(Eberron) Legacies - Updated 15 June

Shieldhaven

Explorer
I post each entry shortly before the next session - I might be one of the only up-to-date Story Hours on this board! We played this past week, so that entry will be posted sometime next week.

For some teasers:
Flying boats, a mummy, and the last of the students are discovered!

Haven

Shieldhaven

Explorer
We rode the column of water upward and came to yet another altar. These people really are out of control. The room also held a small sailing boat with several more canopic jars. Possibly I will come to regret taking everything of value from these jars, but I’ll deal with that if it happens. The other wall of the room appeared to be an elaborate mural, in remarkable detail, of the same boat, except floating on air, anchored to a cloud, and with a jewel set in the mast. We experimented and examined the room at very great length, eventually discovering that the mural was not particularly real. Maeve stuck her head through it and saw a third boat – this one actually doing what the mural depicted.

We continued through the next door and found a gold-leaf sarcophagus. Fel was interested in scraping off some of the gold, but he also pierced the very thin sheet of lead under the gold and all hell broke loose. The lid of the sarcophagus was pushed aside by the giant mummy (probably also Amun-Re) that rose out of the coffin and attacked us. We were all paralyzed with dread and despair for a few moments, in which time Fel was sorely wounded. As soon as I located my wits, I opened up with lightning. The mummy didn’t like that so much, so I decided that my arcane bolt spells would help solve all of his problems. Then he thought to put me out of commission – which is just another great time for a Greater Cloak of Transparency. I kept on blasting with arcane bolts while invisible; he turned his attacks on Gerron, who had finally come to himself. It was a damnably tough fight, but we came through.

We recovered the staff – one of the symbols of office – from the sarcophagus. Searching the rest of the chamber, we found a secret door. We suspect that the area behind this secret door is a teleportation circle much like the one that let us into the pyramid, but we weren’t inclined to try.

At something of a dead end, I decided we should go back down the column of water. We were separated in the effort, and Gerron and I were slightly injured by the buffeting of the waters. Once we met back up, we took one of the other exits from the pomegranate room and found the slave quarters – a supply room, a kitchen, and a sleeping area. There was also a strange bird-headed statue, with a blue dragon coiled at its base – possibly a representation of Aureon? Seemed to be for the slaves rather than for the giants. Anyway, when we came to the sleeping quarters, we found several wraiths and commenced to fighting them. My spells were desperately few at this point, and once again I relied on my wand of arcane bolts to see me through. I’ll need yet another by the time we get home, I’m sure. One of the wraiths was distinctly weaker than the others. It was the dwarf that we had sought, who had been killed not long before by the wraiths. His body was in the room, and we found his papers and his magical shortsword. So I suppose this means (once we collect Yowen) that we’re done with this hellhole. But I’m still not too sure if we have the gem we need. Sigh.

Some questions that remain:
Well, obviously, have we or will we find the gem that is Amun-Re’s other symbol of office? What will happen when we do? How much time has passed? Is Xilonen still awaiting us? Could we have saved more of the students through quicker action? (Not, mind you, that we could have possibly known this at the time – but one was killed in front of our eyes and another very shortly before we arrived.) Will we find anything else that we can take back with us to Morgrave? I feel like a right bastard for looting the place – that’s how Morgrave got its sullied reputation in the first place – but considering how badly we need to resupply and improve our armaments, we are short on alternatives.

----------------

So, we played this past Sunday (to make up for missing two Thursdays ago), and we'll be playing again this week. Happy! Also, we have finally escaped from the pyramid and returned to Sharn, considerably the worse for wear.

And I'm less than 200 xp from 8th level, but I'm about to enchant a boatload of magic items and get back down to somewhere near the rest of the PCs - presently a difference of slightly over 1000 xp.

Haven

Shieldhaven

Explorer
Reposting entries:

In the end, we failed to rescue anyone at all. We went back to Yowen. He had found a secret door in the wall behind him and, upon opening it, been killed. We followed him and nearly met the same fate. Gerron was paralyzed and slain before any of us could aid him. We then had to drag his corpse – and this was exactly as nightmarish as it sounds – up to the skyship so that we could leave. This meant hauling him back up that chimney from the lower labyrinth to the upper chambers. Of course, losing Yowen wasn’t all that bad, as he had previously been killed and replaced by a doppelganger – no mere changeling he! Also, the room in which Gerron was killed had a creation schema engraved in the wall. It frustrates me deeply that I did not have the power to identify that schema. Maeve and I were both almost completely drained, and given our capacity this is saying something. But we had not rested since before we faced Munafik, I do not believe.

The skyship has an air elemental bound within. After some discussion, Fel took the helm and snarled at the elemental for awhile. He successfully cowed it and we were off. Suddenly Amun-Re appeared in his ghostly form. He observed that we had successfully removed both gem and staff from his tomb and offered us a boon. There was only one real answer here, as I doubt we could have gotten Gerron resurrected back in Sharn. So one Wish later, Amun-Re began to fade to whatever final reward awaits him, and Gerron was alive again. Subdued, perhaps, and clearly drained by the harrowing experience, but alive. Amun-Re thanked us and was gone. Presumably the lands will be green again someday, but I’m not sure if I care. The people who will benefit are all evil cultists, as far as I can tell. Maybe the drow will be able to work out some kind of benefit from this.

We took the boat down when night came, and met with Xilonen. He had indeed waited for us. We slept that night, and many nights thereafter, in the boat. We covered the distance back to New Wroat in what must be record time, cleverly bringing the boat in on the water so as to disguise it as… a boat. Specifically, a nice, boring, non-flying boat. We parted ways with Xilonen there and gave him a minor healing potion to thank him for his trouble. I also met up with Joshua d’Cannith again – I am becoming convinced that this man needs to be recalled to Sharn for a few months, just for his own health – and gave him the exploding-pomegranate seeds and the broadleaf fronds that we had collected. The next day we headed home.

It still blows my mind to consider that we were gone for only a little over a month. It feels like a year has passed, a year of confusion and terror. I have gained a great deal of power since we departed; when we left I had only just learned to cast spells of the third circle, and now I am well into my study of the fourth.

When we arrived in Sharn, we did so in grand style, rapping on the Dean’s window. He remains inscrutable, but told us a little of the jewel, which he called the Stargem of Mopilar. It was a gift from the dragons to the giants, which has connections with certain elements of draconic culture – specifically, dragonmarks. I have indeed manifested a House Cannith dragonmark, and I think that it will remain so long as I continue to bear the Stargem. It is one of a matched set of three; we have theorized that Khyber and Eberron are tied to the other two. Each had its purpose; this one’s real purpose is to help interpret portions of the Prophecy. I wonder how it can help us interpret the fragment that we have.

I also identified the rest of our treasure using a bag of pearls that the Dean gave us. Fel’s new blade, which is named “True Death,” is baneful to the undead. Maeve’s mace is enchanted to the second tier. The serpent staff has three powers, each of which requires one charge – it can turn into a cobra, create a ball of lightning that grows stronger as I spin the staff, and emit a thunderclap that will strike fear into our enemies. As I have no connection to Necromancy, I have never before had a capacity for fear-based magic, and I am not entirely certain that I will be able to use this one. The second of these is by far the most interesting to me. My bracers are enchanted to the second tier of strength. We have a wide variety of gems and other minor treasures to sell, which should provide us with the money we need to further enchant our gear.

Finally, the Dean was surprised to hear that there were so many changelings in the group that he sent, to say nothing of the doppelganger. I wonder if something more sinister than mere murder was afoot there. And only one question: What comes next?

Shieldhaven

Explorer
Naturally, it didn’t take all that long for the Dean to answer the question of What Comes Next. He sent us to talk to Associate Professor Bran on the third floor of the Dorthenon building – History department. Turns out that Bran was ejected from Darguun for “inspecting” structures the locals regarded as holy. He further discovered indications of similar structures in Droaam, all relating to the end of the Dhakaani Empire. There was evidence of contact between the goblins and the dragons in those ruins, a dagger with a dragonscale set in its crossguard. He claims that he had official permission to be in Darguun, so he was ejected while the rest of his team was animated as undead and set to guard the same ruins he had been studying. I find this to be abhorrent beyond words – to say nothing of Bran’s mostly-blithe recounting of these grim details. He’s much more concerned with the delay to his studies than the loss of his entire team, which I find inexcusable considering how much I and my companions have suffered for one another.

They discovered also directions to a lair, possibly a dragon’s lair, in the Byeshk Mountains. This is where it really gets tricky for us. The lair was last known (with certainty) to be inhabited around 10 millenia ago. But it’s the Byeshk Mountains that have everything to do with the prophecies surrounding the handaxe that started us off and sent us scrambling around Sharn. I need to review my notes and get a clearer head about what we’re doing. The Dean has returned the axe to me, and I am carrying it inside an enchanted glove.

Gerron has been sent alone to the Shadow Marches, carrying a message on the Dean’s behalf to House Tharashk. Since this leaves us a man down, he has also assigned a new warrior to join us, a warforged who fights with a spiked chain & whose name I can’t seem to recall. He’s (I take him to be an essentially male personality) painfully literal and entirely lacking a sense of irony or sarcasm that so defines my style of conversation. He doesn’t seem to be one of the ones who tries to “fit in” with the humans or be like us all that much. He can do what he likes, but I’m still trying to find a common ground on which to relate to him. Also, he’s in many ways an outsider – he hasn’t had months in which to build up a nice healthy resentment of the Dean the way the rest of us have. Nothing to do for it, though.

The Dean supplied us with two wands, the like of which I’ve not seen before. One casts arcane bolts twice a day, but otherwise never runs out of charges; the other does the same for Maeve’s basic healing spell. It was, I would say, an unexpected help.

I have also mastered four additional spells – Mnemonic Enhancer and Thousandfold Step by my own studies, and Diver’s Breath and Unweave Psionics from scrolls I purchased. I enchanted the warforged’s spiked chain and Fel’s offhand blade, and scribed a few more spells as well. It drained me, but not terribly. I had planned on doing more, but Gerron’s departure changed things. I hope that the warforged is half the tactican that Gerron is.

We are preparing for departure; Maeve is terribly interested in painting the bottom of the flying boat the color of the sky, ignoring the fact that the sky’s color is entirely unreliable. Fel has developed more of a command over the air elemental in the boat and objected strongly.

What will we face when we reach the lair? What has all of this got to do with the handaxe? Are we fulfilling prophecy, and if so, how disastrous will this really be? Does any of this relate to the prophecy from the druids’ observatory in the Eldeen Reaches? Will Maeve sober up in time for our departure… or arrival?

Shieldhaven

Explorer
Well. This was not how I’d hoped things would go. We found a clearing that was at least reasonably close to the place we believed to be our destination and took the ship down. We met a local guide there, a shifter woman. She’s the first shifter I’ve ever been around for any length of time, and I find her to be just as arrogant in her knowledge of the wilds as we are in our knowledge of the city. I’m sure we’ll get along famously. She didn’t know where we were going, we didn’t know where we were going - aside from some confusing directions, anyway – it was a perfect match. I don’t know how long we’ll be in-country, but I’m glad to have some more muscle along.

After maybe an hour of argument, we decide that we can best protect the boat by leaving it higher up in the air than anyone can go without the assistance of magic. It would prove relatively easy to reach for anyone with a spell of levitation or Wind Dancing (which is what I used to get Fel up there in the first place), but there was nothing more to be done. In the future, I’ll have to keep track of the components Maeve needs for her spells and provide her with them, and possibly learn some abjurations of my own for these (admittedly rare) occasions. As long as I’m wishing, it’d be great to have a dozen other spells copied into my spellbook also.

With Jill’s help, we eventually hashed out the idea of going in one particular direction, and set off. After some time of walking, we came to a sunny field of boulders. It would have been quite appealing if it hadn’t been inhabited by basilisks. The boulders, as we were to learn, were actually victims. We were preparing to retreat and find another way to go, but we had wandered so close to the wretched beasts that they noticed us and… I don’t know, took offense, or something. Matters degenerated from there.

Fel was turned to stone. Page and Jill engaged the basilisks, and though I’d be hard-pressed to call that “wise,” it was at least successful in stopping their advance. Maeve very cleverly raised a cloud of mist around the five of us, delaying and allowing us to maneuver a bit. I had, fortunately, prepared many attack spells on this day. Believing that their petrifying gaze had a relatively short range, I moved toward one edge of the field and opened up with everything I had – lightning, arcane bolts, and Scorching Rays. They are tough, nonetheless, and it took much of my power to drop the one that had been attacking Page. Jill left the protection of the mist, averting her gaze, and killed the other basilisk with a single devastating strike.

But Fel was still stone. And while it’s possible that we could have continued on without him, we’ll never know, because we’ve returned to the boat. I’ll attempt to bring the boat down, we’ll load Fel in, and we’ll try to force the air elemental to take us back to someplace where we could find a very powerful wizard or priest.

