E6: The Game Inside D&D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miar

First Post
You could do the vitality wound point system so that higher lv characters would be more at risk. There's an expansion/version that deals with some of the bugs running around somewhere (actually I think it's on a fan site for midnight -is that the setting, it's listed as a general fan expansion that has other stuff as well). The thing about this though is it doesn't deal with the real world skill aspect. Reworking the skill system to be accurate at higher levels seems like it would be a lot of work.

rom90125 said:
Here is a response I received from my best player (and best friend) regarding E6:

<sigh>...and I was really looking forward to running E6 with this group. I guess I will have to find some other players in my area that are willing to try something different.

Ry

Explorer
This issue (monsters are out of whack) is clearly the part of E6 that is understood the least. I will try to make it clearer by adding this section to the bottom of the main document.

For the GM

E6 isn't just a change for the players: The scale for monsters in E6 is different than d20. Just as level 6 parties shouldn't be expected to tangle with monsters higher than CR 10, the mighty monsters of E6 should be made using a CR 7-10 as a base, and then enhancing those creatures with feats.

Huge and Gargantuan creatures can be created from smaller ones with templates and feats - but not with extra hit dice.

Ry

Explorer
If I don't find a decent one I'll write it.

Essentially the template is "gain 2 size categories as per the table in the MM" but I'd also double the Con bonus since we're not adding hit dice.

Ry

Explorer
This (both the note about templates and my response about size category templating) is probably an example of:

"Something ry thinks is obvious but... isn't!"

joela

First Post
Why not?

rycanada said:
E6 characters aren't intended to go up against high-level D&D threats.

I don't see why not. However, it'll require a different mindset: teamwork, lotta major quests to secure the "powerful" items to take down the CR10+5 dragon/demon/lich/whatever, etc. I was checking out (now defunct) SSS' various supplements as well as Malhavoc's Eldritch series and they have plenty of great ideas on how to use rituals, runes, ceremonies to "power up" PCs so they could face -- at least temporarily -- take on those threats toe-to-toe. This is very much in the vein of most literary fantasy fiction.

Ry

Explorer
Perhaps I should have said:

E6 characters aren't intended to go up against high-level D&D threats under the same circumstances as high-level D&D characters.

joela

First Post
More feats per 5k experience?

rycanada said:
E6 characters aren't intended to go up against high-level D&D threats.

Another thought: would increasing the number of feats per 5k (2-4?) improve PCs' "power" to face regular DnD high-end threats like dragons?

Ry

Explorer
Eventually, maybe. But I'd still say that your circumstance notes are more important. And that's hard to gauge. I certainly can't see an E6 character going up against a Concordant Killer, or a Titan, and winning.

joela

First Post
rycanada said:
Perhaps I should have said:

E6 characters aren't intended to go up against high-level D&D threats under the same circumstances as high-level D&D characters.

Yeah. Or ...under the same criteria or rules as high-level D&D characters. Then provide examples of regular high-level threats and PCs versus E6 threats (i.e., CR10+5) and PCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads