• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Eberron - Why no regional feats?

Its complicated enough and I would rather avoid having to tell players 'no' because-

"My Dwarf grew up in Sarlona so he gets to use the regional feat of bonus PP and since he is still a dwarf he gains underground tracking."

rrrrrrrghhhhhhh.

EyeontheMountain

First Post
I'm glad not to see Regional Feats in Ebberon, and I hope no future products. They are a serious power-mismatch problem in FR. A few gem feats of unquestionable power make the game unbalanced and limit character choice too much. Ebberon does it much better, where you can be more unique within each area.

Digital Archon

First Post
LoneWolf23 said:
I don't get the original poster's question.. The ECS' "Region of Origin" section in the Character Races chapter includes a list of appropriate Feats for each region, along with preferred Classes, Skills and Prestige Classes for folks from those regions. And it includes a good selection of each, so that no two Brelander characters need be the same...
Except the only 'regional feat"-like choice for Breland is Favored in House. :p

Glyfair

Explorer
Crothian said:
He wanted feats that are unique to a region or two instead of feats anyone can take but these people just might have it more often.

Count me as being against regional feats in Eberron, largely because I don't believe in large numbers of feats (there are exception in specific instances) that are unique to a region. Representative of a region, perhaps, but not unique.

Plus, it adds another level of complexity with very little payoff.

Last edited:

Jeff Wilder

First Post
There are a few feats scattered around that are limited by region of origin, I'm pretty sure, but in the main I think the answer to the question is (1) there's enough flavor already suggested in Eberron, and (2) regional feats take up a lot of space for being of such limited utility. (By which I mean any other feat, you might consider it at first, third, sixth level, and so on, or even more often if you get bonus feats, but regional feats can only be considered and chosen at one point in a PC's career.)

I'm personally not a big fan of regional feats to the extent that they're more powerful than average feats. I'm all in favor of suggested of feats by region (and Eberron does this), and I don't think encouraging choosing "appropriate" feats is a good reason to deliberately make a more powerful feat.

Deadguy

First Post
I am okay with the idea of there not being Regional Feats in Eberron, whilst using them in Forgotten Realms. These two campaigns thus serve as two different models that DMs might follow for their own settings. Variety here is definitely valuable.

Aeric

Explorer
The feats in the Player's Guide seem aimed more at the races than the regions, which is ironic considering the statement that nationality means more than race/species. Just one more contradiction in the world of Eberron. *shrugs*

Anti-Sean

First Post
Count me as another vote against regional feats.

Aeric said:
The feats in the Player's Guide seem aimed more at the races than the regions, which is ironic considering the statement that nationality means more than race/species. Just one more contradiction in the world of Eberron. *shrugs*

The validity of much of the content of PGtE and Races of Eberron, the sources of the bulk of the racial feats discussed here, is the subject of hot debate among fans of the setting. The ECS contains some racial feats geared towards the new races presented within its pages, and that's it (although IIRC, there might be one Aereni feat present there). *shrugs*

Remove ads