At least those particular basilisks are dead. I don’t think there are any more in that field. But I had had no idea they were a danger in this area. It certainly made me feel small and helpless to have no spells that might help my companions resist petrification. From what I understand, though, no amount of resistance really makes one immune.

First Gerron, now Fel. Are we always going to be in over our heads so badly?

Will we be able to find anyone to turn him back to flesh? Will we then be able to make more progress without suffering such immediate failure? How badly am I going to be in debt once I’ve paid for this?

Shieldhaven

Explorer
So, poorer by over a thousand gold, we return to our previous position, in the very same clearing. The main difference this time, aside from my lighter purse, is that the shifter is already in the boat. We’ve got a few new tricks up our sleeve now, in case there are more basilisks or other petrifying beasts.

This was the f irst time I’d had to take control of the air elemental in the boat. Not easy – Fel handles it with much greater skill, and thus less balking by the air elemental, than I do. Nevertheless I got the boat to the ground, where Page and Jill loaded our statuary in by main force. Let this be a reminder that I need to scribe Tauric Might into my spellbook someday. I mean, really, what kind of transmuter am I without this most classic of spells? I suspect that it would be a great help to both Page and Jill.

We reached Graywall without incident, as much by luck as anything else – at least we knew enough to distinguish it from the Great Crag. I took the boat down about a half-mile from the city, hoping that would be far enough to avoid notice. I certainly don’t feel up to fighting the hordes of Droaam just now – maybe they’ll wait until we’re done with our current mission. Maeve, Page, and I walked to the city, approaching from the east. It is said in Breland that Graywall is divided into a human half, in the east, and a monstrous half in the west, and that we would find no welcome on the wrong side of that line. The gate was guarded by a mixed force of humans and orcs, all bearing the insignia of House Deneith. I spoke at length with one of the humans and received directions and advice – he mentioned a wizard named Reynard du Sable, who dwells and works in a tower near the Arena. I think it takes remarkable chutzpah to name oneself “The Black Fox” and still expect people to trust you in any measure. He also recommended accomodations within the city.

On our way there, we had an even more surprising encounter. Maeve spotted a hand dipping into her purse – not, incidentally, the home of most of our coin – and turned to face the filcher. She found herself staring into Dark’s face – the same hobgoblin who helped us recover the axe back in Sharn. She didn’t take back the coin, but said, “You were offering to buy us a drink.” So we stepped into the nearest bar (that’s Maeve for you) and had a little chat. He seemed just as surprised to see us as we were to see him, which is remarkable. Page was baffled by these proceedings, but it didn’t seem like the best of all possible times to explain. So I found myself cutting a new deal with Dark – not the most reassuring of practices, but I think I’d rather have Fel back than worry about the basilisk skins that I promised him. In exchange, Dark agreed to say two words to Reynard du Sable on our behalf and get us bumped up in his appointment book. He further explained that Reynard tends to talk to guests as a member of the predominant race of that group; possibly he is a changeling, or just a really bored transmuter. We made plans to meet Dark back at the same bar the next morning, with our strikingly realistic artwork in tow. On our way back to the boat, we found a wheelbarrow for our use. I also told Page the story of our earlier encounter with Dark. I wonder what he thinks of this – I really don’t grasp his views of ethics, and his reactions are impossible for me to read.

Graywall is an interesting place, though I’ve no interest in sticking around a moment longer than we absolutely must. The city is built almost entirely of stone. Not, mind you, stone from a quarry, as such. As far as I can tell, Graywall was literally built out of petrified bodies. They are mortared together in a particularly cunning fashion, but one that is deeply disturbing to look upon. I’m accustomed to seeing goblins, hobgoblins, and bugbears roam freely in Sharn, kept out of only the more upscale establishments. It unnerved me a bit to see the same applied to medusae, mind flayers, and other things in this city, not that I strayed far into the other half of the city.

The next morning, we met up with Dark and he led us to Reynard’s tower – Jill stayed behind to guard the boat. Reynard’s servant brought us tea as we waited, and I had a little time to look around. He eventually made his entrance, with a creature Maeve called an “alchemical golem” in tow. It was as much like a walking sack of nonspecific alchemy as a creature could possibly be. Reynard appeared to be human. We negotiated for the spell he would use to fix Fel. He offered both a transmutation of Stone to Flesh and a possibly chancier but less expensive Unweave Enchantment. I opted for the former, reasoning that it would be better to pay more money and not risk having to pay a second time. Fel was returned to us for about the price I had expected. Reynard also offered to sell us fingers on leather thongs, which are exactly as disturbing to look at as my description makes them sound. He explained that the fingers would suffer the effect of any one petrification that was used against the wearer. The finger could then be returned to flesh and reused. I think it says something about what I’ve seen and done in the past months that I merely balked at this, without refusing outright. Maeve was the only one of us to flatly refuse. Fel and I paid some of the cost in expended magic items, which are apparently of some use to him – I need to look into the idea – and I paid cash for the rest of the price. I have to admit that two hundred gold per finger seems like too good of a deal to be real, but I find myself inclined to trust Reynard… there’s clearly something wrong with me.

Fel was surprised to awaken in an unfamiliar setting, but we explained as much as we could on the way back to the boat. He took the helm again and we returned to the clearing that I mentioned earlier. So here we are, a few days later and much poorer.

Dark’s appearance here is too much of a coincidence for me to believe. Is he following us? Yet his surprise seemed genuine – unless he was just surprised to get caught, and has been following us some time now. How could I unearth more information on him without being painfully obvious? Will the fingers that Reynard sent us actually protect us? Will the basilisk corpses still be there, or have I signed us up to go basilisk hunting?

-------------------

I've now reposted all previous entries. There will be a new one sometime around Thursday of next week. I am told that Jill's player is dropping out of the campaign for bellydancing lessons; this makes me sad, because Jill seemed like a cool character (and the player is fun to have around as well). I hope that yet another new player may join us, but this remains to be seen.

As a teaser for the next entry, I'll just say three words: flying ice baboons. Oh, the mayhem.

Haven

Shieldhaven

Explorer
Another victory like this one, and all is lost.

We took the ship back to where we had first set down and left it in the air, as before. Hiking through the countryside, we came to a pass between two boulders. Fel scouted ahead and spotted two winged white baboon-like creatures chasing a feathered humanoid, with hands at the ends of his wings. Uncertain of who was an enemy and who was an ally, I decided to shut the fight down, dropping a Shockwave on the three of them. The apparent victim, the humanoid, was knocked unconscious, but the two winged baboons (I should track down a proper name for them) suddenly acquired new targets. Their bellows paralyzed some of us with fear, but I soon learned that these creatures have a remarkable weakness against fire – my Scorching Rays were devastating, and I would have done better to split the rays between the two of them. Ah well.

We awakened the humanoid, who explained that he was an aarakocra named Cho-ah of Tigetijara. After lengthy discussion, we learned that his people are under attack from the winged baboons that come from the Storm Castle, a fortress that floats in the clouds. The giant that controls it has apparently turned to evil; he and his minions have wiped out three aarakocra nests so far. A shaman named Karaka told Cho-ah that he could find help in the outside world – us, apparently. I feel a bit better knowing that we’re facing an enemy I can do something about, but now I even more bitterly miss the fire spells I haven’t had a chance to scribe into my grimoire.

In any case, Cho-ah returned with us to the boat and guided us to his village, little more than large and barely-covered nests on a cliff face. Fortunately none of us particularly suffer from acrophobia – though with the boat that would have been a problem long before now. We spoke with Karaka, who repeated most of what Cho-ah had told us. Maeve was fascinated to note that the aarakocra worship the Sky Goddess Wai, taking this name to be remarkably close to Arwis and Arawai. The village’s temple is by far its most remarkable structure, a massive stone edifice with hundreds of holes worked into its walls that allow air to flow freely. Fel spoke constantly of filching the gem that hung from the ceiling of the temple, but the aarakocra didn’t notice until he had to wipe his chin.

Our conversation was soon interrupted by the appearance of the Storm Castle, maybe a hundred feet from the cliff’s edge. Sixty more winged baboons attacked the village in several flights, and we faced off against the eight or ten that approached the temple. The giant too made an appearance, casting a druidic spell to summon lightning against the aarakocra. I had few fire spells prepared, however, and found it difficult to get close enough to them to cast that spell. I increased Jill’s and Page’s stature, and they were devastating colossi against which our enemies hurled themselves. The winged baboons have some sort of connection to the plane of Risia, and hurled javelins of ice back at us. Page was held fast, and several of us were badly injured by the cold. Arcane bolts and lightning of my own finished off a few more of them. The giant called back his surviving minions and withdrew.

