ECL of Monsters Part III: Are Ogres ECL 8? The Adventures of Ghorgor.

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
If you remember, there has been a controversy in the past weeks over the ECL of Monsters as published in Dragon Magazine.

Beside the lizardfolk (ECL 4), the Ogre were singled as having an unreasonably high ECL. Some felt that ECL 8 made the ogre useless as PCs.

As I mentionned in previous posts, I designed a 3rd level fighter Ogre (ECL 11) that would adventure with my 11th level party in order to see if he was a deadweight or if he was actually useful.

See my post in this thread for the stats of Ghorgor (It's about the fifth post from the top)

I had an human 11th level fighter NPC that was also adventuring with the PCs in order to provide a counterpoint. Sadly, this NPC already existed IMC and wasn't designed to exactly mirror Ghorgor. He favored light armor, scimitar and shield over heavy armor and THW.

Still, the result were very encouraging and I'm pleased to say that Ghorgor was very present in and out of the battlefield.

The first session only had one fight scene and lasted about 3h30 so I can't draw definitive conclusion but here are my first observations;

Before we entered combat, Ghorgor was fun to play. Was he useful out of combat? Some people felt that because the ogre was less useful socially than a normal fighter, he should get an edge in fighting.

Let me put it this way; Socially Ghorgor was exactly as useful as the 11th level human fighter, the 11th level psychic warrior or the awakened tiger: Not at all.

Does it matter for game balance that the fighter can attempt diplomacy check at -1 while Ghorgor must do it at -3 (and circumstance penalty)? Nope. Because anyway it's the cleric with his +10 who will do any diplomacy check that need to be done. Or perhaps the rogue with his lower diplomacy but his much better bluff.

But Ghorgor was still just as involved and fun nonetheless. His shameful secret (he loves to paint) came up and his surpising intellect lead him to talk philosophy with the awakened tiger. What more do you need to have fun when roleplaying?

(Yeah I know, fun is not a balance factor, don't point it out)

COMBAT:

How did he do? Very well. He hits like a jackhammer! And he is a true terror with cleave. He might be the first (N)PC in one of my campaign that might have some use for great cleave; because of his reach he can usually find someone to use cleave on. As a matter of fact he cleaved twice in the fight.

His opponents were all Large: half-construct ogres and a minotaur. Ghorgor's reach allowed him to charge without getting AoOed and threaten more than one opponent at a time. The other PCs couldn't do that.

Did he overshadow the fighter or the psychic warrior?

Well it wasn't a good fight for the PsyWar, he got grappled early and didn't do much. Still, no one else has a move of 50 and an AC of 30 when powered up! As for the fighter, let me put it this way; he has a significant edge in HP, 1 more attack than Ghorgor, a slightly better Attack bonus and quite a lot of feat. In fact, he had spring attack which made him the PC who had the easier time engaging the ogres after Ghorgor himself.

My fears: If fireballs and lightning bolts start raining down he might have some trouble because of his relatively low HP as opposed to the other front line fighters. I guess this would put a premium on finding items that protect against common energy damages. His will save is a little weak but isn't much lower than that of most fighters.

What I would like to see in the following session: I'd like to see the player controlling Ghorgor in combat use Bullrush, Disarm, Sunder and Trip (with his stone halberd). These are tactics that favor Ghorgor, especially against M opponents.

Overall:

So far, so good. Ghorgor is holding his own and I have a blast roleplaying him.

More fight will help to better gauge the situation.

Last edited:

MythandLore

First Post
Umm...
Hmm...
Okay as a player race,
Lizardfolk are +2 ECL
and
Ogres are +5 ECL
They are +2 and +5 in both the DMG (p.22), and in the FRCS (p.288).
Trolls are the one's that are +8 ECL.
Now I don't have the Dragon issue, but I thought the +ECL's in it were for cohorts or something?
I donno, but I'm sticking with the ECL's already in two of the Hardback Books, including a "Core Rule Book".
Does the SRD say anything about it?

Wolfspider

Explorer
Mal: Very interesting. I'm glad things worked out. I think your analysis is very good. Good point about will saves and elemental damage.

Mythandlore: Bless your soul. :)

The article in Dragon is material taken straight from the upcoming Tooth and Claw book, which will be the definitive guide to monster characters for 3rd edition D&D. In that way the ECLs listed in the article are as official as any other non-core supplement; that is, it's all up to the DM.

In any case, as someone pointed out to me, the ECL of 2 listed in the FRCS book for lizardfolk has been changed in the official errata to 4. Trolls are now ECL 11.

I look forward to hearing any other comments or playtesting information.

Last edited:

MythandLore

First Post
OMG...
They rasied Trolls to 11!?
Have you guys ever played monster characters using the DMG or FRCS rules?
8 was okay, your on par with other fighters and stuff in the party.
11, +3 worse, no way, NO WAY.
Seriously, would anyone every want to play a Lizardfolk (a CR1 monster) for a year in a game if he has a ECL +4?
The Troll was good at +8, +11 no I don't think so, I'd never play one, they are out of control.

Let me check the MM again real quick, maybe Lizardfolk were superheroes and I missed it.

Okay, so basically they want you to spend 4 levels to get +2 STR, +2 CON, 2d8 HD, +5 Natural Armor, a few skill bonuses (crappy), claws and bite (crappy).
That's really crappy.
+3 is really really pushing it, +4, no I can't see that ever.

MythandLore

First Post
The biggest problem I have with the whole ECL system is how CR work.

A Player has a Human Fighter level 12.
A NPC is a Human Fighter level 12 (CR 12).
One on One, around a "50%" chance of winning.

Now a Player has a Troll Fighter level 1 (ECL 12).
A NPC is a Troll Fighter level 7 (CR 12).
One on One, the player dies a horrible horrible death.

Did they change that?

Something has to be fixed.
But I don't think giving Trolls +11 ECL or Tarrasques +80 ECL is going to fix it.

Wolfspider

Explorer
Well, it's important to remember that CR and ECL represent two completely different things. But I'll leave the explanation of that issue to more eloquent people....

But I'll give it a shot. :D

Now a Player has a Troll Fighter level 1 (ECL 12).
A NPC is a Troll Fighter level 7 (CR 12).
One on One, the player dies a horrible horrible death.

Well, the PC should die in this case, since CR represents what a part of FOUR 12th level characters should be able to take on. The poor Troll fighter 1 is horrible outmatched. CR represents the comparitive danger and power of an encounter that a party of four will face; ECL represents the comparitive power of a creature that will be part of a group of adventurers over the long haul.

Mythandlore, you've kinda dropped in on a debate in progress. If you want to read up on what's been said before, go take a look at these two threads:

Lizardfolk = ECL 4?!?!

Monster ECLs, Part 2 (was "Lizardfolk = 4?!?")

Enjoy!

Last edited:

MythandLore

First Post
Mmm...
Doesn't look so much in progress as finished 2 days ago.
Can you give me an idea of what you guys came up with in the 8 pages worth of posts?
Just sum it up the basics of it in a few lines.

Wolfspider

Explorer
Well, the debate isn't quite dead, since this is part three of it. :D We were just waiting for Mal to finish his field research.... :eek:

In summary? Well, I think the general consensus was that the ECL numbers listed in the article were a bit too high, but that the authors of Tooth and Claw were erring on the side of caution. One wise poster said that it would be easier for a DM to lower the ECL on a case-by-case basis than to have to raise it if he found that a particular race was too powerful. I tend to agree, even though it personally affects the hapless lizardfolk druid I'm currently playing.

Last edited:

MythandLore

First Post
Oh, and regardless of CR and ECL being "diffrent".
It don't change the fact that it's all screwy and needs fixin'.

NPC Human Fighter L12 (CR12) is saposed to be an equal challange as a Troll Fighter L7 (CR12) according to the rules.
I don't think they do.
PC Human Fighter L12 = NPC Human Fighter L12
PC Troll Fighter L1 DON'T= a NPC Troll Fighter L7
Fix it, it's broke.

Last edited:

Remove ads