D&D 5E Eberron Is Here Today!

Eberron: Rising from the Last War hits local gamestores today. Eberron creator Keith Baker talks on his blog about what's changed! So, what's changed? The Mror Dwarves, races, Dragonmarks, the Mournland, Lady Illmarrow, monsters... but not guns! And what's new? The artificer class, group patrons, warforged colossus, and scary monsters! Explore the lands of Eberron in this campaign...

Eberron: Rising from the Last War hits local gamestores today. Eberron creator Keith Baker talks on his blog about what's changed!

Eberron-title.png

So, what's changed? The Mror Dwarves, races, Dragonmarks, the Mournland, Lady Illmarrow, monsters... but not guns!

And what's new? The artificer class, group patrons, warforged colossus, and scary monsters!

Explore the lands of Eberron in this campaign sourcebook for the world’s greatest roleplaying game.

This book provides everything players and Dungeon Masters need to play Dungeons & Dragons in Eberron—a war-torn world filled with magic-fueled technology, airships and lightning trains, where noir-inspired mystery meets swashbuckling adventure. Will Eberron enter a prosperous new age, or will the shadow of war descend once again?

• Meld magic and invention to craft objects of wonder as an artificer—the first official class to be released for fifth edition D&D since the Player’s Handbook.
  • Enter the world of Eberron in a 1st-level adventure set in Sharn, the City of Towers
  • Dive straight into your pulp adventures with easy-to-use locations, complete with maps of train cars, battle-scarred fortresses, and fallen warforged colossi.
  • Explore Sharn, a city of skyscrapers, airships, and intrigue and a crossroads for the world’s war-ravaged peoples.
  • Flesh out your characters with a new D&D game element called a group patron—a background for your whole party.
  • Explore 16 new race/subrace options including dragonmarks, which magically transform certain members of the races in the Player’s Handbook.
  • Confront horrific monsters born from the world’s devastating wars.
  • Prepare to venture into the Mournland, a mist-cloaked, corpse-littered land twisted by magic.

MarkB

Legend
But WTF is there no index? Even the worst-of-all-indexes record-breaking Player's Handbook index is better than none...
It's not as though there's much in the way of obscure rules and references buried away in this one. What would you be likely to need an index for that you couldn't find from the table of contents?

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I think I'd be more upset about the lack of index if the book wasn't laid out nearly as well as it is. Maybe it's my familiarity of the setting talking too, though; I already know exactly which sections I'd go to if I wanted more info on Morgrave University, so the ToC works just as well for me.

ChaosOS

Legend
The other consideration is that the book is exactly 320 pages - since it's already the second longest book in 5e, short of the Monster Manual, what page of content would you cut for the index?

Gradine

The other consideration is that the book is exactly 320 pages - since it's already the second longest book in 5e, short of the Monster Manual, what page of content would you cut for the index?

If we're taking nominations, I'd humbly offer "stating up any of the Overlords".

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
If we're taking nominations, I'd humbly offer "stating up any of the Overlords".
Hard disagree.

Stating the Darlkyr bothers me. The overlords, though, I expect to sometimes defeat one as a level 20 party that will change the nature of the setting going forward, potentially removing or elevating factions, and contending with the great powers. Overlords can’t be killed, but neither can Tiamat in most worlds, and she can still be fought.

Gradine

Hard disagree.

Stating the Darlkyr bothers me. The overlords, though, I expect to sometimes defeat one as a level 20 party that will change the nature of the setting going forward, potentially removing or elevating factions, and contending with the great powers. Overlords can’t be killed, but neither can Tiamat in most worlds, and she can still be fought.

I feel the exact opposite way. Overlords are supposed to be of the same power-level as demigods at the least. Avatars and aspects? Sure. The Overlords themselves? No way; they're meant to be stopped, not fought.

The Daelkyr, on the other hand, seem like just right physical match for a high-level party.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I feel the exact opposite way. Overlords are supposed to be of the same power-level as demigods at the least. Avatars and aspects? Sure. The Overlords themselves? No way; they're meant to be stopped, not fought.

The Daelkyr, on the other hand, seem like just right physical match for a high-level party.
Again, Tiamat, who is an actual god, can be fought in DnD. Defeated =\= dead, but part of the point of Eberron is that the PCs are truly exceptional. The Overlords can’t be killed, except by these heroes who are possessed of incredible power beyond even ancient dragons, with artifacts of power empowered by prophecy, etc

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic

Those statblocks aren't The Demon Overlords as mortal incarnations, just vessels that hold a sliver of their power. Many of them are basically forces of nature & such given form... The rage of war, secrets whispered in darkness, the burning cold of winter, etc. You may as well be fighting gravity by attacking a black hole, destroying it doesn't remove gravity from the universe.

It's not as though there's much in the way of obscure rules and references buried away in this one. What would you be likely to need an index for that you couldn't find from the table of contents?
Many things to look up! First thing I was looking for was a description of "lightning rail", then other stuff and places. Would have been nice.

Remove ads

Remove ads