Though we were victorious in our tiny theater of the battle, the rest of the settlement suffered terribly. Over a hundred aarakocra were slain, leaving barely a score of them. They were entirely unprepared for the attack, and it is a grim consolation to realize that the few who remain owe their lives to us.

I am torn – well, not torn so much as scared. I want to help these aarakocra, who seem to be a gentle people faced by a clearly superior foe. But I worry all the same, for the Storm Castle is almost certainly the very dragon’s lair that we seek and its tenants seem exceptionally dangerous. It has been my habit to fear that our resources are insufficient, but in this case it is clear that I need to diversify the types of energy damage I can deal – electricity and force damage are the only sorts that seem sufficiently represented.

Actually, things seem pretty clear-cut at the moment, so the only question right now is – are we or are we not strong enough to face these foes? And one other – will the boat be sufficient to get us to the castle to begin an assault?

-----------------------

Is the Witch's theme from Wizard of Oz playing in your head yet? Because it sure was in ours. The GM sure is a weird guy sometimes. Nemo, if you're reading this, I mean that in the nicest way possible.

Shieldhaven

Explorer
The plan, I am relieved to say, has changed. The morning after the battle, Karaka ate some seeds and reported this vision to us: as he was flying, burning snow fell from the sky. There was a creature of blackness overhead that shut out all light. The wind pierced his wings and he fell. He was caught by talons. He saw a bright tower of ice thrust up from a frozen lake. Then the eagle released him and his wings worked again. The eagle flew into the tower. The lake cracked, and a silver fish flew out of the lake, banishing the darkness. As light returned, so did hope, and the vision passed.

Maeve mentioned that a lone tower frequently represents Aureon. Karaka told us also of a flock of giant eagles that dwell nearby, and suggested that we go to them to seek aid or direction. In the meantime, the aarakocra of Tigetijara will move to the village of Xixikoaca; if we are victorious over their enemies, we will light signal fires at Tigetijara so they will know to return home. Maybe this way there will still be some aarakocra left to save by the time we’re done.

Storms were brewing as we sailed out to where the giant eagles nested. I saw – felt – recognized, anyway – in this storm the signs of Kythri, the Churning Chaos. I am not certain, but it would certainly stand to reason that it was connected in some fashion to the Storm Castle. A quasi-elemental of lightning attacked us as we sailed near the stormcloud. I saw ball lightning swarming around it, and mistook it at first for lesser elementals of the same kind. Unsure of how to proceed, I cast a Scorching Ray, which proved to have been wasted as Maeve dismissed it back to Kythri with a single spell. The battle abruptly concluded, we sailed onward.

It turns out that giant eagles are telepathic. Who knew? It’s a good thing, too, because none of us could possibly speak with animals by magic. I don’t believe that the eagle that “spoke” to us gave me a name for itself. It was, suffice to say, magnificent to behold. I read my transcription of Karaka’s dream. It knew of the Tower of Ice, built by a mage who lived there long ago. It is now empty, in the mountains called the Peaks of Light that are only a few days of sailing from the eagles’ eyrie.

As we approached, we saw a glow coming from the saddle between two peaks. The Tower of Ice is appropriately named, a huge spike of ice jutting out of green mist. I have, as yet, no idea what the mist is or how we will enter the Tower. The mist suggests to me the devastation of the Mournland, though I’ve never seen it for comparison. It also twists the visual imagery of Karaka’s dream in a confusing way. But then, there’s a lot that I don’t understand about divine insight and mysticism, though I’m passably comfortable with accepting that rigid arcane logic patterns ought not be applied to such matters. We have spent no small amount of time wondering if the five of us, in our skyboat, are the eagle in the vision. This would make sense, except that the eagle was also literal, guiding us to the tower. Unless it is concealed by the green mist, the lake of ice is not literal, but it certainly makes sense as a symbol of imprisonment. The tower can reasonably be both a symbol of Aureon – knowledge and magic – and place to which we must go to find those things.

Or maybe we’re way off. Who knows?

How will we get inside the Tower of Ice, and what will we find there? What do all these symbols represent? How will any of this lead us to a victory over the Storm Castle and its inhabitants?

-----------------------------

So it turns out that Jill isn't leaving the party. This makes me happy. But I might be. This makes me sad. But I might be leaving to get a really good job. This makes me happy. But this job is far away from most-but-not-all of my friends. This makes me sad. So I'm not sure what my emotional state should be.

