D&D General Ed Greenwood Working on Volo's Guide to Ormpur

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
This trend of original setting creators using DMsGuild to write unofficial content for their settings is fascinating. On the one hand, it is cool to see the original creators' visions of their worlds, and I hope they are financially successful doing so. On the other hand, all that they create is still owned by WotC and could be "stolen" without recourse.
They would be doing work for hire and it would all belong to WotC either way. This way, they can publish without editor or developer feedback, meaning it can be more of their own voice and artistic choices.

dave2008

Legend
This trend of original setting creators using DMsGuild to write unofficial content for their settings is fascinating. On the one hand, it is cool to see the original creators' visions of their worlds, and I hope they are financially successful doing so. On the other hand, all that they create is still owned by WotC and could be "stolen" without recourse.
That seems an odd distinction since any work any creator does with WotC IP, whether inside or out of the DMs Guild, would still be owned by WotC. The only distinction with DMsGuild is the creator can write whatever they want.

Reynard

Legend
They would be doing work for hire and it would all belong to WotC either way. This way, they can publish without editor or developer feedback, meaning it can be more of their own voice and artistic choices.
Oh, I know, but with it being their versions of those worlds, developed independently, it must be a weird thing. As a freelancer, I have done some WFH setting development that I later regretted "giving away" for various reasons. I can't imagine how Greenwood or Baker feel

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Oh, I know, but with it being their versions of those worlds, developed independently, it must be a weird thing. As a freelancer, I have done some WFH setting development that I later regretted "giving away" for various reasons. I can't imagine how Greenwood or Baker feel
Greenwood has been pretty vovsl about being happy with his deal, roller coaster and all, because he gets to read stories ert in his world that surprise him.

dave2008

Legend
From everything I have seen they are pretty happy about it. I mean they know the deal going in. Their ideas are not stolen, they are freely given by the creators.

Last edited:

Remove ads