log in or register to remove this ad

 

5E EB's Curse of Strahd IC (Year One)

EarlyBird

First Post
Digger slightly (only slightly) relaxes as he sense no undeath in the area. Folding his arms he waits for Halo to pry whatever information she can from the woman.

Irena walks to the top of the steps and gives the grieving mother a curious look. Seeing nothing amiss she turns her remarkable skills towards the room, trying to get a feel for what is going on.

Tilly stays close to her father and always behind him, to be out of the way just as she was taught. Josiah sees nothing amiss in the room, so cocks his head to listen to the conversation above.

Mad Mary.jpg Rubbing her eyes and wiping her nose, the distraught woman keeps back a few sobs as she speaks. "I tried. I tried so hard to protect her. I told her this land is evil. That monsters lurk everywhere and like nothing better than to eat little girls. But she didn't listen, she didn't want to stay. I did all this to protect her, but still she ran away."

Then it hits everyone like an open book telling them the answer. This woman boarded up her own home. Keep her daughter trapped in this little attic room. And was to scared of what lay beyond her door to go out looking for her, herself.
 

log in or register to remove this ad


hero4hire

First Post
Digger fought an internal battle with himself. Normally returning a lost child to their parent would be a priority to someone who dedicated himself to protecting the innocent. However, returning someone to what seemed to be the prisoner of a madwoman did not sit right. So characteristically the brooding man stood silent and let his current allies parlay with the wretched woman.
 


EarlyBird

First Post
The group promises the grieving mad woman that if they see her daughter they will send her home. Then they exit the home almost glad to be in the grayness of the foggy streets.

You haven't seen the sun since it first burnt away the strange mist that seemed to have brought each of you to these strange lands. But it must be early evening, so you venture towards the light you saw down the cobblestone street. Again as you walk the darkened pathways you see no one about, and most of the homes look dark and abandoned.

A single shaft of light thrusts illumination into the street, its brightness looking like a solid pillar of light in the heavy fog. Above the gaping doorway, a sign hangs precariously askew, proclaiming this to be the 'Blood of on the Vine' tavern.

Being no door on the establishment to bar your way, the group enters the brightly lit building. Inside the light is the only thing that is warm and welcoming as the barkeep never looks up or greets you, and there are only two tables with patrons at them.

The first table has three women sitting around it that stop their chat to look at the group as they enter, but then turn back to whatever it is they were discussing almost immediately. The odd thing about each of the women is they look like they may in some way be related to Mistress Eva, the fortune teller. Each is dressed like the gypsy woman, and each as the same raven black hair and sharp facial features.

The other table has one noble-bearing gentleman sitting alone near the fire. His glass of wine looks untouched and he nods in greeting as your eyes meet.
 

industrygothica

Adventurer
Halo returns the man's nod and cautiously eyes the women at the other table. Never one to turn down a drink, however, the dwarf makes her way to the bar and takes a seat. "Nice town ye got here," she says sarcastically. "Quite the cheery place."
 


hero4hire

First Post
Digger eyed the trio of women. The resemblance was remarkable and he did not believe in coincidence. He strode purposefully to their table. "Mistress Eva." he growled, his voice reminiscent of stone on stone. "You know of her?" He said, more of an accusation then question.

Sent from my SM-G950U using EN World mobile app
 

EarlyBird

First Post
The bartender grunts at Halo barely lifting his eyes from the mug he is wiping out. She has to order a drink as the man didn't seem to want to ask what she wanted or care she was sitting there. He places the mug he was cleaning under a barrel tap and fills it with a frothy dark ale. After sitting it down in front of her he grabs another mug from under the counter and proceeds to start wiping out that one as well.
__________________________________________________________

As Irena approaches the man alone at the table he rises in respect, and at her question a warm smile crosses his face.

Cos_Ismark.jpg "Please, I am Ismark Kolyanovich, it is a pleasure. I would be honored if you and your friends could join me." He says holding out a chair for Irena. "Your accent is strange, you are a traveler, yes?" he asks politely, if just a bit prying as he waits on an answer.
_____________________________________________

The three women eye Digger like they would a prized bull they were thinking of purchasing. One even licks her full lips before, she realizes she is staring at the big man. The other two also blink and have to look away, before they turn back to the blood hunter and respond to his direct questions.

"Mistress Eva has not been to town in months. Who are you and what do you want..." the eldest starts to say, before one of the women puts a hand on her arm.

"Four of them." the second women states as if that explained everything. "They have the look of Mist-Wanderers. Lost and not knowing what they seek."

"Do you know what you seek, wanderer?" the third asks just as pointedly as Digger had asked after Mistress Eva.
 
Last edited:

EarlyBird

First Post
Ismark looks concerned at Irena's silence and says, "I didn't mean to pry. Visitors are most welcomed here."
_______________________________

The barkeep refills Halo's mug after she empties it, but still doesn't offer anything other than a grunt or shrug by way of conversation.
_______________________________

Digger is left with more questions than he started with, and doesn't seemed to know where to start.
 
Last edited:

industrygothica

Adventurer
Halo purposefully ignores the three women to the point of being blatantly obvious about it while standing from the bar. "I'll join ye, if it's all the same. Halorafin Hallowforge, at yer service." Halo offers a thick, muscled, yet still feminine hand before she takes a seat.

"We're indeed travellers," she continues. "Albeit not of our own volition. Seems this land is... different." While the last was a statement, her inflection implies a question, hoping to lead the man into a conversation about just what in the Nine Hells is going on here.
 

hero4hire

First Post
Digger eyed the trio of women dangerously. "You answer questions with questions...Questions that you seem to already know the answers to. This time answer plainly. Why have we been brought here by your kin?"

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app
 

EarlyBird

First Post
Ismark stands and takes Halo's offered hand.

Cos_Ismark.jpg"Ismark Kolyanvich, at your service." he says before waiting for the dwarf to take her seat, before sitting back down. Noticing Irena has no drink he waves the barkeep to bring her a glass of wine. "You must mean the Mist that surrounds these lands. If not for them this land would be like any other sleepy valley found everywhere else."

He nods a thank you as the barkeep sits a clean glass of dark wine in front of Irena, the man ignores the gesture and heads back to cleaning glasses. "Anyone who attempts to leave the land of Barovia begins to choke on the fog. Those who don't turn back perish. It allows plenty of people in, but no one is allowed out. That is no one except the Vistani," he adds with a look to the three women talking to Digger.
________________________________________

The women all gwaff and try to hold in their laughter, to little effect, at the Blood Hunter's words. Finally the eldest wipes a tear from her eye and tries to answer. "Mistress Eva did not bring you here. You and your friends are all invited guest of 'The Devil Strahd'."

"Guest for dinner," one of the other women says through laughter and tears of her own.

"What did Eva say to you? Did she read for you? Surely she has let you in on how to escape your fate." The third asked a bit puzzled. "The game would not be much fun otherwise."
 


EarlyBird

First Post
HAHAHAHA,

It was Ismarks' turn to laugh. "Surely you don't mean Barovia?" he says with mirth. "I am sure you have seen grander pigsties on the poorest of farms where you are from." His shoulders shake a bit at the supposed jest.

The three women all turn to look at Ismark, their mouths tight, and their eyes disproving.
 

hero4hire

First Post
Digger gave a low throaty growl. But the trio of women gave him the information he needed. Strahd. The name rung in Digger's mind.

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app
 

EarlyBird

First Post
Ismark looks over at Digger and Joisah. "So the four of you are traveling together? And with a child also, that is dangerous." he says while toying with his half empty glass. "As it so happens I am looking to travel myself. It is no longer save her for me and my sister, but I worried that the two of us alone would not fair well. If you and your friends are willing I would like for you all to travel with us to Vallaki. It would make for a safer journey for all."
 


EarlyBird

First Post
"Well for one it is walled and gated," Ismark remarks truthfully. "And that helps to keep monsters from your doorstep. And two it is in the heart of the valley and beyond the view of The Castle."

OOC:
Insight DC 0 - telling the truth
And everyone can "hear" the capitals in the title of The Castle
 


Halloween Horror For 5E

Advertisement2

Advertisement4

Top