D&D 5E EB's Curse of Strahd IC (Year One)

industrygothica

Adventurer
Halo takes the envelope gently from the corpse's fingers and breaks the seal. The pulls out the paper from within and reads it aloud to those present.

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
Irena shudders at the coincidence of the similar names. "Ireena..." she mutters absently.

She regains her composure. "Vampires! I've heard tales of such creatures, if they are here, we should simply leave. This road goes two ways."

OOC: Irena pronounces her name "ih-RAY-nah", FWIW, not "eye-REE-na"

tglassy

Adventurer
Josiah studies the note. He looks to his daughter, then back at the note. He’d dealt with night spawn before. In fact, he typically hunted them. But with Tilly...he couldn’t bring her into this. He needed to protect her from these creatures.

“Normally, I’d love to hunt something like this. But I have places to be. I say we get out of here as quickly as possible.”

Sent from my iPad using EN World

EarlyBird

Explorer
The group spends a couple minutes away from the body discussing the note. Through it they understand that this vampire must have been the conqueror of Barovia, but why would such a creature want the four of them to come here, and didn't Madam Eva the fortune teller say they're were items and people they would need to find before they confronted this Darklord.

While you weigh your options a wolf's howl breaks through the air. It sounds a good way off, but is soon answered by another howl, though this one is a lot closer than the first.

hero4hire

Explorer
While the others discussed the letter a deep but low growl rumbled from Digger. He took his large spade and with a single thrust downward he beheaded the corpse. He knealt over the corpse about to do something else when the distant howls caused him to shoot back up to his feet.

industrygothica

Adventurer
The howling interrupted any thought of concentration on plans for retreat. Were they really getting closer, or was that some trick of the mist sending the haunting sounds swirling through the ghostly air? Halo takes the battleaxe from her back, a sturdy thing with a thick handle and a smooth, glimmering blade that hadn't seen enough use. She tightens her grip on the leather bindings. "We best be moving," she says softly.

OOC: Can we tell which direction the sound is coming from? Specifically, from the town, or from the way we came?

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
"Okay, I'm not willing to leave the relative safety of a group, so if you want to press on, let's do that, just let's move now before those wolves are upon us."

EarlyBird

Explorer
Another mile down the road the forest finally gives way to rolling foothills. You stand among one of the highest at the forest's edge and can see the road meander down towards the west. Although you are out of the forest the sun is still obscured by low hanging grey clouds that move slowly across the sky.

The valley before you sits at the base of two large mountains that range out to the north and south, their caps white with snow. A small pass forms between them as they both stretch out into the hill country. The forest you just exited continues on north and seems to thicken (if that were possible), as it heads up into the highlands.

To the south the signs of a river can barely be glimpsed a mile away as it runs parallel to the road. The sounds of the wolves stopped behind you, and you believe they have returned to devouring the poor postman you encounter along the road.

A sign post sits along the roadside pointing in the same direction you have already been traveling. That reads "Village of Barovia, 2 miles". The cross section points to the south and reads "Ivlis River, 1 mile".

[sblock=Map]
CoS Map.jpg[/sblock]

Remove ads