Edgar Rice Burroughs' Mars: Shadows of a Dying World

Starglim

Explorer
Skirmisher Publishing LLC announces the electronic (PDF) release of Edgar Rice Burroughs' Mars: Shadows of a Dying World, written by Jim Clunie and the Skirmisher Development Group.

Drawn from the Mars series of Edgar Rice Burroughs, this is the red planet not as it exists, but as astronomers and writers at the turn of the 20th century thought it might be. On this Mars, elegant city-states rise along the banks of world-spanning canals, luxurious airships ply the thin atmosphere, feisty princesses and feckless nobles are menaced by killers of the drear dried-up sea-beds, and skilled swordsmen defend the age-old edicts of dynasties that have ruled for aeons.

Despite both wondrous technology and mysterious mental abilities developed beyond the comprehension of Earthlings, however, the most farsighted of the Martians know that the history of their world is drawing toward its end, and that its life-giving atmosphere and waterways are already sustained only by vast efforts of engineering.

Shadows of a Dying World presents the unique wonders and dangers posed by the weirdly sentient denizens of Burroughs' Mars. Creatures covered in Shadows of a Dying World include the Apt, Banth, Calot, Corphal, Great White Ape, Green Martian, Kaldane, Rykor, Plant Man, Silian, Sith, Thoat, Ulsio, and Zitidar.

Other features of this book include guidelines for using Burroughs' creatures in both Mars and non-Mars campaign settings, Martian random encounter tables, new Feats, the Class Defense Bonus combat option and original illustrations by artists Brendan Cass, Dragan Ćirić, Sharon Daugherty, William Hazzard II, and Geoff Weber. This download also includes Combined Creature Creation, a 52-page bonus document compiled and used during the creation of this book and provided as a useful tool for game masters.

This rules in this book are based on the d20 system as it is presented in the revised 3rd edition of the fantasy SRD. This is a preview of a complete roleplaying game based on Edgar Rice Burroughs' Mars setting that will provide core rules based on the latest edition of the d20 system that are adapted to this unique milieu, including classes, skills, feats, technological devices, psionic powers, and campaign setting information.

Shadows of a Dying World is available for $11.99 from Tuesday 11 December at RPGNow, Paizo.com, Your Games Now and Amazon .

Last edited:

GMSkarka

Explorer
Best of luck. We spent a year in legal wrangling with ERB, Inc. when we were releasing MARS, and our setting was a pastiche of the Planetary Romance genre, not using Burroughs' name or IP at all.

Starglim

Explorer
GMSkarka said:
Best of luck. We spent a year in legal wrangling with ERB, Inc. when we were releasing MARS, and our setting was a pastiche of the Planetary Romance genre, not using Burroughs' name or IP at all.

Thanks for your good wishes! We've kept ERB, Inc. informed.

HalWhitewyrm

First Post
Given the broohaha that ERB, Inc. formed with Adamant, I'm surprised to see this go out with the name and everything. Is this fully licensed by ERB, Inc? I'm just curious how one got through while the other one didn't.

Starglim

Explorer
I very much enjoyed Lizard's work on "Iron Lords of Jupiter" and what I've seen of the Mars d20 preview. I'm curious, to be honest, what concerns were raised and what Adamant changed.

Last edited:

Starglim

Explorer
We've updated the download files for Shadows of a Dying World to add bookmarks, improve the included Compiled Creature Creation RTF and generally make a better package. Purchasers should have already received an update notice.

joela

First Post
paizo

Skirmisher Publishing LLC announces the electronic (PDF) release of Edgar Rice Burroughs' Mars: Shadows of a Dying World, written by Jim Clunie and the Skirmisher Development Group.
<snikt>

Shadows of a Dying World is available for $11.99 from Tuesday 11 December at RPGNow, Paizo.com, Your Games Now and Amazon .

Cross-linked over at Paizo. Let us know if you'll set up a Download shop(?) over there: I'm trying to minimize the number of places to shop these days.

Starglim

Explorer
Cross-linked over at Paizo. Let us know if you'll set up a Download shop(?) over there: I'm trying to minimize the number of places to shop these days.

That's great, thanks for the mention! Skirmisher Publishing products are on Paizo as well - link in the quote.

I see that Pathfinder #14 has just gone up in PDF and am going to read about Akiton immediately.

Remove ads