• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

E6: The Game Inside D&D (with PDFs!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfrench

First Post
Ryan:
I believe it was the first incarnation of this rules-set, but someone mentioned turning Prestige Classes into feat chains. Have you considered this any more, or do you have a link to another thread about this?

[threadjack]
Curse you, Rycanada! Curse you!

Your E6 is wrecking sabotage to my elation at reading about Paizo's Pathfinder Chronicles. How am I to play the Pathfinder series when I'm at the same time is yearning to play E6 as my next campaign. How, I ask! HOW!

[/threadjack]

Ry

Explorer
Google, guys. Google :)

site:www.enworld.org "prestige feats"

http://www.enworld.org/archive/index.php/t-98359.html

Sorcica, what's wrong with running E6 with the pathfinder material? Especially the first bit. Have you seen my Tars method thread in General? Imagine first 3 Pathfinders + Tars method and you've got a campaign that can run for AGES, letting you ease into E6 versions of Pathfinder's wackier high-level enemies. I'd be happy to advise, I'm in for at least the first few Pathfinders before my $ runs out.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Hmmm... currently, I'm identifying 'iconic' spells and convert them to incantations... as an example:

Rite of Revival
Conjuration (Healing)
Effective Level: 6th
Skill Check: Knowledge (Religion) DC 24, 6 successes
Failure: Attack
Components: V, S, M, F
Casting Time: 6 hours
Range: Touch
Target: Dead creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None (see text)
Spell Resistance: No

This rare incantation is usually only available to large temples, where it is only taught to the upper ranks of priesthoods, as it grants power over life and death.
This incantation is cast on a dead creature, no longer dead than 12 days. The corpse is chained to the altar, and the priests chant sacred verses of revival, pulling back the soul of the deceased to the material plane, while slowly detaching and removing the chains around legs, arms and neck.
The soul must be free and willing to be raised and is automatically informed about the name and deity of all casters of this incantation.
If the soul accepts and the incantation is successful, the creature is brought back to life with 1 hp. Mortal wounds are closed, superficial rot is cured, but missing body parts are not regenerated, which may result in another death, if vital parts are missing.

Failure: The revival fails, and fell spirits from the world beyond are called into the world (1d3+1 wraiths).
Material Components: Sacred oils, worth at least 500 gp.
Focus: A marble altar, worth at least 5,000 gp.
Backlash: Caster and secondary casters are exhausted after the incantation.
Extra Casters: Six secondary casters, who chant sacred verses during the rite.

Design Notes: It's basically a raise dead, incantified. While incantations are usually specific, this one is generic - because the raise dead spell is generic. Important points to note are:
It cares about body parts, hence it doesn't break the world that easily: Good assassins just take the heart - for a reason, meaning assassins have to come into range to cut the chest open, lop off the head and so on (and hence making assassins a better foe in an adventure).
Second, the consequences for a failure are quite dire, meaning NPCs are dis-inclined to use this incantation or require protection by the PCs (though a wraith-army can be a pretty dangerous thing, even for PCs, especially considering the exhaustion of the casters).

If anybody is interested, I'm going to do more incantation (or even do a DC-breakdown, using the incantation rules).

Hierax

First Post
Incantations?

Incantations?

Which book(s) are these new-fangled spell-things from (source/reference)?

Thanks!

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Hierax said:
Incantations?

Which book(s) are these new-fangled spell-things from (source/reference)?

Thanks!
Oops... a link, like this would've been handy, eh? Sorry 'bout omitting it! :)

And it is from Unearthed Arcana, a 2004 book full of variant rules (and OGL goodness!).

EDIT: I guess incantations have the problem, that they may re-introduce spell effects, people don't like, or like'em somehow restrained, so you may consider the following feat:

Incantation Knowledge
You have learned mysterious, strange rituals of magic.
Prerequisites: Ability to cast 3rd-level spells, Knowledge (arcana) 4 ranks, IN 13+.
Benefit: You learn incantations equal your IN-modifier.
Special: You can take this feat several times. You learn new incantations each time. You can only learn an incantation you have access to (in the form of a teacher, book or other documentation).

Last edited:

Khuxan

First Post
Hi Lord Tirian,

The 6-level-long variant d20 system I'm working on uses rituals (read: incantations for any level) as one of its cornerstones. I'm very interested in what you're doing. From the work you've done so far on incantations, have you found their layout and mechanics unwieldy? That's the impression I've gotten from my experiments.

I haven't figured out how to fix it yet, though.

Cheers.

EDIT: Also, does anyone know of any incantations beyond those found in Unearthed Arcana and Urban Arcana?

EDIT 2: Something along the lines of
RITE OF REVIVAL
Conjuration (Healing)
Effective Level: 6th

Skill Check: Knowledge (Religion) DC 24, 6 successes.
Ritual (6 hours): V, S; six secondary casters chant sacred verses during the rite; caster and secondary casters are exhausted after the incantation; focus is a marble altar worth 5,000gp or more; 500gp of sacred oils required as material components.
Failure: The revival fails, and fell spirits from the world beyond are called into the world (1d3+1 wraiths).

Range: Touch
Target: Dead creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None (see text)
Spell Resistance: No

This rare incantation is usually only available to large temples, where it is only taught to the upper ranks of priesthoods, as it grants power over life and death.
This incantation is cast on a dead creature, no longer dead than 12 days. The corpse is chained to the altar, and the priests chant sacred verses of revival, pulling back the soul of the deceased to the material plane, while slowly detaching and removing the chains around legs, arms and neck.

The soul must be free and willing to be raised and is automatically informed about the name and deity of all casters of this incantation.

If the soul accepts and the incantation is successful, the creature is brought back to life with 1 hp. Mortal wounds are closed, superficial rot is cured, but missing body parts are not regenerated, which may result in another death, if vital parts are missing.

The classic format just confuses and frustrates me with all this information scattered around the place.

Last edited:

GameDoc

Explorer
Prestige Organizations

rycanada said:

This was an interesting discussion - especially with regards to the original concept of prestige classes as selective and elite societies.

An idea I came up with a while back, but that I have yet to have an opportunity to test out in game play was to combine prestige classes with the affiliation rules from the Players Handbook II. Basically you would require the initiation tests described in Unearthed Arcana. Successful completion would yield an affiliation score. Your affiliation score must increased by a certain amount before taking the next level in the PrC. This ties advancement in the PrC back to how the character maintains ties and service to the interests of the PrC instead of just a function of gaining XP.

This might be a good basis for Prestige Feats in E6. In addition to the prerequisite abilities, skills, feats, etc, a character must make sure he remains in good standing with his prestige organization to gain continued access to training in the feats that are the "trade secrets" of the organization. As it turns out, Unearthed Arcana also has a system for doing initiation test for feats. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads