Eberron It Is? [UPDATED & CONFIRMED!]

As I said in the other thread, the question is now whether we're just going to see DMs Guild and PDF support, or whether, once the psionic and artificer rules are set, we'll be seeing something more substantial in the way of an actual published book. I have a feeling that once the necessary rules are in place (with a likely rules expansion book early next year for new classes and races), we'll...

As I said in the other thread, the question is now whether we're just going to see DMs Guild and PDF support, or whether, once the psionic and artificer rules are set, we'll be seeing something more substantial in the way of an actual published book. I have a feeling that once the necessary rules are in place (with a likely rules expansion book early next year for new classes and races), we'll be seeing a full book, and this is just to whet the appetite and get things started...

Aldarc

Legend
The clockwork (magipunk, steampunk) aspect of Eberron is the least interesting to me. As a dungeon master, I have made the most mileage out of the Draconic Prophecies: weird dreams, omens in nature, chosen heroes, cryptic puzzles, strange and forbidden tomes of forgotten lore, dragon shards and dragonmarks: all the malleable stuff of epics.
One of the things I absolutely adore about Eberron from a GM-perspective is how many campaign hooks Keith Baker, James Wyatt, and Bill Slavicsek wrote for the original Eberron Campaign Setting.

Eryndur

Explorer
One of the things I absolutely adore about Eberron from a GM-perspective is how many campaign hooks Keith Baker, James Wyatt, and Bill Slavicsek wrote for the original Eberron Campaign Setting.

Speaking of which, Bill Slavicsek had such a huge hand in developing the original Eberron, I’m rather surprised he wasn’t listed in Keith’s “Special Thanks” section. Although, perhaps Keith was mentioning people directly responsible for this current (5e) iteration of the setting, rather than the original team.

Hellcow

Adventurer
Speaking of which, Bill Slavicsek had such a huge hand in developing the original Eberron, I’m rather surprised he wasn’t listed in Keith’s “Special Thanks” section. Although, perhaps Keith was mentioning people directly responsible for this current (5e) iteration of the setting, rather than the original team.
NOPE. This was 100% a mistake. I was specifically calling out the people involved in the first iteration and Bill was a big part of that. I'll be fixing that the next time we do an update and posting something about it.

Hellcow

Adventurer
Interesting, there's a section on gnolls in the PC race section, both detailing and posing questions on how to play a gnoll in Eberron. Given that it was said after Volo's that we wouldn't see playable gnolls in 5e, this is a bit of a surprise; I'm curious to see how it pans out, and when we will get the rules for character creation, as the section is currently all fluff.
Bear in mind that the WGtE is ultimately what *I* would do. The gnolls of the Znir Pact are quite different from Yeenoghu gnolls. It may be that WotC will never make official gnolls, but you can bet that I'LL present my unofficial version when I write a Droaam sourcebook.

Bear in mind that the WGtE is ultimately what *I* would do. The gnolls of the Znir Pact are quite different from Yeenoghu gnolls. It may be that WotC will never make official gnolls, but you can bet that I'LL present my unofficial version when I write a Droaam sourcebook.

I imagine that if we don't get an official gnoll PC race for 5e, the version you come up with will be "unofficially official" for most people, Eberron players or not.

Also, a very minor request - in some future update, it would be nice to have the full list of nicknames for the 5e dinosaurs, especially those that weren't given nicknames in 3e sources. It's always nice to have unscientific names for dinosaurs that the locals would use, and I've been using the Eberron versions even in my current Tomb of Annihilation campaign. I've made up a few names for stegosaurus and so on, but it would be nice to have a full "unofficial" list... :)

flametitan

Explorer

That's also one of the things I like about this book as a primer. While it might not go in depth about a lot of the locations in Eberron (I like fleshing things out and making the world mine, but I know some would rather have the deep dive), the fact that every location has a header for, "Why would you want to go here?" means that it's super focused on giving the DM hooks to latch on to and run away with, which to me is more important than having detailed lore.

gyor

Legend
I feel like Gnolls have always been viable PC races in Eberron. Basically any of the monstrous races make a pretty good fit for the setting.

This is also true of Ravnica, which is why I've been saying Ravnica is a prototype for what eberron would become in say a couple hundred (or thousand) years of time.

Aldarc

Legend
That's also one of the things I like about this book as a primer. While it might not go in depth about a lot of the locations in Eberron (I like fleshing things out and making the world mine, but I know some would rather have the deep dive), the fact that every location has a header for, "Why would you want to go here?" means that it's super focused on giving the DM hooks to latch on to and run away with, which to me is more important than having detailed lore.
Which on the whole communicates something bigger: "Why play in Eberron?"

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
This is also true of Ravnica, which is why I've been saying Ravnica is a prototype for what eberron would become in say a couple hundred (or thousand) years of time.

The more I read about Ravnica, the more this appears to ring true to me.

Eberron's always been a good fit for time travel arcs; now I'm thinking I might use Ravnica as part of a sourceguide for a Chrono Trigger-esque campaign.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
The more I read about Ravnica, the more this appears to ring true to me.

Eberron's always been a good fit for time travel arcs; now I'm thinking I might use Ravnica as part of a sourceguide for a Chrono Trigger-esque campaign.
Lucca: I'm an artificer!
Robo: And I'm a warforged!
Crono: ...

Remove ads

Remove ads