Eberron It Is? [UPDATED & CONFIRMED!]

As I said in the other thread, the question is now whether we're just going to see DMs Guild and PDF support, or whether, once the psionic and artificer rules are set, we'll be seeing something more substantial in the way of an actual published book. I have a feeling that once the necessary rules are in place (with a likely rules expansion book early next year for new classes and races), we'll...

As I said in the other thread, the question is now whether we're just going to see DMs Guild and PDF support, or whether, once the psionic and artificer rules are set, we'll be seeing something more substantial in the way of an actual published book. I have a feeling that once the necessary rules are in place (with a likely rules expansion book early next year for new classes and races), we'll be seeing a full book, and this is just to whet the appetite and get things started...

One thing slightly perplexes me about the choice of Eberron (other than always wanting to type it Ebberon, IDK why I do that).
Me too.

I get it right (usually) because I remember the setting has three mythical dragons Siberys, Eberron and Khyber, and since "Sibberys" and "Khybber" look silly it must be "ber" not "bber".

Interesting, there's a section on gnolls in the PC race section, both detailing and posing questions on how to play a gnoll in Eberron. Given that it was said after Volo's that we wouldn't see playable gnolls in 5e, this is a bit of a surprise; I'm curious to see how it pans out, and when we will get the rules for character creation, as the section is currently all fluff.

(There's a section for PC minotaurs as well, but that's less of surprise, since 5e rules for playable minotaurs have of course already been released in UA)

That's... interesting. Hard to imagine that it won't be confusing to have Gnolls appear on Dndbeyond but with a big disclaimer saying "ONLY IN EBERRON!!!". Maybe they'll create a new dog race (one of the big missing options) and then say, "By the way, in Eberron these guys are called Gnolls"...

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
I love the idea of this Eberron thing and think it is great the original creator can now do stuff with it.

I so hope WotC now reaches out to other original writers to get their interest in doing something similar for other settings. If they are not interested then other contributors (or later writers) could take it on.

The DmGuild allows for this sort of thing so let's hope it happens :)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Interesting, there's a section on gnolls in the PC race section, both detailing and posing questions on how to play a gnoll in Eberron. Given that it was said after Volo's that we wouldn't see playable gnolls in 5e, this is a bit of a surprise; I'm curious to see how it pans out, and when we will get the rules for character creation, as the section is currently all fluff.

(There's a section for PC minotaurs as well, but that's less of surprise, since 5e rules for playable minotaurs have of course already been released in UA)

They've said that standard D&D Gnolls won't be playable, but that's also true of standard D&D Minotaurs, and we look to be getting rules for them soon. Maybe a variant "in some world's" Gnoll is on the horizon and Baker knows it?

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I feel like Gnolls have always been viable PC races in Eberron. Basically any of the monstrous races make a pretty good fit for the setting.

Aldarc

Legend
One thing slightly perplexes me about the choice of Eberron (other than always wanting to type it Ebberon, IDK why I do that).

Eberron is a 'kitchen sink' kind of setting, it carefully made a place for /everything/ in D&D lore at the point it came out. 5e may be trying to appeal to fans of all editions, but it's not the kind of all-inclusive bloatware that cries out for a setting like Eberron (nor FR, nor Planescape, for that matter).
Not quite. I would not say that it makes a place for everything, but, rather, that you can. Eberron has not made a place for Gruumsh, but you can if you want to, though the book also encourages you to do so in a way that is congruent with the lore. So for example, you could make "Gruumsh" the orcish name for The Fury, one of the Dark Six gods. Gruumsh is not worshipped by the orcish druids of the Shadow Marshes of the east, but perhaps he is worshiped by the orcish barbarians of the Mror Holds of the west. It's so you can incorporate various options that D&D releases. Eberron does, however, expect that those options will dance to its tune. You will not just be dropping in Demogorgon with the given flavor text of the Monster Manual.

Tallifer

Hero
The clockwork (magipunk, steampunk) aspect of Eberron is the least interesting to me. As a dungeon master, I have made the most mileage out of the Draconic Prophecies: weird dreams, omens in nature, chosen heroes, cryptic puzzles, strange and forbidden tomes of forgotten lore, dragon shards and dragonmarks: all the malleable stuff of epics.

View attachment 99738

Reynard

Legend
The clockwork (magipunk, steampunk) aspect of Eberron is the least interesting to me. As a dungeon master, I have made the most mileage out of the Draconic Prophecies: weird dreams, omens in nature, chosen heroes, cryptic puzzles, strange and forbidden tomes of forgotten lore, dragon shards and dragonmarks: all the malleable stuff of epics.

View attachment 99738

The beauty of Eberron is just how broad a setting it is and how many facets it incorporates. Individual DMs can of course focus more or less on some of those specifics, so my Eberron campaign might lean into the post-war pulp adventure aspects while yours might really explore the inherent mystical nature of the setting. And we are both "play Eberron correctly."

Remove ads

Remove ads