• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Easter Eggs in Volo's Guide to Monsters

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So, in the playable races section, there are little fiction blurbs introducing each Rave. There are several quotes from Tordek, the 3E Iconic Dwarf Fighter, and Gimble the iconic Gnome Bard. These are both Greyhawk characters, which begs the question of Volo has quotes from them?

Any other Easter Eggs people have noticed?

JohnnyNitro

First Post
Haven't got my hands on Volo yet, but there have been Easter Eggs aplenty sprinkled throughout the Core Three, i.e Battlerager, Warlord, Ravenloft...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bmfrosty

Explorer
Dungeonology (and it's Volo's Guide to the Forgotten Realms) suggest that the walls between Greyhawk and Faerun are becoming thinner.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Other thoughts:

Xanathar Guild takes up a lot of real estate in the Beholder section, and the Xanathat is on the cover of the MM: could the Xanathat be the BBEG of an eventual Waterdeep/Undermountain storyline?

There is an offhand ed mention of how some people think the ancient Mindflayer empire was not destroyed, but flu f out of time into the future: is this a tie to anything from previous Illithid lore, or maybe a setup for a Mindflayer AP tied into Psionics...?

phantomK9

Explorer
In addition to the quote from Gimble there is one from another of the old 3E iconic characters that references two other of the iconic characters (forgot their names off hand).

Also, in the Tabaxi write up, there is a quote in the beginning from Toblin Stonehill, proprietor of the Stonehill Inn. Which for anyone who has played Lost Mine of Phandelver is a well known NPC from that setting.

Lot's of cool things in Volo's guide, still working on digesting it.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Aw ... I'm sure that they'll just make Greyhawk (aka the Flanaess) a newly discovered part of a continent on Faerun. Because why not?

Why would they do that, when planar travel between them is established in the PHB already? That wouldn't make any sense.

Irennan

Explorer
Other thoughts:

Xanathar Guild takes up a lot of real estate in the Beholder section, and the Xanathat is on the cover of the MM: could the Xanathat be the BBEG of an eventual Waterdeep/Undermountain storyline?

There is an offhand ed mention of how some people think the ancient Mindflayer empire was not destroyed, but flu f out of time into the future: is this a tie to anything from previous Illithid lore, or maybe a setup for a Mindflayer AP tied into Psionics...?

The Xanathar is also heavily featured in Ed's latest novel, Death Masks, and that novel has a lot of lore tidbits about things that are to come (it had the giant fortress floating above Waterdeep, for example).

Remove ads