features and overall size, knowing there are different kinds, but never having actually seen any before. Perhaps Nezrak, Gorefoot, or Ridik will know more about them.

If he can tell from his current position, is there a way up the cliff from the back side (away from the keep) so one could ascend lob things down into the courtyard?

Erekose13

Explorer
ooc: does the picture show for you? it did for me when I posted it, but now I can't see it.

EDIT: fixed pic above.

Last edited:

SlagMortar

First Post
OOC: Oh, I missed that there was a picture since it wasn't showing. It is now. That answers my question of whether the party can get to the top of the cliff. Looks like no.

Manzanita

First Post
OOC: Beautiful map, there, E13.

IC: Goblins, hobgoblins, hairless dogs, and gross giants. That's what we're fighting. Yuck." Percy sticks out her tongue.

"Well, Nars. It sounds like we could make a go for this. Do you think we could handle those things? I think we could. We could wait until they go hunting and start to pick them off. Or we could make an attack. We do have some option."

Percy touches the pink ribon in her hair. He form blurs, then reforms as a hobgoblin. A female one wearing pretty pink accessories, anyway.

"I have my hat of disguise." says the hobgoblin, " as well as my invisibility spells. Nars can sneak. Ridik might be able to disguise himself from the equipment of those goblins we killed earlier. If we can get in there, we could open up. I could fireball all those giants if they're sitting together."

SlagMortar

First Post
Ever the cautious dwarf Nars says, "We, er, don't know what else is, ah, inside the mine. The Speaker, er, spoke of two, ah, cloaked figures, maybe the, er, hobgoblins, but, ah, maybe not. The, er, giants and goblins did not, ah, seem best friends. I, er, bet the giants, ah, venture out alone, if they ever leave. Maybe, er, while we, er, for the, ah, nomads, we could set a, ah, trap for them.

OOC:
I scanned back through the Speaker's talk. The party had made off to meet back up with some nomad warriors a two miles west of the hold.

Remove ads