[EBERRON]-Need help with Campaign- My Players Keep Out!

joeandsteve

First Post
My Players Keep Out

I have begun an Eberron campaign which is partly based around a broad conflict between the Inspired/Quori and the Yuan-Ti of Xendrik (posing as the nation of Sarlissa, a previously undiscovered human nation on the continent.) The Yuan-ti ultimately want to permanently banish the Quori back to Dal Quor, using Khorvaire as a stepping stone to Sarlona. Both sides will be fighting covertly, using other factions (including the PCs :) ) to battle each other by proxy. The problem is that I am unsure about how each faction should align itself. The kalashtar and the Lizardfolk of Q'barra will be against Riedra, but other than that I need suggestions. If anyone has any suggestions on what to do about the Inspired in Xendrik, that would be appreciated as well.

Last edited:

Remathilis

Legend
I see it pretty much a free-for-all, depending on your viewpoint.

You see, Riedia is not considered a threat by-and-large. They are exotic, mysterious, and slightly distrusted by most, but few know of the Quori/Dreams connection. The Kalashtar do, as do those aligned with them, but that's it.

That said, the Yuan-Ti are pretty much despised (save that weird coutal version in the Khorvaire) as throughly evil and depraved. Any actions by them would grab the attention of most of the "goodly" factions who want to wrong rights.

So Immediately, factions like the Silver Flame, Q'Barra, Valenar, and others to a lesser extent would oppose the Yuan-Ti (and thus unknowingly aid the Inspired). The Kalashtar might aid the Yuan-ti if they knew their plot, but it would be a strange bedfellow at least. Other "neutral" parties could be infiltrated (House Dennith has been infiltrated by Inspired according to Sharn: CoT) and brought into the fold. The Yuan-ti could have an ace up their sleeve though; they currently reside in Xen'drik, home of the Giants who banished the Quori once and have a loose (very loose) connection to the Dragons of Argonnessen. Either of them could provide tremendous aid to the snake-men.

Probably the best way to work this (and the most Eberronian way) is to make it seem the Yuan-Ti are invading from Xen'drik. Have the "good-guys" (PCs included) oppose them for a while, until the PCs find out the truth of the matter (they are being used by the Inspired) and then perhaps have to re-think which side they are on. If they stay with the first group, rogue groups like the Kalashtar might strike out at the PCs, if they align with the Yuan-Ti, the the Silver Flame might become their foe.

Good luck with this plot.

joeandsteve

First Post
Thanks for the suggestions so far, guys. The Yuan-ti's incursion into Khorvaire is largely covert, sending purebloods disguised as human envoys of the fictitious Xendrik nation. Neither sides will be considered a threat initially, unless either of their true natures are revealed. The plan so far is to convert the humans of Khorvaire to tainted ones, and cultivate agents that way or perhaps through Dragon Below followers. The Inspired, of course will figure this out and try to respond, but neither side will want to risk compromising themselves until it is absolutely necessary.

Remathilis points out, "The Kalashtar might aid the Yuan-ti if they knew their plot, but it would be a strange bedfellow at least." I think this is classic Eberron, and to be encouraged! It does seem to make sense that the early parts of the campaign would be about the party discovering the true nature of the Sarlissans, and acting to stop and/or expose them. At the conclusion of this phase of the campaign, you reveal the reasons behind the yuan-ti's actions, and the greater threat that is the Inspired.

Phase II would be more about combating the Inspired, possibly through an alliance with yuan-ti. The Kalashtar could oppose both groups, given yuan-ti's psionic connection (IIRC).

Why are the yuan-ti actively opposing the Inspired? I mean, I know the Inspired are bad dudes, but are they bothering the yuan-ti in Xen'Drik? What are the Inspired doing to provoke such a complicated and audacious action by the snakies?

Wrathamon

Adventurer
Why would the lizard-folk be enemies?

Just curious your reasoning...

Q'barra is a good place for what you are discussing.... set the game in New Throne.

The Yuan-Ti and the Dreaming Dark are playing a game of Chess in New Galifar to see who will control the region and the dragonshards... Tharaskh has noticed that their prospects have recently gone under attack by the local lizard-folk tribes and they are aware of the Reidren presence in New Thrown and Adderport has increased.

A good hook is the player's work for House T or are members (or a mix of both), or make House T a Third player in the game and make the players townsfolk that uncover the cloak and dagger war going on.

I was working on this as a back plot to a campaign conversion of some 3rd party adventures for D&D.

I had used some of the Freeport series from Green Ronin (snake people) to enchance the Witchfire trilogy from Privateer, which was the main plot. This was heavily modified.

The Ruler of Galifar by the 2nd act has invited the Reidrans to help protect the city - a major disaster almost destroyed the city in the first act. This will start bringing the questions up about the Reidrans and their intent.

Let me know if this is something you are thinking of doing and I can tell you more about it.

joeandsteve

First Post
Wrathamon said:
Why would the lizard-folk be enemies?

The lizardfolk are in high tensions with New Galifar, and the Riedrans are generally aligned with them, so I figured there would be no love lost for them.

LordMelquiades said:
Why are the yuan-ti actively opposing the Inspired? I mean, I know the Inspired are bad dudes, but are they bothering the yuan-ti in Xen'Drik? What are the Inspired doing to provoke such a complicated and audacious action by the snakies?

The Yuan-Ti started out on Sarlona, till the Inspired kicked them out, then the went from Sarlona to Argonessen to Xendrik, and got pretty pissed in the process. I was intending for a greater power to spur them into action. An Anathema trapped in the Khyber by the Quori calling to be released to seek vengeance perhaps? :] Or maybe as part of the Dragon Prophecy. There is a meteor shower scheduled fairly soon in the world that is rumored to be part of the prophecy.

Wrathamon said:
Q'barra is a good place for what you are discussing.... set the game in New Throne.

The Yuan-Ti and the Dreaming Dark are playing a game of Chess in New Galifar to see who will control the region and the dragonshards... Tharaskh has noticed that their prospects have recently gone under attack by the local lizard-folk tribes and they are aware of the Reidren presence in New Thrown and Adderport has increased.

A good hook is the player's work for House T or are members (or a mix of both), or make House T a Third player in the game and make the players townsfolk that uncover the cloak and dagger war going on. .

The campaign has already started in Aundair, and the scope is going to be pretty large, say all of Khorvaire, so it will be a little larger than just Q'barra. That being said, New Galifar is definitely in the mix, and I can always get the PCs hired by House T to help out in that region, so great point.

Wrathamon said:
I was working on this as a back plot to a campaign conversion of some 3rd party adventures for D&D.

I had used some of the Freeport series from Green Ronin (snake people) to enchance the Witchfire trilogy from Privateer, which was the main plot. This was heavily modified.

The Ruler of Galifar by the 2nd act has invited the Reidrans to help protect the city - a major disaster almost destroyed the city in the first act. This will start bringing the questions up about the Reidrans and their intent.

Let me know if this is something you are thinking of doing and I can tell you more about it.

Havent read any of Witchfire books, but from what you are saying it seems a lot like what I'm going for. Do you have a basic synopsis, and also how you would modify it to fit into Eberron?

Remove ads