• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Eberron Novel: The City of Towers?

Ishamael

First Post
Anybody read this yet? What do you think?
The subtitle, relating to the Dreaming Dark implies that it's got some psionics in it. To what degree is this true?

Mad Mac

First Post
Got it, read it, liked it, started a thread that went nowhere because no one else had read it yet...

It's a good book, imo. I'd definately reccomend it. Not only is it an entertaining read, but I found it really useful for getting deeper into what Eberron is all about, and Sharn in paticular. It comes with a Huge index and glossary in back.

As for Psionics...without giving away any spoilers...erk...

Yes, there is psionics involved. And a lot of Artificer/Dragonmark magic. Traditional D&D arcane and divine magic doesn't play a prominent role, in fact.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Started reading it Friday night, about half way into it, which has surprised me as I have not put too much time into reading, so far not bad.

Mad Mac

First Post
Yeah, it's definately a fun read. It's a nice change of pace reading about a protaganist whose life story is not driven by his incredible talents of arse-kickery,(Drizzit) or world-melting magical power (Elminster), or some such variation.

Mild Spoiler....(How do you do the hidden text thing?)
-
-
-
-

Instead, Daine comes across to me a little more like Indiana Jones with a bit of Tanis Half-Elven (The leadership Bit) thrown in. He's good, but never quite good enough, and fate seems determined to give him the shaft at every oppourtunity.

I also really like how Pierce serves mostly as the groups designated killing machine. It's a fun change of pace to see the main character step aside and let "the quiet one" clean house.

Last edited:

Kesh

First Post
Hidden text is by using [ spoiler ] and [ /spoiler ] tags, without the extra space in them.

I just picked up the novel this weekend, and read a chapter on the bus home today. Will hopefully have it finished soon!

ragboy

Explorer
I'm enjoying it. I read it up to a certain point and lost interest for a week or so, but that could have been other factors besides the actual book. I wonder, as I got to this part last night, why Keith chose to

use a 'male' medusa instead of a maedar...or whatever they were called in previous editions. It sort of broke me out of the text wondering that, and I probably didn't get the significance of the scene. I guess the maedar haven't been converted to third edition, but that seemed like a great opportunity to incorporate that bit of legend/lore with an Eberron spin.

But related to that... anytime they encounter a 'sage' type character, they come away with nothing. I guess these are meant to be 'introductions' of sorts for the various players, but it seems that it could be handled better than that.

Overall, I like the characters. As was mentioned earlier, they are heroes, but not super-heroes. I tend to enjoy books where the protaganists are continually kicked in the teeth until they are forced to deal with the conflict, and this certainly fits the bill. I think, though, that there's a lot of 'wandering around' that could have been handled better. I expected, with the emphasis on pulp that the Eberron setting purports, that there would be a bit more continuous action and less introspection. They seem to be asking the same questions over and over without even incremental answers. I guess I'll know more tonight.

As far as painting a vivid picture of Eberron, he's definitely done that. There are campaign ideas a-plenty in practically every scene.

I especially liked Daine's interaction with the street hobgoblins. A lot of culture/history crammed effectively into that one little scene

The individual characters:

Daine: Seems less a leader than he probably should be. I don't know all of his backstory yet, but the tortured leader persona isn't really keeping me interested. He's still sort of buffeted around by forces beyond his control, and doesn't seem ready to change that. I guess his character develops further throughout the series. I hope so, anyway.

Lei: Don't have a bead on her as yet. She's just shown the 'fire' in her personality, though,
by punching her cousin in the face
. And we got just a little bit more information on her plight in the subsequent scene.

Pierce: I like his character concept and there's some bubbling of change there. I'm anxious to see how he develops.

Jode: Other than the name (jod - long O, or jode - long O long E?), I don't much care for this character. His background seems to be the only thing that we're made to care about. He's a toned down Tasselhoff and that makes me unhappy. His encounter with the
halfling thief had me wishing that we'd got the thief character instead.

And for my prediction, since I haven't finished yet:
The Cyrean senator? diplomat? Whoever it was that had them to dinner before the weird dudes attacked them... He's the bad guy.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Finished and pleased with it, some minor issues with character interaction but not bad.

I don't think this is spoiler stuff but [sblock]Daine needs to learn how to hold on to a sword[/sblock]

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I bought it, read it, enjoyed it. And in the Eberron campaign setting book, there's mention of one or two male medusae. Apparently maedar don't exist in Eberron, and I'm alright with that.

And I do like how the combat powerhouse isn't the main character. It works for the setting and for the book, which put a higher emphasis on intrigue and mystery than the combat.

There is one tiny little continuity error that drives me up the wall. The goblin thief is described as green on the lift, but Jode refers to her as being orange. Which is it!? Not that big a deal, though.

Demiurge out.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads