5E EB's Curse of Strahd IC (Year One)

tglassy

Explorer
"I've heard of Barovia. Legends of a land conquered long ago. The Lost King Gondegal used it as inspiration for his attacks on the city of Arabel. It's where he got the idea to use smoke powder and cannons." He pulled out one of his pistols, "Its where these came from. Well, their invention, anyway."

He studied the gates. "So...is this that legendary land, then? Never knew where it was. Didn't know anyone knew. Some kind of magic transported us, I suppose, but why?"

He looked down at Tilly. His voice was stern, but not unkind. "Get ahold of yourself, Little One. We've been in spookier places."


Sent from my iPhone using EN World
 
"I've heard of Barovia. Legends of a land conquered long ago. The Lost King Gondegal used it as inspiration for his attacks on the city of Arabel. It's where he got the idea to use smoke powder and cannons." He pulled out one of his pistols, "Its where these came from. Well, their invention, anyway."

He studied the gates. "So...is this that legendary land, then? Never knew where it was. Didn't know anyone knew. Some kind of magic transported us, I suppose, but why?"

He looked down at Tilly. His voice was stern, but not unkind. "Get ahold of yourself, Little One. We've been in spookier places."
"No, you haven't," Halo said. Her face had turned ghostly white, and her voice all but a whisper. "Hold your daddy tight, dear, and don't let him go."

"I've never heard of such a place. Is this even real? or some conjuration of the old woman"
"It's real," she continued. "Though I pray that it wasn't. As a child there was an old mystic in my homeland. She used to tell tales of a land called Barovia.. frightful tales that fueled the children's nightmares." Halo wades through the brush over to one of the massive stone heads lying at the feet of the statue, and gently caresses the intricate stonework.

"It is indeed old. The land is said to be ruled by a monstrous Darklord, and it is by his will alone that any are allowed passage through the borders of Barovia. If these tales are true, and it would appear that they are, then we are not the first to answer the Darklord's invitation. We're his playthings now, in a game that was never meant to be won."



Code:
[B]AC:[/B] 18; [B]HP:[/B] [COLOR=#FF000]19[/COLOR]/19
[B]Initiative:[/B] +0
[B]Saves:[/B] WIS +4, CHA +1
[B]Passive Perception:[/B] 12
[B]Languages:[/B] Dwarf, Common, Elf
Darkvision 60 ft.
[B]Skills:[/B] History +2, Insight +4, Medicine +4, Religion +2
[B]Stats:[/B] Str 16 (+3), Dex 10 (+0) , Con 16 (+3), Int 10 (+0), Wis 15 (+2), Cha 8 (-1)

-[B]Inspiration[/B]? [ ] Yes, [[COLOR=#FF0000]X[/COLOR]] No
-[B]Channel Divinity (2 uses per short or long rest)[/B]? 1.[ ] 2.[ ]
-[B]Blessing of the Forge[/B] used? [ ] Yes, [[COLOR=#FF0000]X[/COLOR]] No

[B]Spell Slots:[/B] 3, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0
[B]Slots Used:[/B]  0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0
[B]Spells Prepared:[/B] (6)
[LIST]
[*][B]Cantrips:[/B] Guidance, Light, Sacred Flame
[*][B]Domain Spells:[/B] Identify (*), Searing Smite
[*][B]1st Level:[/B] Bless (*), Cure Wounds (*), Healing Word (*), Sanctuary
[/LIST]
(*) can be cast at higher levels

[B]Money:[/B]67gp 0sp 0cp

[URL="http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?592543-EB-s-Curse-of-Strahd-RG-(group-2017-2018)&p=7261299&viewfull=1#post7261299"]Full character sheet[/URL]
 

hero4hire

Villager
Digger snorted derisively. "Darklord...Well I don't play games. But I do kill Monsters. He made a mistake if this was his doing." Digger then continued towards the gates to enter the Dreadful Domain.
 

EarlyBird

Villager
OOC: Assuming everyone follows...if not let me know.


