D&D 5E E6 in 5e

Cool. I hope you can share it when you happy with it or want feedback.

So far, the basic premises is that 20 level is just too much. I don't want to play a superhero game, but I like many of the sub-class features that are restricted to higher levels. Similarly, I'm taking the chance to slightly lessen the power of ranged weapon combat, remove expertise, etc. The ranger class is gone, replaced by the scout (rogue subclass) and the ranger (a new fighter subclass). A few other classes might hit the dust, as well.

Stalker0

Legend
I do think 5e benefits less from an E6 than 3.5 did, but I still think the concept is solid. It really comes down to the fact that once you hit 4th level spells (and even more so 5th level spells)...the gameplay does start to shift.

Divination as a ritual, banishment and wall of force as 1 shot monster "kills", the raw physical power of polymorph or animate objects....the game does shift in a way that a DM has to adapt to keep a proper game flow.

I will repeat, doesn't mean its a bad thing, but for those who aren't looking for the gameplay to shift as dramatically, and E6 concept can work very well.

Last edited:

I think where E6 doesn't fit as well as in 3E is that 5e has far less point buy dna left.

E6 was basically a way of making D20 function more like all the point-buy games that were a clear influence on it.

With E6 when you reach level 6 you still have character decisions to make in regards to feats and skill points and the like. How do you do this in 5E?

Last edited:

I think where E6 doesn't fit as well as in 3E is that 5e has far less point buy dna left.

E6 was basically a way of making D20 function more like all the point-buy games that were a clear influence on it.

With E6 when you reach level 6 you still have character decisions to make in regards to feats and skill points and the like. How do you do this in 5E?

If you were to stop at level 6, I would create new feats from higher level class features. If I were to do a version of e6, my main enemy would be hit point inflation, not game-breaking special abilities.

CapnZapp

Legend
However, what I do think 5EE6 could help with is a particular issue you are having CapnZapp. If you cap HP, Attacks, and spells at PC level 6-10. I think the higher CR monsters would be more relevant as is.
The elephant in the room is: playing D&D without the level-up experience is boring.

What you're suggesting is really nothing more than "use high level monsters already at medium level". You can do that in the base game already, no houserules needed. Just sayin'...

My "particular issue" has a specific solution: WotC doing better monster design, not coddling their high-level critters.

Remove ads