In more game-related foo, Maeve did indeed solve the encounter with the lightning elemental in a single spell. I'm not sure how badly the elemental had to roll to get banished, but it was cool - she doesn't personally throw down against the bad guys often. I'm don't know what stats the GM was using for the elemental, but he mentioned afterward that all of our nice metal weapons would have really made that fight suck for us.

Shieldhaven

Explorer
Interpreting Karaka’s dream has grown even more challenging with what we’ve learned in the past few hours, and I now fear that we are going far astray. We approached the tower of ice and saw that there was a small patch of snow-covered ground near its base, free from the sinister green fog. Fel went down first as the rest of us studied the tower from the boat. I determined that the powerful magic in its creation was almost certainly a summoning from Risia followed by magic to keep it frozen. Fel fought off some sort of creature, formed of the fog, that attacked him; possibly one of the living spells that I have heard about in the Mournland, but it didn’t last long enough for any sort of examination.

We had begun a lengthier examination, myself alone remaining in the boat, when a corridor opened in the fog. A gnome was there, apparently desperate to escape the area. He said that his name was Fritz, and he had accompanied a group of dwarves into the area so that he could report to the Korranberg Chronicle. His companions had all been slain by icy lizards and insects days earlier. We were suspicious of him, but he led us through the way he had cleared to a well-preserved ghost town. A fountain in the middle of town showed a time before the Tower and the land were frozen. “Devral” was inscribed on a plaque on the fountain. That is, or was, the name of a powerful and reclusive transmuter, back before the Last War. Much like Reynard, she was either a changeling or very much enjoyed changing her appearance. Fritz pointed out a door marked at the base of the miniature tower, where it would now be hidden by snow.

Back at the tower, Fritz got us to let him stay up in the boat while we examined the tower further. He wanted us to take him back to Korranberg, but we flatly refused until we were done with our work. Once we were all inside the tower, he stole everything edible out of the boat and ran off. I doubt he’ll last long, though some part of me still wonders if he lied to us in any particular regard.

The tower door was sealed in a manner I didn’t study long enough to understand. It was clear that it required some kind of small, round key; on a hunch or some sort of intuition, I pulled out one of my Siberys shards and found that the door opened to its touch. Inside, a floating orb welcomed us to the Citadel of Devral. Unseen servants took our cloaks and wine appeared in a pitcher made of the same ice-crystal as the rest of the place. We drank the wine and waited for an hour or so before assuming that Devral was truly not home and not coming to speak with us. Fel approached the icy staircase, only to discover that it was entirely illusory, and a platform under his feet was lifting him to the second floor.

On the second floor, there were lots of nondescript small chambers, their walls made out of ice just like everything else, even though it wasn’t the least bit cold inside). There was another orb, this one silver with a black spot. When Jill touched it, it pursued Page, then exploded in black energy. He was, fortunately, not hurt. We left its replacement, which appeared immediately, well enough alone.

Third floor. A glass gryphon stood in the center of the clear-walled room. The orb here was red and yellow; when we touched it, a doorway opened in the wall, letting cold air in from outside. I wonder what it would take to animate this gryphon.

Fourth floor. The library, where I now sit and write this entry. The orb here is red. When touched, it showed an image of the unoccupied first floor. The books in here are focused on the creation of new creatures. Bookworms had been hard at work here, and I mended one book with repeated castings.

“…demonic white-winged creatures led by a black creature able to possess others. In an attempt to mitigate the evil she could do, I have trapped her soul and given it to Argentalikus for safekeeping.” Then, later: “Dargent swims through the sky like a silver fish. Although I hate to lose her, I must leave my darling daughter sleeping in a white column under the dome of power.”

Fifth floor. A large white column stands in the middle of the floor, radiating cold, encircled by gold. The circle is strong abjuration and the pillar is strong conjuration.

What do we need to do? It seems clear, but for a doubt in my mind. What must be freed, and what must remain bound?

----------------------------

The session actually ended with Teagen breaking the circle of power, an icy creature appearing and addressing us in a language we don't speak, and attacking. I had to end the journal entry here, though, just because it doesn't make sense for me to have been writing as I started the fight...

I'm pretty worried that I've screwed up royally. I am, at this point, pretty much totally confused. I'm sure the GM has given us clues that none of us picked up on, or that we failed to go in the right directions to get the clues, but there you go. We have approximately !clue at the moment, and we might wind up killing the thing we're supposed to free. Feh.

It'd make me happy if some of you lurkers would de-lurk briefly. =)

Haven

Remove ads