D&D 5E E6 in 5e

ad_hoc

(they/them)
The 5e equivalent would be e10. Even then the goals would be slightly different.

In 3e 6th level was the perfect point for relative parity between spellcasters and martial characters. 3rd level spells plus a level that doesn't up the spell level (except for sorcerers who were underpowered compared to Wizards) and extra attacks for martials.

In 5e the goal would be just to stay within tier (which the previous e6 did as well).

Both 6th and 10th level are the same tier in 5e.

Nebulous

Legend
Most younger gamers come from the mindset of "the end-game" due to how MMO's work. E6 let's character's continue to grow while not getting ridiculously overpowered, letting people enjoy the end-game for prolonged periods. It also allows new characters to join established character's without there being too much of a power gap.

As someone is a long time D&D DM, I really like the sound of this. I might go as high as 8th level, but after that the game just isn't as fun for me anymore.

Wulffolk

Explorer
E6 would be starting too late and kicking in too early. I can't think of a pithy designation for it, but starting at 3rd or 5th and doing an E6-style freeze at level 8 or 10 or 11 or something might work?

Making 3rd level the new 1st level could work. I suppose we could call it E6+2. That would give a 6 level range from 3rd to 8th.

EditorBFG

Explorer
The 5e equivalent would be e10. Even then the goals would be slightly different.

In 3e 6th level was the perfect point for relative parity between spellcasters and martial characters. 3rd level spells plus a level that doesn't up the spell level (except for sorcerers who were underpowered compared to Wizards) and extra attacks for martials.

In 5e the goal would be just to stay within tier (which the previous e6 did as well).

Both 6th and 10th level are the same tier in 5e.

ad hoc has this exactly right. 5E is written so that levels 1-2 are "apprentice" levels, where you are learning to be an adventurer. Then there are big power bumps at 5th level, 11th level, and 17th level. So really, you may as well cap out at 10th level, because the real jump after 3rd level spells is 6th level spells. Also, level 10 is a good cap off for a lot of character types.

Horwath

Legend
ad hoc has this exactly right. 5E is written so that levels 1-2 are "apprentice" levels, where you are learning to be an adventurer. Then there are big power bumps at 5th level, 11th level, and 17th level. So really, you may as well cap out at 10th level, because the real jump after 3rd level spells is 6th level spells. Also, level 10 is a good cap off for a lot of character types.

10th level is usually a feature for class archetype so it is good "epic" level to stop advancing that class.

and as proficiency bonus(bases attack bonus from old) goes from +2 to +4, rather than from +1 to +10, there is little inflation of the numbers.

and 2 level 5 spells per day should not break stuff too much.

snickersnax

Explorer
I am totally excited about 5EE6. It solves almost everything I don't like about 5E. I'm playing it like the 3.5 E6 version with the following changes:

All level 1 characters start with 2 HD for hit points (maxed of course) and a proficiency bonus of only +1. Proficiency bonus increases to +2 at level 3.
After level 6, feat acquisition follows the normal class feature chart (I don't do post-level 6 extra attacks and of course there is no post 6 spell progression). The other way I could say this is hit points, multi-attack and spell progression stop at level 6.

Other rules just because I'm a grinch:)
I've eliminated cantrip progression completely.
I also don't allow +2 ASI post 6 (but you can still take a feat)

Love it Love it Love it

Remove ads