D&D General Ed Greenwood's Original Forgotten Realms Map

Alex Kammer, the director of Gamehole Con, has shared some photos of the original map of the Forgotten Realms as drawn by Ed Greenwood himself, with Sage Advice D&D. More images at the link!

Alex Kammer, the director of Gamehole Con, has shared some photos of the original map of the Forgotten Realms as drawn by Ed Greenwood himself, with Sage Advice D&D. More images at the link!

IMG_7931.jpg

fr2.jpg

fr5.jpg

Or "Burger of the Crypt."

But seriously, yes, Dungeon of the Crypt is it!

Dungeon of the Crypt
Located beneath the northern end of the City of the Dead and the southern end of North Ward, the Dungeon of the Crypt was constructed at the behest of Artor Morlin, a powerful and cunning vampire, during the Second Troll War. Legendary in the South as an enemy of all things Calishite, the mercenary lord moved north to Waterdeep after the construction of Castle Daggerford over the ruins of his old castle in the Year of the Advancing Wind (947 DR) and found the burgeoning city to his liking.

macloud

Explorer
On the Sage Advice page, there's a close-up picture of the Moonshaes, where you can see how it was a later addition taped kver the original map. You can even see the blue shore outlines of the original islands under the taped-on section!
Its a pity we'll probubly now never see what the moonshae was originally intended to look like.

Well, unless WOTC were will to let Ed reveal it [or maybe release the islands as a standalone setting].

R_J_K75

Legend

Its a pity we'll probubly now never see what the moonshae was originally intended to look like.

Id be curious how much Ed Greenwood detailed of the Realms while actually playing and running games in it before selling it to TSR? I think the majority of his games took place in Waterdeep/Undermountain or the Dales. I wouldnt be surprised if alot of it was detailed for Dragon/Polyhedron and then TSR books after and never played in. He most likely drew out the whole map at some point but I doubt every location was fleshed out more than a very basic idea.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
Id be curious how much Ed Greenwood detailed of the Realms while actually playing and running games in it before selling it to TSR? I think the majority of his games took place in Waterdeep/Undermountain or the Dales. I wouldnt be surprised if alot of it was detailed for Dragon/Polyhedron and then TSR books after and never played in. He most likely drew out the whole map at some point but I doubt every location was fleshed out more than a very basic idea.

It'd be a lot to read through at this point, but I'll throw it out there for anyone who is unfamiliar with Candlekeep.

Ed Greenwod has been answering direct player questions there about the Realms since 2004 and there are threads and threads of his responses. Some have gems from him or his representative on the boards from his home game and how things go/went at different points

Ask Ed - 2004
Questions for Ed Greenwood - 2004
Questions for Ed Greenwood - 2005
Questions for Ed Greenwood - 2006
Questions for Ed Greenwood - 2007
Questions for Ed Greenwood - 2008
Questions for Ed Greenwood - 2009
Questions for Ed Greenwood - 2010
Questions for Ed Greenwood - 2011
Questions for Ed Greenwood - 2012
Questions for Ed Greenwood - 2013
Questions for Ed Greenwood - 2014
Questions for Ed Greenwood - 2015
Questions for Ed Greenwood - 2016
Questions for Ed Greenwood - 2017,2018,2019
Questions for Ed Greenwood - Twitter - started in Jan 2019

There are also other FR Authors and Designers who have presences on that board if the FR is something you want to know more about, there is a rabbit hole for you...

EDIT - @Ralif Redhammer I was wrong about the middle one as cleared up by a post from today in the Questions for Ed - Twitter thread.

It reads "The Blue Alley" and now that it has been pointed out, it is completely clear to me that is correct.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads