D&D 5E Eberron versus Multiverse

Wow, is that official canons, so in Eberron not only the gods may or may not be real, but also their top creation myth is just that? And the dragonshards what are they in this case?

It's entirely possible the dragonshards are just rocks and the creation story is a metaphor/myth.

ChaosOS

Legend
Dragonshards are still magic, but yeah basically anything older than 100k years is strictly mythology. Every single racial origin is a subject of mythos, for example.

I would generally say the creation myth probably gets some things right, as canonically it's shared amongst basically every culture, but as a DM there's plenty of room to say "But wait, there's more that was forgotten/never known!" Without breaking canon.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Wow, is that official canons, so in Eberron not only the gods may or may not be real, but also their top creation myth is just that? And the dragonshards what are they in this case?

Pretty much, but it's still extremely important because it sets the stage for The Prophecy, The Age of Demons, why demons(all fiends) are so extremely different in eberron, so on & so forth. The romans kept pretty good records & we know a lot about that time period for much of the world because of that. The Giants of Xendriik & Dhakaani empire would both have kept records at least as good if not better than the romans so anything from that far back on in the timeline has at least some written records supporting it but things are complicated by the fact that the roman empire simply crumbled & moved on while giant empire/Dakaani empire were destroyed or crumbled by war. The Cul'sir/Su'lat giant empire of Xendriik went through a thousand years of war where they were being invaded by the Quori before they may as well have been destroyed by the Vorlons when the Dragons toppled their empire & cursed the continent itself to make sure nobody tried it again. The dhakaani Empire went through 2000 years of war with the Daelkyr invasion & when the Gatekeepers imprisoned the Daelkyr it kept crumbling until humans came along & said "nice place, we will give you muut/atcha(honor/purpose)". In both cases all that war did bad things to records. With spellshards rather than paper/vellum as an information storage medium, you don't need conditions to be as pristine for documents to survive that many years so much as need to be lucky enough to find them.

Also a lot of races used to have much longer lifespans & in the case of Eberron they still may have longer lifespans. That says nothing about races like (half)orc/goblin/kobold that are listed with shortened lifespans due to their lifestyle in a FR type setting.

The Dragon's own records from the age of dragons/age of demons may or may not exist (they were losing that war badly too), & the Dragons themselves almost certainly have some records that survived from both & likely even more from the age of giants(giant empire of xendriik)/age of monsters (dhakaani), but it's not like they are making any efforts to or showing interest in filling gaps on the shelves of groups like the library of Korranberg, Arcanix, wayfinder society, etc. Those Draconic records are either lost till found or may as well be destroyed to most people who aren't dragons.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
There's no evidence those dragons are "real" in the sense that Malystryx and co were.
Even if they aren’t, the dragons of ancient times were powerful enough that many scholars believe they inspired the idea of the Sovereign Host.
A natural resource in a magical world.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
And the dragonshards what are they in this case?

A natural resource in a magical world.

expanding on that note, also the objects of eberron's coal/oil rush. Khyber shards are used in binding & building elemental craft like airships (although soarwood is probably the bigger bottleneck there).Eberron shards power magic items allowing them to be more commonly available to the point where common magic items are a normal thing compared to other settings. Siberyis shards are used to power dragonmark focus items, some of those are just normal magic items sure... but others are on eldritch machine & likely factory equipment type scales such as weather management storm spires.

Discovering new sources of them can also have gold-rush type boom effects but there are also planar shards, planar infused wood/rock/etc used in casting of spells & creating semimagic items as well , but those kinds of things are going to lead to things like logging towns/quarries/mining towns, etc & rare lucky finds unless large quantities of them were to turn up somewhere unexpected like finding a previously unknown or new* manifest zone :D

* oh god why is there a new manifest zone? They are tracked like seasons & well known. Finding one that was not simply temporary or deliberately created would be like discovering an active volcano spewing lava in some formerly flat mountain free plain & the cause could be a cause for concern. Once the cause was known & determined to not be an imminent threat it would just be a useful thing.

ParanoydStyle

Peace Among Worlds
I know very little about both settings, actually, for a person that's been playing D&D like forever. But my personal view on the Multiverse is--I imagine!--in line with that of the D&D creative team, which is that every D&D setting (and in my personal headcanon, plenty of planes of existence or dimensions that AREN'T D&D settings) is connected. I'm not sure why your dislike of FR's religions is so intense that you need to ensure that the dimension of Eberron is SEVERED from the dimension of Faerun, like, I feel like for 999/1000 campaigns, simply NOT having the PCs planeswalk to the setting you don't like/don't want to use is more than enough.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I know very little about both settings, actually, for a person that's been playing D&D like forever. But my personal view on the Multiverse is--I imagine!--in line with that of the D&D creative team, which is that every D&D setting (and in my personal headcanon, plenty of planes of existence or dimensions that AREN'T D&D settings) is connected. I'm not sure why your dislike of FR's religions is so intense that you need to ensure that the dimension of Eberron is SEVERED from the dimension of Faerun, like, I feel like for 999/1000 campaigns, simply NOT having the PCs planeswalk to the setting you don't like/don't want to use is more than enough.
Think of of it like star wars & star trek. No amount of handwavium can fit luke skywalker onboard the enterprise, discovery, or defiant without causing massive problems to either what luke skywalker his lightsaber/jedi powers/struggles or destroying the setting those ships exist in to import luke & his baggage. By extension no matter how much you are willing to look the oher way, the IKS Bortas & crew will never fit in under vader/palpatine/Snoke/etc without violence either to that ship & its crew or the fabric of the Star Wars' reality itself.

Part of the reason eberron fans are quick to bristle at the idea is likely due to a few reasons & you've seen some of that in this thread. Some settings (ie FR) tend to break down to killing gods & other megapowerful individuals after growing ultra powerful yourself while eberron is more of a complex system balanced on a knife's edge with few clear paths of right & wrong where that sort of direct detect evil>smite evil can easily result in the hero breaking things monumentally. Villians are organizations & sometimes beings with hard to grasp goals or trivial to understand yet seemingly impossible to realize with just a murder. You wind up with people comparing CR9000+ eleminster's statblock to the more nebulous ones of things in eberron that are expected to grow with the PCs & if you need their statblock things are already going horribly wrong.

Some of the other problems that cause the bristling are the fact that the first of ten (now better worded seven) things you need to know in 3.5/4e eberron books was "1. If it exists in d&d,. then it has a place in Eberron" which would result in people not bothering to finish reading point one or even glancing at points two through ten. Now that's moved to point seven & includes some of the other "missing" points as "D&D with a Twist. Every race, monster, spell, and magic item in the Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, and Monster Manual has a place somewhere in Eberron, but it might not be the place you expect. " which is much better phrasing that doesn't simply open the door to wholesale import of another setting & all of its conflicting lore on top of eberron like a motor oil glazed sugar cookie(bad for you, bad for your engine).

Also in 4e there was lots of pretty problematic stuff from other settings complete with supporting lore actually published in eberron sourcebooks in ways that conflicted with the setting itself so you get people quick to protest if it even looks like it might cause a smell similar to that kind of thing.

Last edited:

Remove ads