D&D General Wizard vs Fighter - the math

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
My issue is that D&D keeps getting more general as time goes on and WotC chases maximum profit and the widest possible fanbase, to the point where the game is completely unfocused, corporately packaged, and bland as anything.
D&D isn't even a Generalist game.

D&D is the McDonald's of D&D. Not even today's McDonald's. Old time McDonald's before it has salads and vegan options.

Just burgers and fries.

Oofta

Legend
My issue is that D&D keeps getting more general as time goes on and WotC chases maximum profit and the widest possible fanbase, to the point where the game is completely unfocused, corporately packaged, and bland as anything.

So ... D&D is bad because they didn't get you on the phone and have a discussion about what specific niche you want? How dare they try to make an accessible game that millions of people enjoy playing! :rolleyes:

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
So ... D&D is bad because they didn't get you on the phone and have a discussion about what specific niche you want? How dare they try to make an accessible game that millions of people enjoy playing! :rolleyes:
Accessible isn't a synonym for unfocused or bland. They could have decided what the game is about and designed for it. You know, like every other RPG. The problem is that WotC thinks they're better than other game companies because more people know about their stuff.

Oofta

Legend
Accessible isn't a synonym for unfocused or bland. They could have decided what the game is about and designed for it. You know, like every other RPG. The problem is that WotC thinks they're better than other game companies because more people know about their stuff.
The game is what you make of it. My games aren't bland. As far as what WOTC thinks ... I assume they think they got lucky that 5Es as successful as it is because in order to keep D&D afloat they need to make a profit.

I just don't understand why people think the game should be designed for their specific tastes. D&D has always been targeted as a general TTRPG, not a bespoke custom work of art.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I was responding to this:

I don't think it is designed around a "one size fits all" mentality. I feel like it encompasses many styles of play.
IMO. D&D is about as one size fits all as pizza.

Most Everyone likes pizza and D&D let’s you customize your pizza with hundreds of different toppings but at the end of the day it’s still pizza. Even if you add steak on top it’s not going to be a steak dinner.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter

Most Everyone likes pizza and D&D let’s you customize your pizza with hundreds of different toppings but at the end of the day it’s still pizza. Even if you add steak on top it’s not going to be a steak dinner.
I see it more like a fast casual burger joint. Like Five Guys or Smashburger.

Hamburger
Cheeseburger
Pizza burger
Texas burger
Mushroom burger
Chicken Burger

Edit: you can't order chicken parmigiana on fettuccine alfredo.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I see it more like a fast casual burger joint. Like Five Guys or Smashburger.

Hamburger
Cheeseburger
Pizza burger
Texas burger
Mushroom burger
Chicken Burger
It works out about the same. Most of the good pizza toppings are made by 3pp, since WotC is sourcing its more basic toppings with the lowest bidder.

My metaphor may be getting away from me.

Oofta

Legend

You also don't go to a pizza chain that has always been a pizza chain and complain that it's not a steakhouse. 🤷‍♂️

Oofta

Legend
sure. But you do complain if someone tells you that the pizza chain caters to every major taste when all it serves is a bunch of different kinds of pizzas. (And maybe wings/a few sandwiches).
Well, I wouldn't say that pizza, or any game, can be for everyone. That doesn't mean pizza isn't flexible food that comes with a lot of options for toppings and styles.

Remove ads