Earth Dragon Arena: Covaithe vs Oni

Atanatotatos

First Post
ooc: ooops! I forgot it too. huge difference, since it's a hit. Post updated.
[sblock=covaithe]Joshua is invisible to Yrnga now, and his passive perception is not high enough; to try and locate Joshua you can try a perception check as a minor action[/sblock]

Last edited:

covaithe

Explorer
"Hrmpf! Afraid to face me, are ye? Well, ne'er mind. I'll find ye soon enough." Yrnga marches forward, looking around suspiciously.

[sblock=Atanatotatos]Not bothering with the perception check this time. Minor: second wind, +9 HP and +2 to defenses. Move: to F15. Standard: ready action to charge when he becomes visible. Assuming this is Eyebite, that should be at the start of his turn, meaning initiative order is unaffected. The charge attack hits AC 16 for 16 damage. That doesn't include any penalties, since I don't know what penalties might apply.[/sblock]

Atanatotatos

First Post
Yrnga calmly searches the arena, ready to fend off any attacks. He seems to have immediately regained his composure.

earthdragon.jpg

Yrnga -1 hp, +2 defenses
Joshua invisible

Atanatotatos

First Post
Joshua appears only a few steps from Yrnga, at his extreme surprise. So much that he remains stunned and doesn't manage to react. His mind is struck again and Joshua, again, becomes invisible.

map is unchaged.

Yrnga: -17 hps
Joshua: invisible
[sblock=covaithe]I'm sorry covaithe, you were very unlucky here. You moved only one square from Joshua, so you could not charge him, and lost the action. Bad luck man, the tactic was sound. However, this time you hear something. You perceive that the halfling has moved south-west from your location, and is 4 to 6 squares away from you.[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
[sblock=ata]Hey, no worries, it was a risk. I do wonder, though, if it would have been possible for Ynrga to move adjacent as part of her readied action, even though she didn't get to move far enough to make it a charge? It would have been nice to be able to threaten an OA against a ranged attack, even if the charge didn't fire. I realize I didn't specify that clearly in my description, so if you rule No, that's fine, I'll just be more clear next time. I'll wait until I hear from you to put up another action. [/sblock]

Atanatotatos

First Post
[sblock=covaithe]well, you can certainly ready an action to just move adjacent to Joshua as soon as you see him, but usually readied actions need to be pretty specific to work. But remember you can only ready one action(unless I'm ill-informed) so you can't, for examle, move and attack (except for a charge obviously since it's a standard action. Well, you could try a perception check as a minor to see if you can locate the exact square, but you already know the general direction and distance so...[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
[sblock=Ata]Hmm, I'm still not sure I've communicated myself correctly. But no big deal; let's move on and try this again.[/sblock]

Yrnga spits a bit of blood out onto the sand. "Better, but ye're not gonna put this dwarf down that easy." She mutters a few quiet words and moves southwest, eyes searching the arena.

[sblock=Ata]Minor: lay on hands, heals 12.
Move: two southwest. Assuming four to six squares SW-ish is where Joshua is, that should put him at least two and at most four squares away.
Standard: ready attack to charge if possible, or to move as close as possible to Joshua if not, as soon as he becomes visible. Hits AC 25 for 12 damage. [/sblock]

Atanatotatos

First Post
Yrnga emits a soft golden light, and seems relieved from most of his pain again. He moves warily a few steps in Joshua's direction, then once again stops, waiting.

earthdragon.jpg

Yrnga: -5 hps
Joshua: invisible
[sblock=covaithe]I'm sorry covaithe, did I misunderstand something?[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
[sblock=ata]It's no big deal. I was just trying to articulate an argument that trying to charge, when charging isn't possible due to movement requirements, could be interpreted as simply moving without getting an attack at the end. In other words, interpreting the charge text as something like this: "Move up to your speed. If you have moved at least two squares, and have moved directly to the closest square from which you can attack, then make a basic melee attack with +1 to hit. If your movement doesn't meet those requirements, then you get no attack." In the general case this doesn't matter, because if you're just moving on your turn, you wouldn't bother with that kind of logic, you'd just either do a move action, or do the charge action as written. But when you're readying a charge, you don't know in advance whether it will be possible to meet the movement requirements. I just think it makes more sense to interpret a charge in that circumstance as a move action with no attack allowed at the end, rather than nothing at all.

But, really, it's no big deal. You're the DM, your interpretation stands. This is just for fun, after all; there's no point making a fuss about it.[/sblock]

Remove ads