Ed Greenwood retweets homophobic Indiegogo campaign, is also Senior Editor on project

hunter1828

Butte Hole Surfer
Ran across this on Reddit a moment ago...

"Ed Greenwood, creator of The Forgotten Realms just retweeted a tweet about a product that says "Back us. This is the book we wanted instead of Snowflake/Safespace, instead of bisexuality Xmen.... ""

"[It was] pointed out that on the Indiegogo Campaign it even lists Ed as the Senior Editor for this project too. Even more disappointing."

Man has an opinion. Expressed it.

People used to be honest about how they feel. As a non-white person, I prefer to know what people actually think.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Man has an opinion. Expressed it.

Mod Note:
And people can have opinions about his opinions, and express them.

So, you should have no problem here.

People used to be honest about how they feel.

Except for those who got forced into the closet, and out of circles of opportunity, by bigotry, you mean.

EN World supports diversity and inclusion, and works toward a community where folks do not have to fear or be excluded for being who they are.

JEB

Legend
The thread in question:
Edit: Hmm. Link's not showing up properly for me, but it's near the top of r/dndnext. Thread title is exactly what was in the OP:

Ed Greenwood, creator of The Forgotten Realms just retweeted a tweet about a product that says "Back us. This is the book we wanted instead of Snowflake/Safespace, instead of bisexuality Xmen.... "​

I know in certain LGBTQIA comic circles the cancelled SafeSpace/SnowFlake NewWarriors line and the bisexual heroes storyline are often seen as examples of doing inclusion totally wrong and he could be trying to address that.... or he could just be slamming the door on any sort of inclusion and diversity. It is hard to tell with one person pulling a selected quote out of context, but I would will dig deeper to research what he is trying to say here.

I mean I literally think that I was the only one who thought heroes named SafeSpace and SnowFlake might be an interesting premise for characters. Pretty much everyone else on the internet lambasted it, both people who want inclusion and those opposed.

I read the first part of the Reddit thread for some context.

It seems that the issue is with tokenistic representation (Snowflake and Safespace are/were actual comic book characters; I had no idea), and Ed (or the original tweet) was advocating for deeper storytelling.

Still, it behooves him to choose how he represents himself more carefully.

Osgood

Adventurer
I'm more bothered by the "bisexuality [sic] X-men" part of his quote than the reference to the two poorly done and never appearing inclusive characters. A quick dig into the creator via Google search shows that he's... wow. A piece of work.
Even that seems to be a reference to a specific storyline involving established characters having an unexpected sexual encounter. I think the whole post is about poorly done pandering. Kinda seems like people are jumping to conclusions (but I don’t know for sure).

Remove ads