Earth Dragon Arena: Covaithe vs Oni

Atanatotatos

First Post
[sblock=covaithe]yes, I see what you mean. It's absolutely reasonable though probably not the "orthodox" way of readying actions; but I prefer being flexible with these things. Now it's too late but next time I'll interpret it that way. [/sblock]

Oni

First Post
Thick silvery mist begins to steam up from the ground nearby obscuring sight into the area. After a moment, movement in the mist can be seen. A small silhouette gestures and the whole of the mist is bathed in a pale radiance for a split second before a pulsating sphere of sickly light flies out to orbit the dwarf like some demented moon raining down searing beams whenever she tries to move. Then the halfling whispered something, the terrible syllables seem to grown and spread and echo around the arena and reverberate at the base of her skull. The halflings silhouette backed away as the echos faded, trailing mist as he went.

[sblock=Atanatotatos]

Minor: While enjoying my still hidden (hopefully) state in the in concealment, drink potion of clarity and spend the requisite healing surge.

Standard: Dread Star: Chr vs Will (1d20+6+1+2=23)
Radiant Damage/Curse Damage (3d6+5=15, 1d6=5)
Target immobilized until the end of my next turn and -2 Will def (save ends)

AP

Standard: Dreadful Word: Chr vs Will (1d20+6+1=26)
Psychic Damage (2d8+5=19)
Target takes -1 Will def until the end of my next turn (I wrote -2 on my char sheet in error).

Move: move to I6

[/sblock]

Atanatotatos

First Post
As soon as Joshua is visible again, before he can react, Yrnga charges him with a roar, and deals a powerful blow to him with his broadsword.

earthdragon.jpg

Yrnga: -5 hps
Joshua: -12 hps
[sblock=oni]covaithe had readied an action to charge Joshua as soon as he became visible, which is the start of your turn. Now you can take your actions[/sblock]

Oni

First Post
[sblock=Atanatotatos]

Here is my amended turn.

Move: Ethereal Stride to I5

Minor:drink potion of clarity and spend the requisite healing surge.

Standard: Dread Star: Chr vs Will (1d20+6+1+2=23)
Radiant Damage/Curse Damage (3d6+5=15, 1d6=5)
Target immobilized until the end of my next turn and -2 Will def (save ends)

AP

Standard: Dreadful Word: Chr vs Will (1d20+6+1=26)
Psychic Damage (2d8+5=19)
Target takes -1 Will def until the end of my next turn (I wrote -2 on my char sheet in error).

[/sblock]

Atanatotatos

First Post
Joshua is surprised by the dwarf's sudden charge, but reacts promptly. The halfling disappears and reappears a heartbeat later a few steps away. His retaliation is frightening: Twice Yrnga is burnt by an eldritch light, that stuns him and wrecks his mind, leaving him unconscious on the ground.

earthdragon.jpg

Yrnga: 8 negative hps, immobilized and -1 will TENT, -2 Will(save)
Joshua: -12 hps

ooc:whoa! Those are some lucky rolls! Yrnga is unconscious, he has his turn to regain consciousness, otherwise the fight is over already! o_O

covaithe

Explorer
ooc: Pretty sure the only way I can come back from that is a nat. 20 on the death save, which is... 7. Congratulations, Oni. The dice have spoken, the fight is yours.

Atanatotatos

First Post
Joshua blinks and the arena disappears from his sight. He's back in the dark chamber. Waiting...

ooc:Wow, that was definitely...quick. Certainly the high rolls are a big part of the reason, but I guess I should have chosen a higher level. Uhmmm...

covaithe

Explorer
It's just the way the system works, I'm afraid. PCs aren't meant to be able to handle the kind of damage that PCs dish out, and the only way to come back from unconsciousness is to have your allies rescue you. In a one on one situation, pretty much any build is vulnerable to one round of big damage. And APs don't help...

Anyway, well played to Oni for building a character that put me way off my game plan.

Oni

First Post
I pretty much agree with what covaithe's assessment of the situation. That wasn't even all that much damage.

A rogue could potentially put out:

2d8+10+2d6+2+1d6+1d8+9+2d8+8 for an avg of 62 damage or a damage spread of 37-87

Remove ads