The woods again close in around the party as they continue along the road. It seems unnatural that the tall untouched trees should just stop as if an invisible barrier keeps them from growing across the rutted earth. After passing through the gatehouse the clouds moved to converge on what little light the ancient oaks were allowing in from the sun. You walk on in a black and grey world with only the brown road to break up the monotony of the shadowy trees.

About another mile down the road, Digger (leading the group). Stops sharply. Irena nearly bumps into the big man, and before she can ask Digger puts a finger to his lips to hush her.

Then the tall tense man seems to relax as if some danger has passed. Irena finally catches the smell that brought Digger up short and crinkles her nose. Something has died and is now rotting away. Looking about she sees a pair of booted feet barely visible through the brush.

She gets Digger's attention and points to the bush.
 

EarlyBird

Villager
OOC: Read Aloud:
The foul scent leads you to a human corpse half-buried in the underbrush about five feet from the road. The young man appears to be a commoner. His muddy clothes are torn and raked with claw marks. Crows have been at the body, which is surrounded by paw prints. The man has obviously been dead for several days. He holds a crumpled envelope in one hand.


The slip of paper has been sealed in red wax with a large "B" set in the center.

[sblock=Should you take and read the letter]
koylanletter2.png[/sblock]
 
Halo takes the envelope gently from the corpse's fingers and breaks the seal. The pulls out the paper from within and reads it aloud to those present.
 

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
Irena shudders at the coincidence of the similar names. "Ireena..." she mutters absently.

She regains her composure. "Vampires! I've heard tales of such creatures, if they are here, we should simply leave. This road goes two ways."

OOC: Irena pronounces her name "ih-RAY-nah", FWIW, not "eye-REE-na"
 

tglassy

Explorer
Josiah studies the note. He looks to his daughter, then back at the note. He’d dealt with night spawn before. In fact, he typically hunted them. But with Tilly...he couldn’t bring her into this. He needed to protect her from these creatures.

“Normally, I’d love to hunt something like this. But I have places to be. I say we get out of here as quickly as possible.”


Sent from my iPad using EN World
 

EarlyBird

Villager
The group spends a couple minutes away from the body discussing the note. Through it they understand that this vampire must have been the conqueror of Barovia, but why would such a creature want the four of them to come here, and didn't Madam Eva the fortune teller say they're were items and people they would need to find before they confronted this Darklord.

While you weigh your options a wolf's howl breaks through the air. It sounds a good way off, but is soon answered by another howl, though this one is a lot closer than the first.
 

hero4hire

Villager
While the others discussed the letter a deep but low growl rumbled from Digger. He took his large spade and with a single thrust downward he beheaded the corpse. He knealt over the corpse about to do something else when the distant howls caused him to shoot back up to his feet.
 
The howling interrupted any thought of concentration on plans for retreat. Were they really getting closer, or was that some trick of the mist sending the haunting sounds swirling through the ghostly air? Halo takes the battleaxe from her back, a sturdy thing with a thick handle and a smooth, glimmering blade that hadn't seen enough use. She tightens her grip on the leather bindings. "We best be moving," she says softly.

OOC: Can we tell which direction the sound is coming from? Specifically, from the town, or from the way we came?
 

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
"Okay, I'm not willing to leave the relative safety of a group, so if you want to press on, let's do that, just let's move now before those wolves are upon us."
 

EarlyBird

Villager
Another mile down the road the forest finally gives way to rolling foothills. You stand among one of the highest at the forest's edge and can see the road meander down towards the west. Although you are out of the forest the sun is still obscured by low hanging grey clouds that move slowly across the sky.

The valley before you sits at the base of two large mountains that range out to the north and south, their caps white with snow. A small pass forms between them as they both stretch out into the hill country. The forest you just exited continues on north and seems to thicken (if that were possible), as it heads up into the highlands.

To the south the signs of a river can barely be glimpsed a mile away as it runs parallel to the road. The sounds of the wolves stopped behind you, and you believe they have returned to devouring the poor postman you encounter along the road.

A sign post sits along the roadside pointing in the same direction you have already been traveling. That reads "Village of Barovia, 2 miles". The cross section points to the south and reads "Ivlis River, 1 mile".

[sblock=Map]
CoS Map.jpg[/sblock]
 

Advertisement

Top