E6: The Game Inside D&D (new revision)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nifelhein

First Post
rycanada said:
Dog's suggestion sounds good to me.

Nifelhein, FYI another guy sent me a .pdf version of the file, I'll post it here after I get a chance to do some revisions on it.

Okay, I am actually still working on the border, I have been too lazy to do much work this week but I am pretty sure I am near a good one for it. Did he just pdf-ed it or he edited and did some graphical work as well?

Once I am done I will let you know though. ;)

Ry

Explorer
Here's what J.A. Dettman did:

(Just E6, not the drama rules in this document for the reasons mentioned before)

Last edited:

Nifelhein

First Post
It looks really good, the whole side bar bothers me a bit but it looks good. I was aiming for a more graphical one, it still needed a lot of work but here is a preview of the file with a border, I used the one you posted earlier and changed any D&D to D20, but text is not something I worked on here (neither the formatting of the text).

I wanted to add a heraldry to the shield and work more on the sword. The wooden frame needs some more texture and is still a bit rough.

Attachments

• E6 Bordered Preview.zip
    159.4 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:

mfrench

First Post
Nifelhein:

I tried to download yours, but when I opened it, I got an error. Perhaps the problem is on my end, but maybe not. Anyone else have problems?

Ryan:

I finally started the thread I said I'd start a few weeks ago about building an E6 campaign. It is here. Hope that you enjoy it!

MrNexx

First Post
Something that came to me while I was doing the dishes about this... it also does a great job of explaining why elves haven't taken over the world. Sure, they live for centuries, but if they, like everyone else, are capped at 6th level, then the human ability to breed faster becomes a real advantage.

Ry

Explorer
Yep. It also legitimizes some elven badasses in my campaign; they've been around long enough to pull together a LOT of feats. But they're not silly / invulnerable, and they're not just a few levels from the PCs being able to kick their asses, or vice versa.

Dragonblade275

First Post
Yep. I remember a thread on the WOTC boards where someone suggested that elves must have a learning disability in standard DnD d20 to be able to live that long and still not be several levels higher than the majority of the shorter lived races.

I like E6 more and more the more I think about it. Perhaps, E6 is my 4th Edition?

Dragonblade275

First Post
E6 Gestalt Variant

Ryan,

How did your complicated E6 Gestalt rules work (that you mentioned before)?

I'm imagining a variant on E6 where characters can begin becoming Gestalt characters after 6th level. In this variant, they would choose a class and add whatever portion of that class' abilities were new to them in lieu of a feat every 5,000 XP.

So, a 6th level Elven Wizard decides to improve his combat ability. Instead of taking a feat, he gestalts into the fighter class.

He already has the base wizard abilities of BAB +3; FORT +2; REF +2; WILL +5; and spellcasting, summon familiar, scribe scroll, and a bonus metamagic feat.

Now, gestalting into fighter, he compares the 1st level of fighter with what he's already got. Since the BAB and saves of the 1st level fighter aren't better than what he's already got, none of these improve. But, he does pick up the armor and weapon proficiencies of being a fighter and one fighter bonus feat.

Continuing this route... He could eventually be a full Gestalt Wizard6/Fighter6 with the following:

BAB +6; FORT +5; REF +2; WILL +5
Wizard: 6th level spellcasting ability; summon familiar; scribe scroll; 1 bonus Wizard feat
Fighter: Light, Medium, & Heavy Armor Proficiency; Shield & Tower Shild Proficiency; Simple & Martial Weapon Proficiency; and 4 fighter bonus feats.

Of course, he'd still be subject to the normal arcane speall failure percentages while in most armors without additional feats.

And, note that none of his base abilities ever rise above the maximum for a 6th level character.

Any thoughts?

My first thought would be that the XP cost of doing this should be different (more than) the XP cost of a feat.

My second thought is that many older elves would be double, if not triple gestalts with multiple feats on top of that. Thus supporting the popular idea of the Elven Fighter/Wizard.

Last edited:

Ry

Explorer
Sorry Dragonblade... those notes were junked and are now over 3 years in the past. I really can't remember them. I know the idea was something like "Now that you've gained level 7, you're a gestalt Wizard6/Fighter 1, which of course is mostly the Wizard6, but you get a feat for fighter 1. Level 8 is Wizard6/Fighter2, and so on." But don't hold me to that design - that was something I abandoned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads