E6: The Game Inside D&D (new revision)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ry

Explorer
Whatever CR bump D&D gives for wealth, you can give for your wealthy NPCs. As you can see above, you can use 300*CR as the experience award, so if you think the wealth of the NPCs ups their CR by 2, add 600 xp to the encounter's award.

Ry

Explorer
Also, I think your idea of making neg levels nonpermanent (or changing the level of Restoration or using a ritual) is fine; I kept it as a feat because I wanted to restrict all my low-level tinkering to new feats where possible.

Last edited:

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
rycanada said:
Experience is awarded at a rate of 300 * CR defeated, and kept constant.

So 12 gnolls are worth as much as a mature adult white dragon?

I think this formula might be a bit *too* simple.

Ry

Explorer
I was writing, earlier, something where characters grew 1 CR : 5 feats, but that doesn't hold up on the long term. 300*CR is the rate for level-appropriate encounters.

But I'm open to suggestions.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Why not play by the book? That gives the same xp when CR = level. Maybe add an LA (value to be determined by playtesting- +1/5 feats sounds about right). It'll break down eventually, but it will work longer and for a broader range of challenges than a linear formula.

If monsters are advanced analogously to PCs the formula will hold up longer: Base monsters up to CR 6 or so, improved with templates and feats, but not extra hit dice or high level spellcasting.

Ry

Explorer
Can I get some help with the wording? As I discussed above after 20 feats it becomes harder to bring all your feats to bear in a given combat, so here's my next try:

For the purpose of experience awards, treat any character or monster as 1 level (or 1 CR) higher for each 5 extra feats up until they have earned 20 extra feats, and 1 level higher per 10 extra feats after that.

The way I deal with Negative Energy levels and ability damage in my campaigns is that I, as the DM, always consider a PC's saving throw to remove them to be successfull. No bookkeeping and happy players.

Khuxan

First Post
I've discovered D&D Miniatures are well suited to Ry20. The vast majority are CR <7*, and of those that are above CR 6, a fair amount are monsters that can still be used in a way. In fact, it's quite fun to look through my above-sixes and work out where each one belongs in a Ry20 campaign:
the CR 11 Stone Golem that guards the entrance to an ancient kingdom...
the CR 8 Warforged Titan whose creation ended a border dispute between two nations...
the CR 9 Aspect of Orcus isn't an Aspect, it's the Orcus...
the CR 8 Efreeti you hope stays in its lamp - because if it broke free, it could raze cities...
the CR 7 Yuan-ti Abomination which heads the empire-spanning Slithering Cult...
the CR 7 Bulette that destroys every caravan to venture through the Wastes...
the CR 13 Huge Red Dragon that is the first dragon, the dragon from which all others sprung...
the CR 8 Treant which is the heart of the deepest forest in the land...

*From the ones I've got. I've not bought them in a while, so I'm not sure how they've changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads